Author Topic: 15 month old-time to drop the second nap????  (Read 780 times)

Offline karireyn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
15 month old-time to drop the second nap????
« on: July 18, 2016, 03:31:47 am »
Hi all-

I have a question for all you experts  :). My son is 15 months old and an angel/textbook baby. We've done the baby whisperer EASY system since day 1 and it has worked fantastically but now I've run into a bit of an issue. About 3 months ago I thought maybe it was time to drop his second nap because he didn't seem tired when I put him down for his morning nap but then we started getting a lot of EW (he usually wakes up at 7 and was waking up at 5:30/6). So I figured it wasn't time yet and he's been doing great with the two naps until about 2 weeks ago. Now he's having a hard time falling asleep at night, taking an hour or more, which has never happened. And we have the EW, getting up at 5:30 or 6. I think he is ready to drop the first nap and go down to just 1 a day but I have no idea how to even start the transition. I'll give you an outline of his schedule right now and hopefully you all will have an idea of where to start

5:30-6 Wake Up-give a bottle and leave him in his crib until 7/7:30 hoping he'll fall back asleep
8:00-Breakfast
8:30-Play
9:30-1st Nap-he falls asleep within minutes
11:30-12-WU
12:30 Lunch
1:00-Play
2:00-Snack
2:30/3-2nd Nap usually sleeps 45 min or so
3:30ish-WU
3:30-Snack
6:00-Dinner
7:00 Bed-usually takes an hour or more to settle and finally falls asleep around 8 or 8:30

He's always been a really great sleeper and the only time we've had an issue is when it's time for a nap transition, I'm really bad at figure those out. Because he's not getting his usual 12 hour nighttime sleep he has been pretty cranky the last couple of weeks. I'm not totally sure what to do, if it is time to make the transition how do I go about doing it?

If he's waking up at 5:30 I don't think he can make it until noon to take a nap, and if he takes his nap at 9:30 in the morning he won't make it until bed time. I'm at a loss and appreciate any help.

Thanks-

One tired mom

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 15 month old-time to drop the second nap????
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 04:44:34 am »
The ew from a while back was probably a sign he needed to move towards one nap. Tbh I was impatient and went cold turkey with all 3 of my kids. An alternative would be to allow a very short am catnap to see him through to later nap and allow that one to be longer, but keep in mind that if the first nap is too early/long it will perpetuate the ew!
Heidi