Author Topic: 19 wo suddenly with short naps and frequent NW  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Pats1980

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
19 wo suddenly with short naps and frequent NW
« on: July 26, 2016, 21:19:30 pm »
Hi,

I´m a bit desperate so writing for any advice :)

I have a 19wo who´s been on EASY pretty much since she was born. She was doing great but suddenly a couple of weeks ago it all changed. I´ve been reading there´s a 4 month sleep regression and seems we may have hit that but not sure what to do!!!

I am already back at work so NWs are very hard right now; specially as they have increased. She was sleeping from 7pm to 4am straight and now she´s waking anywhere from 3 to 7 times a night; crying a lot. Also, she´s waking up from her naps, after a 35-minute cycle and it´s hard getting her to sleep more.

She´s on a 4 hour EASY starting her day at 7-715. She eats at 7am/11am/3pm and then seems to be very hungry at 630ish so feeds then and has a top up right before bedtime at 730pm. She has expressed breastmilk at 11am and 3pm (180-195ml - 6-6.5 ozs in each) and breastfeed all other feedings.

What can this be? How can I help her go back to sleeping during her naps and NWs?? Any advice?

Thank you (A desperate mom!)

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: 19 wo suddenly with short naps and frequent NW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 12:07:52 pm »
Hugs, sounds tough, especially with having to go to work in the day too.

How does she get to sleep for naps and at bedtime? I.e. Does she self settle?

Could you post her nap routine in EASY format please? E.g.

Wu: 7
E:7am
A:2hrs
S: 9-11
Etc...
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Pats1980

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 03:42:39 am »
She sleeps on her own both for naps and bedtime but if she wakes up then she needs helps settling down. At night I usually settle her breastfeeding her...I know I shouldn't but I'm very tired and that works.

Tonight she went to bed at 730ish and by 1030 has woken up 3 times. Two of those desperately crying even when holding her. She calmed down after a while but would start crying desperately again if I put her down.

Her schedule is:
7am: eat
715: A
9:00: S
935: she wakes up and lately rarely goes back to sleeping
11: E
11:15: A
12: S (if she's been awake since 935 she usually goes napping again at 12ish
1235: she wakes up again; sometimes at 110
110: A
3: E
3:15: A
330-4: S
435: A
6: bath time
630: E
715: top-up and bed

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 18:46:02 pm »
Hmmm, could be 4mo sleep regression, but LOs usually start coming out of it by around 19-20wks, especially if they can self settle for naps and at BT, like your LO can.

Could she be teething and waking from naps and at night from the discomfort?

The other thing might be that she needs a bit more A time in the day? I wonder if she's taking short naps as not tired enough but then getting over tired by the end of the day from only having shirt naps thus giving you NWs due to OT?

Crying when waking at night like that is usually OT, pain or hunger for us. 

If you think she might be teething, try some pain meds before naps and BT.

If not, then try increasing her A time before her first nap by 15-30 mins (usually done in 10-15min increments every 2-3 days). She might also need an A time increase before the next nap too. 1hr10-15naps are sometimes a touch undertired.

If you increase her A times and get longer naps, you'll probably find you need to cut the 3rd nap quite short to maintain BT.... In which case you'll be  at the start of the 3-2 transition!

Have a look at these links for more info:
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!
All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months

"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Pats1980

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 21:25:47 pm »
Thanks for your reply!!!!

She´s definitely not teething so I will try increasing her A time for a few days and see how that goes. Fingers crossed we´ll get some progress there! :)