Author Topic: 5.5 month old multiple sleep issues. Going slowly insane.  (Read 1034 times)

Offline meanmckean

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5.5 month old multiple sleep issues. Going slowly insane.
« on: July 20, 2016, 20:07:44 pm »
Hi all I need the benefit of the hive mind.
My second child is 5.5 months old. Not sure where to start so will start at the beginning. She had an exaggerated startle reflex as well as digestive issues. Letting her sleep on her front and switching to Nanny Care helped with both those problems but she has never moved on from waking regularly from 2.30am. To get back off Ihave to pat her bottom. She will nod off for a sleep cycle or two but then is awake again and getting more agitated until in the end I have to pat her bottom continuously to help her stay asleep. Have tried leaving her to get back off on her own but she can't as she rubs or claws at her face, waves her arms around and now she can roll, rolls on to her back where she startles, rubs her face and is generally awake and kicking about until she gets upset. She can't self soothe at all. White noise and a dummy help, but she pulls the dummy out even tho she wants it.
The positives are that she naps and sleeps in her cot and I don't need to cuddle, rock or feed her. On the subject of naps she can only do 45mins, occasionally doing 1.5hrs. In the carrier can do longer but that's exhausting and kills my back.

Offline katiebee18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 5.5 month old multiple sleep issues. Going slowly insane.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 20:27:29 pm »
If she rubbed her face with a blanket do you think that would help? My DS2 wore one of those zipadee sleep sacks and kind of rubbed them on his face (and did not rub out his pacifier). He had the hardest time with transitioning from the swaddle of all of my kids and I think had the strongest startle reflex.

I am also struggling with DS3 who is your LOs age so am no real help, but just thought I would put that out there in case it might help!

Katie

Offline meanmckean

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 22:34:38 pm »
Hi, yes I put her blanky thing in the way but it can't stay in the perfect spot all night and is no help once she's on her back. To get her off to sleep I have to warm her left hand up and apply light pressure for her to relax. I swear she would benefit from a weighted blanket but imagine that is for older kids only.

Offline meanmckean

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 22:35:32 pm »
*wrap* not warm!

Offline katiebee18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 00:04:39 am »
Baby Merlin Sleep suit? I know they are better for winter since they are pretty warm, but maybe look into one of those? She may be getting old enough though that she could move well in it, but worth a look!

Offline meanmckean

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 06:39:16 am »
She is a big, strong girl and she sleeps on her front so swaddling is not an option.
This morning I'm feeling a bit more at peace with the situation and accept that she just has to grow out of the thrashing about phase. If anyone has any advice tho I'd love to hear it.

Offline katiebee18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 20:00:03 pm »
Baby Merlin's are actually not swaddle suits, but like a full body suit with openings for hands and feet. It just kind of weighs down a little and makes it harder for little jolts to wake them, but again she still might be too big and strong for it. I know they make them in 6 month sizes and beyond. Check out Amazon if you think it may help!