Author Topic: 4 Month Easy...Not so easy?  (Read 6709 times)

Offline Meggyfunk

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: July 23, 2016, 16:52:53 pm »
This is my very first mom post, yay!  ;D

My little one will be 4 months on Monday and sh** has hit the fan in our dreamy little household. Initially, like many other moms, I thought our sweet son hit a growth spurt and I kindly obliged his added nighttime feedings (2-3 per night) thinking all would be well again within a few nights. When a few nights had passed and nap time became a tough battle, I took to Google for answers. We are going on three weeks of this not so glorious new schedule and working very hard to find our new normal. His regression has given us the opportunity to drop his last nap, move bedtime up and discover this amazing forum!

I've followed the idea of EASY, though I never quite accomplished the routine I hoped for in lengthening to a 4 hour EASY plan and moving his bedtime up to a kid-friendly time. His routine starting at about 2 months old was 1.5 hours of awake time, 1-2 hour naps and he slept through the night from about 10pm - 7am. Most naps lasted 1 hour; 2 hour naps were pretty rare for us. We counted our blessings and went with what worked for us.

So, here are my questions on what I'm not finding to be so easy, as I've been stuck on the hamster wheel with a 2.5 hour EASY routine (recently making it closer to 3 with some tweaking - yippee!)...

E - I'm trying to stretch him to 30 minutes after he wakes. This has been the most helpful tweak in getting a longer routine down. It doesn't always go over well and work as planned, and I still don't understand how I can accomplish a 4 hour EASY when his tummy won't allow longer stretches? I'm barely getting a 3 hour EASY.

A - 1.5 hours of awake time was his magical number and he's now ready for about 2 hours (I think?). He has started completely fighting me at nap time with his regression and I've found that pushing it back a little is less of a battle.

S - The only thing I have found that will help him sleep longer stretches during nap time is feeding him a bit more before his nap. I admittedly have done so out of desperation when I've truly needed that "Y" time to get important things done. Otherwise, it is completely random when he sleeps for longer than 45 minutes to 1 hour during the day currently. His first nap of the day is where I have the best shot at a good nap length. Everything I've tried to help him resettle works against me, he's wide awake and ready to play! He's truly never taken really long naps unless of course daddy is watching him. That just reiterates the idea that daddy thinks mommy has it soooo easy during the day!

As I was typing this, I was also nursing him and he fell asleep. Would you take advantage of the extra sleep when this happens (because it does at times) or try and stick to the routine?

Y - I'm willing to work hard to get those 1.5 hours - 2 hours that everyone talks about!

Notes (that may or may not be important):

We wake him for the day at 8:30am and he goes to bed about 8:30pm. Bedtime was 11pm at 1 month, 10pm at two months and we kept moving it up until just recently accomplishing 8:30pm within the last week.

He is breastfed and takes about 4-5 ounces per feeding. I give him an expressed bottle about 1 hour before bed and nurse him after his bath, just before bed. It's my way of "cluster" feeding him before bedtime. The last few weeks he has been waking 2-3 times per night to nurse (wah, wah, wah).

Alright moms...it seems the only thing standing in my way of a 4 hour EASY is a hungry little tummy and nap time? I don't want to create a habit of feeding him twice during his A time to accomplish longer naps. That would kind of defeat the purpose of aiming for 4 hour feeding stretches, right!?

Enjoying being a first time mom and thankful for forums such as this!

Offline Meggyfunk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 00:33:23 am »
Help!!

Today he only napped for a total of 2 hours and I moved his bedtime to 7:30. Waiting for the cries to come soon :-(....

Napping is such an issue!

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 4 Month Easy...Not so easy?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 01:02:35 am »
Hi Sweetie, welcome to BW :)

You're spot on - you should find he naps longer than 45min if you push that A time. 45min-1hr naps are UT and I'm not surprised given the 1.5hr A time.

Average A times are:
3 months - 1.5hr
4 months - 2hr
6 months - 2:45 to 3hr

A times really go up pretty fast in these three months and if you're not increasing, LO can get OT from too many UT naps and it just creates an enormous mess.

E - I'm trying to stretch him to 30 minutes after he wakes.
Stretching by the extra 30min before the nap and feeding on wakeup may give you a better feed (a bit drowsy still can give you a better feed) and its then nice and predictable for LO as well, as to when he'll get fed.

Offline Meggyfunk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 08:36:51 am »
Thank you!! If hunger also seems to play a role, would you recommend trying a top up while extending the wake time, or try one thing at a time (try extending A time for a few days first and go from there)?

Offline becj86

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 09:28:55 am »
I think you may find that the hunger cues are LO trying to get back to sleep. See how you go - of course, don't starve him if he's hungry. I think if he's awake that bit longer, he'll fall asleep more easily because he's actually tired and he'll take a better feed because he's hungry and feeding on WU is predictable. Part of the problem you're seeing could well be snacking.

If you want to top up, I'd suggest feeding on WU and then again after 45min so he's getting the extra milk but not associating feeding with sleep.

Offline Meggyfunk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 18:04:29 pm »
Hi There -

I just wanted to report back and thank you for the encouragement to increase his A time! Silly mommy, he just had more energy that he needed to burn. ;D

I'm just so happy to report that I'm no longer throwing my hands in the air and tossing in the towel on a nap that just isn't happening, or nursing him at odd times to try and get him to tank up for a decent nap. Daytime "S" times have become less of a struggle by increasing the A time to anywhere from 1 hr 45 minutes up to 2 hr 10 minutes. He has been taking three naps per day again which have ranged from 1 hour - 2 hours. His prior 4th nap has dropped and simply become bedtime. I'm consistently feeding him when he wakes again, so we are back into an EASY routine. The last few days he has averaged a 3 hour EASY, with the occasional 4 hour. It might be safe to say that we are off the 2.5 hour EASY hamster wheel.  :-X

Now onto the sleep board to figure out how to get him sleeping through the night again instead of nursing through the night  ::)

Offline becj86

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 22:23:34 pm »
So glad you're seeing better naps :)