Author Topic: Sleep talk  (Read 1456 times)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
Sleep talk
« on: August 01, 2016, 20:45:43 pm »
I've heard a wee bit about sleep talk and think I'd like to try it.  Would it work for helping dd1 to go to sleep without me lying on the floor.  ( scared of the dark and just wants mummy).

I had a wee Google but couldn't find too much about it or even what I should be saying to her?

Has anyone had much success with sleep talk?

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Sleep talk
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 07:18:34 am »
I've used it for various things like hitting and separating for nursery as well as toilet issues.

There are some helpful threads here with suggested scripts.

Anyone want to talk about Sleep Talk?
Crying at nursery dropoff and sleep talk script
sleep talk script for hitting

I'd recommend the book to get a better understanding of the concept if possible.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 20:34:11 pm »
Ive used it a couple of times too and it's helped. I haven't read the book but got the gist of it from on here, including scripts. So you go in an hour or two after they've fallen asleep and you talk positively about the issue as though the end goal has already been reached.  5 nights on and 2 nights off. So you might say something like
"Hi E, it's Mummy. I love you so much and I want you to know I'm proud of you for going to sleep so well at bedtime.  You just relax in your own bed and drift off all by yourself to have sweet dreams. You know that you are safe and comfy and loved. Goodnight, (and I used to tell DD1 thank you for being you!)"
The language is positive rather than telling her she doesn't have to be afraid, she doesn't need mummy etc. Even though that is a positive message you dont want those negative words going into her subconscious :) Hope that helps
Emma

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 21:27:34 pm »
That's fantastic thank you. I'll give it a go tomorrow night. I was looking for the book and it's so hard to get. It's like £40 for a used copy. 

So how long until you saw results?

My angel baby girl

Offline Emami

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 06:10:52 am »
Not long at all. Definitely within the first 5 day cycle. I continued with it for a few nights to reinforce the message and make sure it wasn't a one off
Emma

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 06:19:14 am »
Do you think that would also help with the morning time.  As soon as she wakes she shouts on me and won't wait for the sun to come out unless I'm with her.  Even if she is still really tired x

My angel baby girl

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 07:56:08 am »
Sorry to be a pest. But my girls just started nursery and Eva is really struggling. Crying telling me she doesn't want to go back do you think I could try using sleep talk for this and I'll tackle sleep later. If so what would i say to help her?

My angel baby girl

Offline Emami

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 08:19:37 am »
I'm no expert, but yeah I think you should probably tackle one thing going at a time. I've only used it for poop when first potty training, and then for getting dressed when she was having some clothes issues. But for nursery I would maybe say:
"Hi Eva it's Mummy. I love you so much and you're doing so well at nursery. I'm proud of you, daddy's proud of you, and most importantly you're proud of yourself for going in and being brave every day. You have so much fun with your friends, and your teachers care about you and keep you safe. Sweet dreams, I love you."
Emma