Author Topic: 6 wo, EBF, refuse bottle suddenly  (Read 2307 times)

Offline needasleepingangel

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
6 wo, EBF, refuse bottle suddenly
« on: July 08, 2016, 22:36:57 pm »
I am not sure whether I should post it here or bottle feeding forum.

My 6 wo DD is EBF, and I always pump one bottle (sometimes two) to dream feed her at night. (As suggested in Tracy's book, and I will need to go back to work in 2 months.) And there has been no problem until two days ago.

Suddenly, the day before yesterday, she had one bottle at 21:26 (DF), but refuse to take another one at 23:45 (DF). That morning, I had a cup of milk. She seemed to have reflux that afternoon since she spit more often and made weird choking sound. But I actually had milk a few days ago too, and it didn't seem to cause any problem. But anyway, dairy products are not in my diet anymore.

Yesterday, she again refused bottle dream feeding at 23:00. This time I gave her expressed milk from a few days ago, so diet should not be a problem.

Today, as we need to visit the doctor's, I prepared another bottle of milk pumped a few days ago. She refused again. In the afternoon, I gave her some milk I pumped 2 hours ago, she refused it.

I am already handful with her 45min nap, sleeping only in carrier, at least 4 night feedings problems, now, a new one. Not to mention I also have a toddler to take care of. OMG! I know why some moms have postpartum blue. :'(

Please help. Many thanks.

Offline N_Mom_S

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 10:24:34 am »
Could she be teething? I'm no expert but could it be it hurts her when she sucks?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 6 wo, EBF, refuse bottle suddenly
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 17:40:27 pm »
She probably just prefers the breast. I'd keep trying with the bottle but BF her shortly after if she refuses.  Maybe just offer an ounce each time so you aren't wasting too much if she refuses.

Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 20:27:38 pm »
N_Mom_S, I don't notice that she is teething. But I should definitely check again carefully. Thanks a lot.

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 20:34:17 pm »
Ali, thanks for the advice. I tried to give her the bottle first last night for DF, and she refused at the beginning but finished the bottle in the end.  :)
And another weird thing is that she suddenly spent much less time on BF as well. Usually she eats for 30-40 minutes, including burping time in between. But this week, 15-20 min is the average. She is not sick and I don't think she eats much faster than before. I can't think of any reason for this sudden change. Any clue? Thanks.

Offline N_Mom_S

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 09:33:50 am »
That reminds me a bit of when my son was teething (but he also complained when BF, and I guess your DD doesn't), but it could also be that she is a more efficient nurser at this point and gets the same amount of milk faster. Do you feel she empties the breasts as much as before? If so, it could be that.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 10:33:24 am »
It's completely normal for a baby to suddenly start nursing for much shorter periods of time. We even hve a FAQ about it "My baby doesn't nurse as long as she used to"

What teat are you using on the bottle? Newborn still? Just wondering if the flow might be too slow or fast for her.

Also, how often are you feeding in the day? Do you wait for cues or are you offering on a schedule? Maybe she is ready for more spaced out feeds.

Do you think she needs that many DFs in quick succession? Maybe she just isn't hungry again yet when you offer?

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 12:34:47 pm »
Thanks, N_Mom_S. DD is not teething and is not more efficient nursing than before. She definitely gets less milk as her wet diaper is less heavy than before. We always change her after each feeding during the day.

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 14:44:43 pm »
Thanks, Ali.

I have read the FAQ. For DD, 1. her wet diapers are not as heavy as before, we always change her after each feed during the day. 2. she may be happy. But I am not sure. She chose not to get back on even if I offer. 3. She is healthy, I think. 4. She is swallowing milk.

She is still using the newborn teat. But she sometimes fell asleep and when suddenly awakened by a mouthful of milk, she got choked and started coughing. This also happens with breastfeeding.

She has 5 feeds during the day, usually around 7:30, 10:30, 1:30, 4:30, 6:30. I always follow baby's cues rather than on a schedule.

For the first DF, she is awake most of the days, and she is difficult to settle. So I feed her. The second DF is now 3 hours after the 1st (used to be 2 hours apart), and I think she is usually hungry then because if I don't feed her before she wakes up, she would still wake up shortly after. By spacing out the feeds, she does again begin to take bottle in the past two night.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 14:47:39 pm »
Is it hot where you are? Maybe she is sweating more and therefore urinating less.

Maybe she was having a growth spurt and is back to normal now. 15 minutes is plenty of time to be taking a full feeding. Mine were all below 10 minutes by now.

If you are worried she is getting dehydrated then you should take her to see a doctor. Or if not, perhaps getting her weighed would help you see if she is getting enough.

Do you have an overactive letdown that she is struggling to cope with do you think?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 19:06:09 pm by *Ali* »

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 14:48:32 pm »

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 03:30:34 am »
Ali, thanks a lot.

It is not hot here, but sometimes she may feel a bit too warm since she is swaddled.

She takes the bottle again today when she is awake at 8:40. I am quite happy about it.

Regarding spending less time BF, I decide to go easy on this one. She has had very good weight gain in the first 6 weeks, jumping from 50% at birth to 90% now on the growth chart. I guess maybe she just decide to go a little slower. Or maybe I forced her to take more than she wanted, and she is protesting.  ::)