Author Topic: 10 months and 4 x 8oz bottles  (Read 1705 times)

Offline choc

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: July 07, 2016, 13:36:14 pm »
Ds2 is nearly 10 months and still has 4 x 8oz bottles a day. He  pretty much drinks them all, occasionally leaves around an oz. He is blw so not sure exactly how much he is eating but it seems like quite a lot and he usually finishes  the portions that nursery offer him. He is around 24lb ish, though haven't weighed him for a while.
Should I leave him to it or cut down to 3 bottles? We were off the bottles at 12 months with ds1 and I'd like to do the same again but can't see that happening right now.
Gemma

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 10 months and 4 x 8oz bottles
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 16:24:45 pm »
Why don't you start gradually reducing the 2 day time bottles and offer a solid snack with them? Given that he is drinking 4 good sized bottles still that's probably a better way to make the transition rather than dropping to 3. It's usual to drop to 3 because they don't take so much of the 2 day time bottles so you consolidate to 1 and then drop that one.

That's what I'd do anyway!

Laura

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 19:24:24 pm »
Thanks for that.  He seems to have dropped a few oz himself the last couple of days. Once I have the 2 bottles down to 4oz each is that the time to then make the 2 bottles into one 8oz bottle? 
Gemma

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 10 months and 4 x 8oz bottles
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 19:32:21 pm »
Thanks for that.  He seems to have dropped a few oz himself the last couple of days. Once I have the 2 bottles down to 4oz each is that the time to then make the 2 bottles into one 8oz bottle? 

You can do - I'm not sure there is an ideal time or amount! We dropped to 3 bottles at 8 months with my refluxing DD as she just wouldn't take decent bottles closer together and it was to get her to take the minimum 20oz in 24 hours.

What works for most people at this age with naps is to do a wake up bottle, the second bottle after lunch and before the afternoon nap and then a bedtime bottle. If it fitted, I used to give her a snack before her morning nap (depending on how much breakfast she ate) and then lunch was about 11.30 ish so that she took a decent bottle about 2pm. We used to do evening meal about 4.30pm so she was ready for her bedtime bottle after a bath about 7pm.

I meant to say too - sorry about the late reply, I've been away visiting the inlaws :-X with not very good internet!

Laura

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 20:00:47 pm »
Lol that's OK!
Yes my ds1 was not a good milk drinker and has been on 3 bottles for a while by now, so this is all new to me!
Thanks for the advice. Really I suppose I just wanted to know if I should start cutting his milk down myself as he doesn't really seem to be doing it!
Gemma