Author Topic: Nearly 10 months nap woes  (Read 3073 times)

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Nearly 10 months nap woes
« on: July 23, 2016, 15:37:55 pm »
So DS2 is 9 months 3 weeks and I have a 4 year old who's at pre-school 3 days so short then long nap suits us best as DS1 has to get out of the house in the morning. So I've been doing for the last week 3.5/3.45 A then first nap for 40 minutes he's easy to wake and fine after pretty much only have to open his door and he's up. I've been doing the same time for 2nd nap as I've tried 2.5hr -3.5hr still gives me a 1hr10 nap then bedtime is 6:45/7 So my thinking is he's self regulating his nap and maybe only needs 2hrs?? WDYT

Where do I go from here? He's waking 5:45/6 but is unsettled from 4:30/5 whinging for abit then going back off.

He's spirited for sure as was my first and still is!! TIA X

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: Nearly 10 months nap woes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 13:06:15 pm »
Hmmm, my DD is the same age and 1hr10-15 nap usually means UT for us.  She also needs around 2hrs day sleep but I wonder if you're getting a bit of an UT/OT thing going on where the 1hr10 isn't quite long enough to get yo BT.

Could you try capping the first nap at 30 mins, keeping 2nd nap around same start time and see if you get 1.5hrs or so...so the same total day sleep but a slightly different spread across the day to give him a longer sleep to get through to BT?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 20:38:09 pm »
I'll give it a whirl and see how he goes, he copes really well with OTness when he's awake but gives me a short nap which I cans mostly re settle easier than an UT one anyway.
So with the nap trim do I stick with the same nap time which is 9:30/9:45 and cap it or push it out by 10 mins and have it end at 10/10:15?

Looking at my sleep log for the last week or so he definitely only does 11hrs ONS and sometimes that's unsettled. Even swimming doesn't tire him out, he's had waterbabies 2 days on the run and still 1hr10 naps in the pm!! Hes happy enough just wanting to get moving badly!!

Thanks for the sounding board

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 21:02:04 pm »
If you've got a wake up time you're happy with, I'd stick to same start time for the first nap.
My DD is the same age and I had to push first nap later..but she was waking before 6 every morning

Sounds like he's a busy boy!

Good luck xxx
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 06:54:35 am »
Looks like we need a push too then WU is 5:45/5:55 then nap is 9:30/9:45. I'll push to 10 and cap at 30 mins if he doesn't wake himself and then play 2nd nap by him I guess. Thanks
For your help and luck l, see how we go!

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 11:52:15 am »
Sounds like a plan, good luck
Xxx
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 09:31:38 am »
Best laid plans!! So I pushed nap out and trimmed. 10-10:30, then 1:30/2 nap dependent on his mood still only 1hr15!! Which I think is 2 sleep cycles for him he's a 38minute guy - sad that I know this!! Made no difference to WU really and then yesterday all went wrong, he's standing up protesting about going to sleep, yet has always been an independent sleeper. I'm guessing it's developmental, he's crawled properly, is saying mama (now following me saying it of course) and is cutting his whopping front teeth. This is the last 24 hrs

WU 6:10
S 9:55 - 10:20 he woke himself
S 1:55 -2:25 i resettled him until 3
BT/S 7

Today
WU 5:30
S 9:55

He's asleep now and I really don't know whether to wake him, part of me thinks maybe he's OT but then I worried about it backfiring on me this afternoon!!

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 12:32:23 pm »
10mo fun...I sympathise!

What did you do for his nap this morning?

We started getting 5.30 wakings a month or so ago..in the end I had to push first nap later (at first just 4hr15 A time made the difference, then she needed 4hr30 about a week later). As nap was then starting mid morning I let her sleep as long as she wanted then did a short CN late afternoon (I usually had to AP this in car, buggy or sling). I found she would sleep around 3hrs after she woke from the long nap, if I AP-ed it.

I know you have a toddler too & I have to say It's a pain on the days with DS but we try to get out the house earlier e.g. 9 so we can be back for DD's nap then we get out again in the early afternoon so we can AP the CN nap on the way home!

Does that help?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 14:46:31 pm »
I ended up leaving him as I was enjoying the break DS1 who is 4 is still at pre school for a few days a week, he woke himself at 11:10, then I have him his PM milk and he was a sleep for 3, woke himself just now at 3:30 with no chance of going back off which he normally does when he's OT. Wow those were big jumps,  So perhaps I do need to be pushing his A times, he did 4hr25 this morning and has been fine today, I guess we'll see how tonight goes. How long do you do after the PM CN? I'm thinking 6:45 BT/asleep as he doesn't tack!!

