Author Topic: 17.5 mo Night Sleep head scratcher  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Laura_kap

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 12, 2016, 00:41:48 am »
Hello Mummies and Daddies...

my #2 is a spirited angel type...and has recently come into some pretty fierce night wakings the last week or so...the schedule usually looks like this:

Wake 6:30 - plays in Crib until 7 when big bro gets up

Nap around 12-1:30 ( she is usually exhausted from her poor nights, but I try to keep her up until at least 11:30...but sometimes I'll let her have a power 15 min snooze in around 9:30 if she's really bagged) She falls asleep easily but I need to wake her

Bed - 5-6 hours from the time she wakes from nap...so 1:30 = 7:30 bedtime

Eating has been hit and miss...she is not eating alot for breakfast...ok lunch and supper usually...milk only in sippy cup during the days...and then she's killing me at night, because she's only drinking a few ounces of her night bottle.....THEN the fireworks start around 9:30...she goes from quiet to SCREAMING like someone is trying to tear off a limb....pu/pd isn't working....sometimes walking around the room holding her isn't working...she is calling out for Milk around 10ish....sometimes I can give her a little water and she'll finally settle, sometimes only milk will do...basically the scream-works are happening from 9:30-11:30 but not the same pattern each night....

SO....She just finished cutting her back 4 molars...the only teeth she has left to cut are the eye teeth...so I'm not sure if this is eye teeth pain (no bumps showing yet)

also

We just got back from a week at the cottage...but she slept in her regular travel crib (that she's been sleeping in almost 1x per week since birth)

also

Is 18 months a growth spurt time? maybe that's why she's waking looking for milk?
I was thinking about cutting out the night bottle seeing as she's only taking a few ounces anyways....and hoping that I can get more food calories into her during the day???

I've had no experience with either of my 2 kids with night or crib terrors....so I have no idea if this might be related to that?

there are overlapping things happening here, that's what throwing me off I think..I'd really appreciate a few eyes and thoughts on this one, as I'm trying not to horribly accidental parent her...but some nights I end up giving her a few ounces of milk and hold her until she's mostly or all the way asleep...I'm trying to hold a line...but the screaming is out of character for her...and when I pick her up from her crib she just nuzzles into a big hug and keeps crying....when I give her advil or motrin (like I usually do only at night on teething days) it seems to help her get to sleep within about half an hour of giving her the meds....so that's why I sort of ruled out nightmares/terrors....the best guess I have is eye teeth mixed with a growth spurt? and if that's the case...how to I walk that line of comforting her and not throwing out all her sleep training!?  I don't want to give her advil every night for a month waiting for these eye teeth....can they take that long?

help is appreciated, sorry for the rant! 

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 02:11:53 am »
Hi Laura! many hugs!

A lot of what you describe sounds like the development around 18mos. The hit or miss eating, sudden Nwing, clinginess, asking for things in the night, etc... I highly recommend joining the group:
18 month sleep regression support thread-part 3
You will get lots of btdt and hand holding for this phase.

Once any medical issues are ruled out (see Katet's comment on checking ears) you can consider how to support independent sleep again.

It sounds like she has some discomfort, too. I used to gauge the day and DS's behavior and how much he gnawed on his hand, how cheeks were, the drooling, etc... to see if he needed some medicine. I also consulted the doctor that said that if giving motrin/ibuprofen only at night, it can be given longer than a week. But please consult your doctor on this. I would usually go a week, then off a few days, and back on if needed.

Hang in there!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 02:40:11 am by ginger413 »

Offline ginger428

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 02:19:30 am »
Also, we'll move this thread to Toddler Sleep
as your LO is over 12 mo.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 17.5 mo Night Sleep head scratcher
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 02:24:54 am »
Have you had her ears checked out? with teeth coming through it can impact the ears & when lying down fluid can gather in the ears & cause lots of pain, so that could be why there is the screaming & sucking on the bottle helps settle the ears.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline ginger428

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 02:34:21 am »
Yes! that's a big one to rule out.

Offline Laura_kap

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 02:05:41 am »
thanks for the idea...I didn't even think about checking ears....tonight she woke screaming at 8:45pm....about an hour and 15 after going down.....but she was gagging, which I never noticed before...maybe reflux? or extra saliva from teething?

I'll get the ears checked out for sure, thanks for the speedy replies! :) Very helpful, much appreciated.

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 07:04:32 am »
Just a thought but I'd put some money on OT with that routine.  Why are you waking her from her nap?  For such a young LO it doesn't sound much to me, followed by a pretty long A time to bed which I think my DS at over 2 would still struggle with.  If she is so tired that she is falling asleep in the morning, then having her nap cut short, then staying awake a long time before bed and having frequent night wakings (that 9-11pm time is classic for OT) I don't see how she can't be OT really  :-\  My suggestions would be either to give her an uncapped nap for a while, or bring her bedtime earlier and give her a chance to catch up on some sleep.  May just help :)

Offline Laura_kap

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 21:44:58 pm »
I hope that is the case! I've been dying having to cap her nap....but history for her has been that she is 6hrs to the minute from nap wake to bed time....and if I try to put her to bed earlier, she usually plays with my face and babbles until she is at that 6 hour A time mark, I know it sounds weird, I was shocked, but every night that I tried to put her down at 6:30-7:30....she just played (or screamed if I neared her crib or god forbid put her into it!) and then like a light going off at that 6 hour A time mark, she will just lay down, stick her thumb in her mouth and go to bed with no issue....its the oddest thing and she's been doing it since 2-1 transition about a month and a half ago( 16 months)  I'll try putting her to bed earlier tonight and see how it goes...usually when she has too much day sleep, she wakes up to party at night 12-2am-ish.....but maybe her needs are changing as she is so much more active?

she had a horrible nap today, fell asleep in the car after dropping off big brother, and then wouldn't go down anymore this afternoon...so she only slept for 30 mins or so....I took her to the doctors today as her cheeks have gotten more red and her nose has started to run....Doctor said either teething or slapped cheek virus....but not much I can do for either but nighttime advil and some TLC....

hopefully the earlier bedtime, and I'll try a 12-2 nap.....will help

usually for her night sleep = 7:30-6:30 (11hrs)
and day sleep 12-1:30 capped = 1.5 hours
Totalling 12.5 hours....if I let her sleep 12-2, will 13-13.5 hours be too much to keep her asleep at night?

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 22:29:55 pm »
Not necessarily - if she's chronically OT then more sleep may mean more sleep overall :). She's getting 12.5 currently but doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't need more.  If she does need that long A before bed there's no issue with doing an earlier nap so she can still be uncapped but keep the long afternoon x

Offline Laura_kap

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 19:27:03 pm »
ok so last night I put her down around 6:40...she tossed until almost 8, then appeared to settle, but up again around 8:30 gagging on congestion....her fever this morning has been around 39 degrees, even with ibuprophen.  so I think I've got a cold with teething and 18 month growth issues mixed together? Its one heck of a cocktail! Poor baby is so tired....she woke this morning at 6:15, played in bed until 7...and then fell asleep in the car from 8:30-9:15 am....then napped from 11-12:20....then fell asleep in the car again in the afternoon from 2-2:45....she has a dripping nose, drooling like crazy and that lack-of nose breathing is really keeping herawake and causes her to gag on it and throw up periodically.

I might take to to the doctors again tomorrow if the fever doesn't break by the morning.

thoughts?

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 20:22:21 pm »
(((Hugs))), just have to ride out the silly sleep until she is better unfortunately :(  Hope she's on the mend soon x