Author Topic: Please help!  (Read 1162 times)

Offline sho55

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 18, 2016, 15:05:09 pm »
So we started the easy routine when LO was around 4.5 months and also pick up/put down and things improved within days.  I was thrilled!  Fast forward to now and I just don't know how to restart...things have progressively got worse over the last few weeks.

Basically the first problem was that she would start crying more for me...it was taking me half hour plus to put her down.  DH would try and often get her sleep in 10mins with little to no fussing.  This is for naps and bedtime, I'm lucky in that he can work from home sometimes but this just rendered me useless.  I started slowly doing more naps and bedtime and she seemed a little better, harder work in the afternoon but I thought we were improving.  Anyway, Friday night DH went out and I tried for nearly 2 hours, I'll admit I did stray from pick up/put down in the end and just fed her to sleep.  We were both physically and emotionally drained.  She would often cry just as much when I held her as when lying down and I'm talking screaming her head off. Over the weekend it's been very hit and miss but both nights have been difficult - sat just took a while (for DH) and yest she fell asleep ok but woke an hour later and wouldn't go back down.  Ended up bringing her downstairs for a little to calm down and then DH put her down she fell right to sleep...poor thing was exhausted.

This morning has been awful already - over an hour spent doing pick up/put down, then I tried giving her a break and returning...she was crying before we even got to her room.  I feel like she now hates her crib as well as me : /

Sorry this is so long but I guess I'm just looking for some guidance?  I was just reading the 6-8 month technique, it's very different but maybe she needs that now even tho she isn't 6 months until Aug 5th?  She can already sit up on her own and loves to stand while holding my hands so maybe she's ready for it?  I'm just scared to try in case I make things worse (I type this while holding my sleeping baby after feeding her and not acutely sure how much worse it can get).  She's a happy baby when she's had enough sleep and I don't think it's teething as they look the same. I'm feeling very low about myself right now and not trusting my mom instincts at all so would really appreciate any help.  Thank you in advance

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Please help!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 16:07:00 pm »
Hugs hun, can you post your EAS it gives everyone an idea of your day!
Zoe

Offline sho55

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 16:24:29 pm »
EAS was:

7am wake up

9am 1st nap, usually 1hr 15 to 1hr 30

1pm 2nd nap, usually 45 mins

Between 4pm and 5pm 3rd nap, usually 45 mins

Bedtime - 7-7.30pm

This wasn't quite perfect as had only been doing it a few weeks before these problems started, I try my best to keep close to this but often doesn't happen

Offline sho55

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 16:48:27 pm »
To add to the EAS:

11pm - dream feed (sometimes wake before but would go back down).

Usually one night wake up since starting the routine, I do feed as it's been different times each night

Offline tathi-b

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 18:04:06 pm »
Hugs!

Could it be the dreaded sleep regression when everything seems to go out the window?  Her EAS looks amazing to me. :)

Also, my baby went through a stage where she would only be put to bed by me and no one else.  It passed a little after she was 5 months.

xx

Offline sho55

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 18:35:39 pm »
We hit the 4 month sleep regression early...is there another one?  Or can they just appear randomly?

Yes the first week or so on this routine went so well and I was thrilled but just as we got used to it, the problems above started so it's no where near that good now...and if it is, it's cause DH put her down.  He goes away next week and I'm really worried as I can't cope listening to her scream up to an hour when I try to get her to sleep.

Thanks for your response!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 18:54:45 pm »
So is she 5.5 months? If so I think your first A times is little on the low side but then you have quite a long A until next nap which is then a short nap. She could be a bit UT so resisting put down, other thing could be a wonder week?

My DS2 is 6 months next week and we are doing 2.5 hour A then 2.45 if first nap was good then either EBT if it's too late for CN or 20 min CN at 4.30.
Zoe

Offline sho55

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 19:31:06 pm »
Thanks for the reply, yes she is 5.5 and apparently going through a wonder week.  She's often rubbing her eyes by 9am - should I still try and push it?  Also, if you need to utilise pick up/put down, do you use the 6-8month method as it's different to the 4-6?  Thanks!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 20:29:20 pm »
Wonder weeks can mess sleep big time. I had to push it a bit, maybe try adding 10 mins on hold for 3 days see what happens and then push again maybe try and get to 2.5 hours. I push it by having extra cuddle of we get a story book out.

I'd prob stick with 4-6 months method.
Zoe

Offline sho55

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 20:29:07 pm »
So a day after posting this things have been much better!  I think the leap was to blame and hoping were past the worst of it.  Thanks to those that offered advice

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 21:08:40 pm »
Great update  :)
Zoe