Author Topic: Unsettled naphew  (Read 1897 times)

Offline babyrose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My two beautiful strong boys
Unsettled naphew
« on: July 31, 2016, 10:11:18 am »
Hi, my little nephew is giving his mum a hard time with feeding. He's 9 weeks old and around 10lbs and putting on weight well.

But he isn't feeding well my sister b/f him pretty much since he was born, he was always just constantly wanting fed and then falling asleep then waking 5 mins later wanting fed again pretty tiring for her. Now she has changed to bottle as it was too much, he screams for food but doesn't want to feed then passes out after finally taking it. ( not sure on volumes but I could ask.)

He is on gaviscon maybe a week of being it properly but previously just Infacol as he wasn't breaking wind.

She hasn't got anytime to do anything and think just wants some help! Any info would be great thanks.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Unsettled naphew
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 21:13:04 pm »
I would go back to the GP or HV and serif she can get meds to try or change formula to a hypoallergenic - it sounds like reflux but could well be cow's milk protein intolerance too. If they have prescribed gaviscon they must suspect reflux.

Has he been checked for tongue tie at all - if not she should insist on that being looked at.

What formula is he on at the moment?

Laura

Offline babyrose

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 08:34:03 am »
Hi Laura, thanks for replying.

I think they did suspect reflux and put him on gaviscon but my sister didn't seem to think that was the problem and took him off it only to retry him again recently when we were talking about S.

Also suspected tongue tie and he got seen for that a few weeks ago but still not solving anything. I'm not sure what formula, I will ask today and get back to you on that one and get my sister to see about his meds.

Nicola

Offline babyrose

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 16:07:46 pm »
Hi, spoke to my sister and she changed him over to aptimil. He started on it at 4 weeks, and gradually increased it till he was on it completely by 6 weeks. When he went back on the gaviscon it was just half the recommend dose as the doc didn't change the prescription from the first time when he was just little. Then as of tues last week they upped it (though still not the max as he takes varying amounts of his feed) and a couple of days later he started doing formed poos, and once it was little hard pellets. After speaking to the health visitor on the thurs, they reduced the amount again. The extra gaviscon did coincide with a reduction in his crying, but it was also around the time he had his vaccinations so may also be to do with that!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 20:49:01 pm »
Hmm - sounds like she needs to speak to the HV/ Dr again. Gaviscon is pretty useless really, it's not much more than a thickener and it does cause constipation.

He may be better off with a reflux formula and ranitidine but the Dr would need to prescribe that. The reflux formulas are easily available now and much easier to use than gaviscon, she may have discussed it with the HV though.

Laura

Offline babyrose

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 08:42:31 am »
OK thanks again, hopefully they will get seen soon. She looks exhausted.

Offline babyrose

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 13:22:33 pm »
Hi, got an update about my nephew. They went back to the doctors and basically she got told to double the dosage but only in 4 feeds a day and something for being constipated and the next step would be a referral to a pediatrician and return to the doctors in 4 wks time.

I then reminded my sister to ask about a reflux formula and I think she also forgot about ranatinde which I'm going to remind her about as I feel that it's the gaviscon the doctors given but I don't think it's fixing anything for him.