Author Topic: Gradual withdrawal method?  (Read 1101 times)

Offline ChristineVanLeeuwen

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 19, 2016, 11:00:22 am »
I have always stayed in the room while my baby fell asleep. Now he is 10 months old and I need to break this habit. He sleeps through the night mostly, but my daycare provider suggested weaning him off of this for naptimes. Does anyone have any tips for this?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Gradual withdrawal method?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 12:51:35 pm »
Hello and welcome to BW forums :)

There's some info here on gradual withdrawal which you might find is enough to get yourself started on it.
Toddlers: Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)
The main thing really is to write yourself a plan starting with how things are right now for you and your baby and then on each line of your plan jot down small steps to get to where you want to be.  Then by each step write a date so the steps are a couple of days apart.  At each stage you can still go back a step or even three or four to resettle LO if he becomes distressed but after calming you go directly to where you 'should' be in your plan.  for instance if you get to the point of sitting outside the room and he cries you can go all the way back in, pat him, calm him, say your key phrase, then you return to the outside of the room. This way you don't get stuck at a previous step but you also fully support your child through the change of routine.
Toddlers: Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)

See if you can put a plan together, we can help if needed :)

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 14:41:52 pm »
I did see that post, thank you. I'm concerned because he stands up in the crib so I feel like it will take him forever to go down for naps.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Gradual withdrawal method?
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 18:10:10 pm »
Whatever it is you do now to get him to lay down is what you do for the first step of the gradual withdrawal.  I assume at some point he lays down and calms and then goes to sleep (he is not sleeping propped standing up is he?). That is when you take your first step.  The first step might be to say a key phrase "Have a nice sleep, call if you need me" and sit half a meter away from the cot - you then stay there until he is asleep.  The next step on your plan takes place a couple of days later and might be to sit a full meter away from the cot so you would do whatever you usually do to get him to lay down, and calm, say your key phrase and move to the chair a meter away and sit there until he is asleep.  If during this sitting he stands again or cries because you are not right next to him then you go to him calm him, get him to lay down in your usual way, say your phrase and return to the chair.  A couple of days later you move the chair another half meter away and repeat the process, fully calm and laying down, key phrase, go to the chair, return if needed.

Yes it may take longer to get him to go to sleep for naps but that's sleep training. Ultimately he will sleep better because he will have the confidence to self settle rather than relying on you to be there.  Plus once he is self settling my bet is he has a more relaxed Mummy, which is always a great thing for LO.

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 18:58:53 pm »
Thank you!