Author Topic: 5 month old bedtime woes  (Read 790 times)

Offline katiebee18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 month old bedtime woes
« on: July 11, 2016, 03:33:16 am »
Bedtime has always been a struggle for my DS3. Lately I get him down at 9-9:15ish and he is up again usually 20m-1 hour later, sometimes multiple times until finally settling at 11 pm or midnight, and then sleeping for at least a 1-2 hour chunk (sometimes more).

Honestly we haven't settled into a good EASY, he is still in our room as we need to move DS1 and DS2 into a room together to free up room for DS3 (and I plan to do PU/PD, at least at night) and hopefully that will be happening next weekend but until then, maybe some tips to get me through the next week.

WU - typically 7:15-7:45 (but can be 6:45-8:15)
E
A
S 2-3 hours later (so 9:45-10:30ish)
E
A
S 2-3 hours later (so 1-1:45ish)
E
S 2-3 hours later (so 4-4:45ish)
E
A
S 2 hours later (so 6:45-7:30ish)
E
A
Bed - I usually start at 8:45/9 and tonight it took until after 10 until he settled to sleep for more than 10 minutes (and he still might get up soon!)

Our routine is often EAES and he nurses quite often still (2 - 3 hours)

For naps he may go in the bouncy seat or one of his brothers beds (sometimes car seat, stroller or carrier) and often I just lay him down with his paci and a blanket and tell him it's time to take a rest, he will then usually put himself to sleep without me having to go back in (sometimes I do go back in but it's usually just a quick time or 2) BUT bedtime is another story!

I usually hold him sitting up on our bed but lately he is so squirmy and it's like he doesn't want me to hold him but won't go to sleep on his own if I lay him on my bed or in his (pack n' play for the time being).

I know his naps are short, sometimes he may make it an hour but sometimes only 30 mins.

Nighttime he has been waking me 2-3 times (after being up until 11pm or midnight) to eat. I usually don't feed him to get him to sleep and try other things and only feed when I think he is actually up because he is hungry.

Any thoughts? I think bedtime is too late but not sure what to do. My older kids (2 and 4) are SO noisy so I worry about earlier bedtime and them waking him but do you think that is my main issue? He has never been in bed before 8:30 PM in his life!

Thanks Mommas.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 5 month old bedtime woes
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 11:50:30 am »
His day is just too long :)  I would make that 4th sleep bedtime which would give him a 12h day give or take, and would be perfect for a baby this age - most are just having 3 naps or 2 plus a catnap.  I think he's just too OT by that late bedtime to settle properly and you may find he is much easier to get down earlier on.  Don't expect it to be perfect immediately but if you stick with it you should see things improve.  Good luck!

Offline katiebee18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 23:52:20 pm »
That is what I expected.... my other 2 really only did 11 hours at night at the most but I will give 12 a go with him.

Last night was miserable, took forever to get him down. I think I went to bed just before midnight. He also didn't have more than a 5-10 minute nap until 1:15 this afternoon, this kid!

He last woke from his rest at 4:25 but DH took him to his brothers swim lessons (to give me a break) so he may get a short car nap but I will try earlier. He was up at 8:15 so I will try for 8:15 PM tonight and see what happens.

I don't know how others make this work on child #3, but I am feeling like we NEED him in bed earlier!

Offline katiebee18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 03:15:02 am »
Asleep at 7:45 PM, success!! BUT up so far at:

8:25 PM
8:45 PM
10:00 PM --- I asked DH to take a turn pretty sure that DS would not settle for him but I need a break so DH decided to take him for a drive

We will see what the rest of the night holds and what time DS gets up tomorrow...

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 10:44:45 am »
Good luck, it won't be perfect straight away as he's probably got rather a lot of accumulated OT to deal with.  But stick with it and hopefully you'll start to get some better nights x

Offline katiebee18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 01:46:45 am »
Thanks! He did get up 6 times but slept till 815 so over 12 hour night (not including some awake time during the 6 wake ups). 3 naps today and asleep at 815 so exactly 12 hour mark so we will see what tonight brings.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 06:44:08 am »
Hope its goes/is going ok x

Offline katiebee18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 14:20:09 pm »
Down for BT at 8:20 PM