Author Topic: How long!  (Read 4775 times)

Offline Newmama6

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 10, 2016, 10:39:44 am »
So my dr said to wake babe up every 3 hrs to eat.
Baby is now 2 months old and just slept 6 hrs!! Wahoo for me but husband wasn't too happy about him sleeping so long, so he woke him up to eat.
So I guess what I'm asking is, do I still have to wake him to eat or let him wake on his own?

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 10:53:22 am »
Woohoo!!! That is awesome and I hope you took full advantage! DS only did maybe 4-5 hr stretches but I was a bit anxious and stayed awake anticipating DS to wake at any second. Haha.

I know parents who do it either way. Ime, as long as the Dr. confirms that the baby is growing and healthy, why wake a sleeping baby? And typically, I know you don't want to hear this, those long stretches end at the next developmental stage. If there are any concerns regarding weight gain, eating during the day, sleep apnea, etc... Discuss with the Dr.

And welcome to Bw! :)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: How long!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 11:08:18 am »
Firstly, is your baby healthy with no weight concerns?

If so, then I definitely wouldn't be waking a baby by 2mo, no! My paed said for the first 2 wks not to let them go longer than 4hrs at night but after that it's fine to be led by baby. They were all exclusively breastfed. A few babies (of very lucky mothers) are going 7-7 at night by now. Most of mine were doing 10pm to 5am at this stage although as ginger says it didn't last through growth spurts and such.

If there are circumstances that have led to your Dr advising that your baby needs to be woken to feed regularly, such as worries about baby's growth or your supply if you are breast feeding, then of course that is different and you should follow that advice or at least speak to the dr about it again.

You could also consider doing a dream feed where you lift baby in his sleep and feed him without waking. He should just latch on or suck the bottle instinctively. BW recommends doing this around 10-11pm before mum goes to bed so that hopefully you will benefit from the next long stretch of sleep.

Welcome to the boards  :)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011