Author Topic: 1 year old - Early morning wake ups zzzzzzzz  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Jojo290615

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
1 year old - Early morning wake ups zzzzzzzz
« on: July 17, 2016, 04:23:19 am »
Hi !

Just wanted to update you and also see if there could be some tweaking done to lo routine.

So back from holiday lo got back to his routine quite well.

He is still on one nap a day and sleeps in general for 2 hours.

His Easy is the following about 50% of the time

WU:5:30
S:11:30-13:30
BT: 6:30 -45

However about 50% he will wake crying from his nap after 1h30 but is quite easy to resettle again .. He will then go back to complete the 2 hour nap, sometimes he will sleep a bit more than the 2 hours.
 He also wakes up still really early, this morning at 4:30!!! Some mornings 5:00..

When he wakes up so early I resettle him even  if it takes me 45 minutes to do so . He will sleep an extra hour.
Didn't work this morning though !!

Here was yesterday's EaSy:

WU 5:20
S:11:20-13:45 (woke up after 1:30.. Resettled quite easy )
S:6:45

I have tried putting him to bed later, with a catnap , but he is really difficult to put down at bedtime and most of the times he will still wake up early.

I don't think he is teething, and has just gone through his leap , so not sure why he wakes up so early .
I can see there is a lot going on for him right now, trying to stand alone , walk and communicate by pointing at EVERYTHING 😀😀 not so cute at 4:30 in the morning 😀
Could 2 hours nap be too long for him, or going over the two hours make him wake up early.

Is there something that needs tweaking ?

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 06:24:06 am by Jojo290615 »

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Re: 1 year old - Early morning wake ups zzzzzzzz
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 09:28:28 am »
In terms of a 1 nap routine I think that looks good. If I didn't look at the times I'd say 6A then 2 hour nap then 5 A then 11 hour night is fine. With a start to the day of 5.30 any earlier waking is going to be horrendous whereas if the day started at 7.30, 7 wouldn't seem so bad YK? 

Is there a practical reason like working that has you on a 5.30-6.30 routine?  If not I would work on getting the day shifting forward.

How is your LO with independent sleep?  Can you put him down fully awake for naps and bedtime and walk out and he'll put himself to sleep?

Offline Jojo290615

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 10:24:37 am »
Hi thanks for your reply.

Lo has always been on an early bedtime - wake up routine . It's not something that I mind , if he wakes up any time before 5:30 then yes it's horrible ! 5:30-6:00 is fine. We also enjoy having our free time in the evenings :)

i just don't understand why sometimes he will sleep the full 11 hours .. And sometimes less.

We gave tried later bedtimes before we did the 1 nap transition but it never really worked. Sometimes the earlier lo goes to bed the longer he will sleep. But then sometimes not.

If he has a cat nap around 16:00 to reset wake up and push bedtime back a bit .. He wakes up the same time and is very difficult to put to bed.

Lo is quite independent on sleeping .
Nap time , he sleeps in his pram , either outside or inside. (But the pram isn't moving) I live in Sweden and this is normal :) especially at day care.
I put him down awake and he falls asleep by himself .

Bedtime, he used to be really good at going to sleep alone. I would put him down and he would fall asleep by himself. Thus was up until he could stand and throw his blanket out his crib then cry for it.
So now either i or my OH settle him while he is laying in his crib. By ssh pat.

I tried the walk in walk out method, it didn't work, or maybe I didn't stick to it long enough.. I wanted to make sure that lo didn't get OT during his 2-1 nap transition.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 17:50:35 pm by Jojo290615 »

Offline Jojo290615

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 04:14:45 am »
Hi
Just wanted to update you.

I pushed lo bedtime back by an hour, by giving him a 15 mins cat nap.
So he fell asleep at 7:45pm but still woke up at 5:30 am this morning and impossible to get back to sleep again. Even by cuddling.
He also woke up crying at 1:30 in his sleep which he hadn't done in a while .

So I'm at s total loss :(

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 05:51:29 am »
following as in similar situation, even the short cry during the nap at 1.5hrs. I would like to shift our early wake up but it seems impossible...
Franziska

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 07:51:39 am »
I'd a quick read through your other thread. How long has it been since you upped the A times? Is he coping ok with the 6 hours before nap?

TBH i don't think a one off CN and Late bedtime will affect wake up.

When we jumped to one nap it took about three weeks for things to settle.  At that point we were getting 1.5 naps and at that point it got longer and was 2.5 which was lovely.

How does he seem if he wakes early? Is he grizzly and clearly still tired or happy and ready to go?

Offline Jojo290615

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 09:12:54 am »
It's been a good 4 weeks now .. And he is doing really well with his napping, even if he does wAke up sometimes after 1,5 hours , he either resettles himself or I just need to jiggle the pram a little.

Up until last week he was sleeping 11 hours at night, and he always sleeps through. ( most of the time :))
I wonder if it's developmental ..

What would you recommend for pushing bedtime back a bit ?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 09:31:21 am »
People have success moving bedtime forward by 15 mins every few days and then wake hopefully moves with it.

If it's only been a week I'd be tempted to just keep resettling for another few days and see does it settle.

Any teeth coming? Our sleep went haywire when mine learned to pull to stand!

Offline Jojo290615

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 06:40:06 am »
I dont think he has any teeth coming yet, hard to see at the back but he isn't showing any teething signs.

Monday lo had an early bedtime at 6:00, went down very easy. He had also had his jabs that day so was tired. Also missed out on some sleep from the night before. And he woke up at 5:40 which was great. We were able to start the day at a reasonable day:)
He had his nap at 12:00 for 2 hours. And was sleeping by 7:00 and this morning he woke up at 5:15 arrrrrrggg ! And wouldn't resettle ! But I kept things low key until 6:00 and didn't give him his milk until 6:00.
I'll just carry on like this hoping he wil get the message soon :)
There is just such a differnce in his mood when he has the full 11 hours at night.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 09:21:21 am »
I know even another 45 mins would have made such a difference. Fingers crossed he gets the message soon!!!!