Author Topic: Day 3 of Paci removal Help!  (Read 703 times)

Offline Leewh

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 15, 2016, 13:12:50 pm »
My son is 15 wo today. We cold-turkey quit his Paci use 2 days ago because he had started to wake every 1-2 hours to be replugged from 1-6am daily.  After almost 2 weeks of this we felt like the Paci had to go!

I'm starting the 3rd day of no paci and I'm beginning to wonder if this is the right thing to do.  He has no way to soothe himself now and I feel so bad for him.  I introduced a lovey and he's minimally interested in it.  His sleep is still awful but now he's extremely difficult to soothe.  Shh/pat makes him scream louder. I feel like the only to calm him now is to rock him which is just giving him a more exhausting sleep prop.  What do I do?

Offline Leewh

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 13:26:32 pm »
Also here was yesterday's EASY:

Day 2 Paci removal
6:30 E: wake up, nursed
  - 7:55 winddown
  - 8:05 shh/pat, PUPD
8:15 S: asleep R side
  - 8:45 - 8:55 woke, shh/pat, PUPD - lovey
  - 9:05 - 9:20 shh/pat, sucked lovey ear
10:05 E:  woke, nursed
  - 11:25 winddown
11:45 S: shh/pat w lovey. Asleep R side in crib
  - 12:20 - 12:40 stirred, settled shh/pat, PUPD
  - 1:20 - 1:35 crying. Settled in arms
  - 1:50 put down on back
2:25 E: woke, nursed
  - 3:55 winddown
4:15 S: shh/pat w lovey. Asleep L side in crib
  - 5:00 - 5:10 woke, resettled in arms. Crib.
5:45 E: woke, nurse
  - 6:45 bath
7:10 E: nurse
  - 7:20 winddown, screaming, shh/pat in arms
8:00 S: asleep
  - 8:35 - 8:45 woke, nursed/held to sleep
12:45am NW: woke, nursed
3:15 NW: woke, rocked
4:46 NW: woke, gassy. Nursed
6:15am wake up for day, nurse

He does have reflux controlled by medicine so he hasn't seemed uncomfortable from that in a while.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!  Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 13:29:34 pm by Leewh »

Offline FPT23

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
Re: Day 3 of Paci removal Help!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 03:21:34 am »
Hi! I would love to share my experience as we sound pretty similar when I removed my LOs paci at exactly this age for the same reason. He hit the 4 mth regression and became more dependent on the paci. It took me two weeks!! BUT, thanks to wonderful advice on here (I should've asked sooner haha) it was also more of a routine issue! Hang in there! I felt bad too but they figure it out! Lots of patience, and understanding as they find a new method to help them. I always stayed with him or if it became too hard i did nurse to sleep or just step out and try a bit later. Xo

First thing I notice is that first morning nap- seems short even though you are able to extend it. He might be ready for a little push on his A time. As he reaches 4 mths he should be at 1.45/2hr A. It will help that nap extend hopefully. Not sure of his wind down but the shorter the better. I went in 5 mins before, say 2hr A time and he went out like a dream. Every baby is different but just from my experience! My LO is now 21 weeks! I would try a shorter wind down, and stretch out his A times a few days at a time by 10/15 increments
I would think also all those NWs are due to maybe under tiredness. Could also be the reflux as well..however.
Being that he is reflux, do you know if he's getting enough calories in his day? Are you also nursing to sleep every time he wakes?

Remember, a lot of changes occur during this time. Hang in there!

I did see you mentioned he has controlled reflux, and sometimes a paci helps them a lot with that. Something to consider in case you end up holding onto the paci. Mine did not struggle w reflux.

It's a rough time! Don't get discouraged. Once we got the paci out of the way, his sleep improved so much.

Fabi