He does seem like he's come on in the last week, so I guess at the same time maybe he's had a leap in stamina and his A times.

Looks like we're gonna be up and out early too then on the days R is home which will suit him he's bouncing off the walls by 10am!!

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 12:13:17 pm »
So yesterday ended up

WU 5:30
S 9:55-11:10
S 3-3:30
BT: 6:45

He woke at 4:50, so 10 hrs which i'm guessing was OT. He was making a lot of noise and so I fed him and put him down,  he slept until 6:10 not a habit I want to start as we'd weaned night feeds but I didn't want him waking R. He seems so angry and cross when he wakes which I guess means he's still tired, but can't seem to go back off.

Today things have gone really pear shaped...

WU 6:10
tried for nap at 10 screamed the place down, got him up tried again 15 minutes later the same. By 10:45 I gave up and brought him down, he played fine a little whiney so I gave lunch at 11:30 and he started getting droopy eyed in his chair so I took him up, and he started protesting again. Cuddled him till he was calm and pd
S 12:05 - 12:35 resettled him and he's asleep now

Do you think this is just developmental? My husband reckons we had this with the first, but then we have awful sleep with the first for 22 months so it's all a blur! I really don't think he's ready for one nap but not sure where to go from here. I'm worried because my inlaws are coming on the weekend to mind DS2 while we go to a wedding and stay overnight, not really sure what to ask them to do with him sleep wise. Feeling like I don't know my own baby.

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 19:10:50 pm »
Oh no! That's tough when they won't settle then get OT.

I think you're right about those NWs possibly being OT..and sounds like his naps were OT too.  Maybe it is developmental. MyDD has just had a phase of fighting BT.  She took her naps fine but was screaming and shouting at BT like you describe your DS is doing for naps.  I wondered if it was seperation anxiety as well as developmental leap? 
I did a combination of gradual withdrawal and WI/WO to get DD through her bedtime resistance. Not sure if that worked or whether the phase just passed for her.

The other option is that he's OT from the shorter, later nap..and it might be worth trying to put him down at the time he used to nap (9.30ish?) & see whether he settles better earlier?

Will he take the 9.30/10 am nap if it's in the pram/buggy/sling or the car? That usually means he still needs it around that time but something else is disrupting him (like SA or developmental stuff)
I think with your ILs coming, I would try to go back to the routine that was working for you before but accept they might have to AP the morning nap.  Would that work for them and with your DS1 to look after too?

I hope you have a lovely time and a break too at the wedding this weekend.

"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 09:07:21 am »
Well he well slept 1hr20 and that was broken at the 30 minute mark, did BT at 6:30 and he woke today at 5:45, was tired after about 2.5hr A, he wouldn't play on his own and just followed me whinging and calling SA is sooooo bad when he's tired which makes sense, dragged him out to 9:15 so 3.5hr A, had to cuddle him to sleep, he cried out at the 30 mark and re settled still asleep, his A times seem to be shot which I guess is tiredness he looks so tired but just does not drop!

Think I'm going to go back to baby led for a few days and hope he catches up, even if we get the early starts then hopefully start to push out and go long nap short nap, I think aiming for  short then long has got us into a mess along with everything he has going on.

Thanks for your help, just have to let go Sunday and try and have a good time but it's so hard not to worry abou them isn't it!

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 12:24:13 pm »
I always worry how mine are if I'm away, even for just a morning..but they're always fine & it's good to get some time away too.

It does sound like he's got OT and need to catch up so following his lead to do that sounds good.

Once he has caught up, I suppose your options are either go back to a 30min nap but starting before 10 as maybe pushing nap later and cutting it short at same time was too much? or to push his A times again but let him sleep as long as he wants for first nap.

FWIW- we've had to go back to short am/long pm again as DD started pushing her 2nd A time too long for a 2nd nap but then got OT on only 1 nap.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 14:51:44 pm »
  :'( all gone wrong again I'm guessing we're in an OT, UT loop. So he woke himself this morning after 1hr20 started toget a grump on at 3 and abit hrs A so asleep by 3.5 A again awake after 30mins. I think I'm confusing his grumpy wonder week behaviour and SA with tiredness!! So probably in
for another early start tomorrow. The 2-1 is a pig to put it mildly!!

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 18:31:43 pm »
It definitely is!

What's your plan for the weekend?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD