Author Topic: 4 hour easy, with solids and breastfeeds  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Morgsyr

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 11, 2016, 09:30:40 am »
Hi everyone, I was hoping someone would give me some advice about what the 4 hour easy with solid food and breastfeeds should look like.
My son is 6 months old (born at 36weeks weighing 4lb 6oz). He is a hungry baby and currently weighs about 15lbs. I have recently started introducing solids and he currently has breakfast and lunch. I breastfeed when he wakes up from naps and then after food and his schedule is below:-
6am lies in cot gurgling
7am I get up breastfeed him
7.30/8.00 fruit purée
9.15 nap
10.30/11.00 breastfeed
11.45 veg purée
12.45/13.00 nap
14.00 breastfeed
17.00 breastfeed
18.30 breastfeed and story
18.45 bed
10.30 dream feed
2.30 am breastfeed
5.00am breastfeed
Should I be introducing water as a drink with his meals?
Am I doing this right?
Any advice about why he is waking so often in the night would also be really helpful.

Many Thanks

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: 4 hour easy, with solids and breastfeeds
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 12:14:27 pm »
Sorry your post was missed! Yes the general rule is to BF first and do solids about and hour later or so.  You can introduce water in a sippy cup just watch the intake as you don't want it to interfere with BF.  Does he take a good feed at the DF? Have you ever tried to resettle the 2:30am waking without a feed?

We don't do a DF but what I've had to do is not offer a bottle after 3pm to preserve the BT bottle, but that said my DD is formula fed and can probably go longer than an BF baby and my DD is a bit older.  We do:

7am - bottle
8am - solids

11:30 - bottle
12:30 - solids

2:30/3pm - bottle
5pm - solids (dinner with us together)

6:45pm - bottle

Offline Morgsyr

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 13:21:42 pm »
Hi Lindsay,
Thank you for your reply. Since my first email I have started following the 4 hour EASY.
So now the day looks more like this:-
7am breastfeed
7.45 solids
9.00am nap
11.00 breastfeed
12.00 solids
13.00 nap
15.00 breastfeed
18.30 breastfeed
18.45 bed
10.30 dream feed
2.30/3.00 breastfeed if he wakes
6am he wakes up but I leave him in cot and sometimes he will fall back asleep until the alarm goes off at 7am.
I have started giving him a sippy cut with water at food times.
If he wakes before 2.30 I'm trying to get my husband to settle him down, so hopefully this will phase out this feed eventually!
He does take a good feed at df as he has both boobs. I shall continue with the above routine and see what happens unless you have any other suggestions for me to try.
The other thing I was going to ask for advice on is that I am due to go back to work in Nov and so from Sept my baby is due to start having taster sessions in nursery and then start properly 2 days a week from Oct. I need to drop the 11am and 3pm feeds but can continue with the rest. Please can you suggest how I do this?
Thank you

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 23:34:16 pm »
I'm going to move this topic over to the BF page so that you can get eyes on it there and I will let the BF mods know.  I never actually BF either of my LOs (but not from lack of trying LOL!) so I'm afraid I'm not much help on that front.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 19:27:23 pm »
Sorry, for the delay.

Does your LO currently take a bottle of EBM or FF at all? Are you hoping to pump and feed expressed milk or offer formula in place of the BFS you will miss whilst at work?

TBH a DF and 1 NF is typical for this age so he probably just needs it.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011