Author Topic: 8-month separation anxiety affecting naps!  (Read 1442 times)

Offline KatherineSmithOK

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
8-month separation anxiety affecting naps!
« on: July 15, 2016, 21:53:11 pm »
My 8.5 month old has always been a great napper and a great sleeper at night. I'm a stay at home mom and really try to keep his routine consistent whenever possible. The last 2 weeks or so, he has been showing signs of separation anxiety (cries when I put him down and walk out of the room, can't entertain himself for very long periods without me sitting by him), and I'm doing what the book suggests to make sure the phase runs its course and doesn't become prolonged (talking to him as I walk out of the room, consoling him without picking him up until he is happily distracted, etc). His naps have gotten worse and worse and I think it's because he knows I'm the one he gets to see when he doesn't sleep. When I had a sitter put him down for his morning nap, he slept 2 hrs. When I put him down this afternoon, he slept for 30 minutes. The shush-pat doesn't do any good. He only stops crying when I pick him up which leads to him falling asleep in my arms as I rock him because he is obviously so tired! I definitely don't want to make a habit of that! Here is our typical day (prior to the last couple weeks)
6:30-7 nurse
8 solids
9-10:30 nap
11 nurse
1 solids
2-3:30 nap
4 nurse
6 solids
7:30 nurse and bedtime around 8

Any guidance would be appreciated! I love that he loves me so much, but I can't help but feel frustrated since he naps for others and not me (since 99% of his naps happen with me at home!)

Offline olliepop

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 8-month separation anxiety affecting naps!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 02:31:10 am »
I'm having some similar problems too, I wish I could give you advice, but it would be nice to see what other people who have gone through this might have to say.

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 07:54:45 am »
I sympathise with the SA, my 9.5 mo is also going through this- following me around everywhere, crying when it's not me with her.  There's a good link in FAQ: Separation Anxiety but might be same as the info in the books? (It's a while since I read them)

I find SA often goes in bursts- a few days of v clingy behaviour then eases off again. How long has your LO's SA signs been happening at nap times? If more than a week, it might be something else and maybe time for a routine change? That first A time looks a little short for his age. Have you tried pushing the first nap later to see if he's more ready for it & therefore settles more easily?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 07:44:52 am »
Just to add - DD had NWs with SA last night.
What worked for her was more of a gradual withdrawal approach rather than WI/WO, which upset her more. I calmed her with sh-pat in the cot then sat next to the cot and then gradually shuffled my way further and further back until I was out the room (trying to stay low as standing upset her)

HTH
Xxx
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline KatherineSmithOK

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 16:01:55 pm »
Thank you so much for your prompt response. I apologize for my delay in responding as things improved for us after a day or two. The link about separation anxiety and wi/wo was helpful because it described my little guy perfectly, and I had never heard of the wi/wo technique. The suggestions in the book and the link must have worked because he is playing independently and napping much better already. I will continue to follow the recommendations you gave! Thanks again!!

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 09:11:24 am »
Glad things worked out for you both  :)
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD