Author Topic: TRAVEL- readjusting sleep routine 14hr diff  (Read 822 times)

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
TRAVEL- readjusting sleep routine 14hr diff
« on: August 02, 2016, 05:12:00 am »
Hi all,

Anyone have tips for readjusting from traveling?

We tried a quick method but DS got run down quickly and slept a lot less. I expected this as it took us 7 days to adjust to Korea time, 14 hr ahead, but he caught up on sleep quickly there. We're trying a gradual method of shifting every 2 hrs or so each day.  It's tough though.

Normal routine:
Bed 8:30pm-6:30am
Nap 1:00pm-2:00pm

Currently:
Bed 11:00am-9:00pm
Nap around 3:00am for 1-1.5hrs

I'm pushing A times to 7hrs until we can get to a decent hour. I take him out first thing in the morning. Again, I tried capping the day sleep to 4 hrs and planned to go down from there, but his night sleep didn't extend like it did in Korea. Maybe he's ready now after being here a few more days?

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
Re: TRAVEL- readjusting sleep routine 14hr diff
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 06:43:36 am »
Ugh, that's really tough. I know you've already tried doing it quickly but honestly, that's what I'd persevere with and ride out the OT. I couldn't deal with being nocturnal! We've traveled a lot with our girls too (8hr time change so not quite as big but still substantial) and it's hard, but I think of it like having a terrible night when they're ill or whatever and nobody gets any sleep.  I wouldn't then let them make up for a sleepless night by sleeping all day yk? So I would go back to your original plan and he will be OT, but he will have to catch up at some point. Also being up during the day will help him adjust as the natural light will help his body get his days and nights switched back.

If you really don't think it will work to push through then I guess keep doing what you're doing by a couple of hours at a time. My concern with that would be how long it will take to get back to normal, and do you have the flexibility to do that and be up all night?
Emma

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 06:50:15 am »
I'm with Emma, I would bite the bullet and just switch back all at once and ride out the OT.  Sometimes by trying to help we over-compensate and drag the whole thing out.  I certainly wouldn't be letting him sleep all day!  Yes he will be tired and grumpy but I would get out in the daylight as much as possible in daytime hours, put his meals in the right times of day, and keep everything dark and quiet at night even if he is awake.  So if he needs to get up for a quiet play then fine but don't engage, keep the light super-low, only quiet toys, no screens, and straight back into bed as soon as he shows any signs of tiredness.  In the day keep him awake as far as possible other than for his usual nap time and length.  Bear in mind 14h time difference is really 10h ;) and if you allow for a hour per day adjustment (that's typically how long it takes them to sort themselves out) we're talking max 10 days from now to be back on routine, and you'll probably find it happens quicker.  When we travelled with DD an 11h time difference we stuck rigidly to her usual routine and it took 5 days for her to be back to sleeping through x

Offline ginger428

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 07:12:11 am »
Thanks so much Katherine and Emma.  I will switch back... it'll be like ripping off a bandaid.  I'm home but I'd like to start living again and see people during the day. Haha. I was initially concerned because he became congested a couple nights ago, but it's not progressing and no fever. And he wouldn't stay quiet at night... screaming and crying. Ugh. We're working on props, too. Plan to take him to his cousins tomorrow so they can play with and distract him during the day! Thanks again!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 07:14:53 am by ginger413 »

Offline ginger428

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 10:59:01 am »
Were your NWs up to 3 hrs long? M will not sleep until at least 3 hrs later.

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 11:36:45 am »
yes my kids still do this when we go eats with a 12 hr time diff and want to be fed at strange hrs of the night :(
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 12:34:31 pm »
Us too, and I agree it can be to do with stomach adjusting as well as sleep.  We've done midnight snacks before (would never normally be allowed), but kept it clear it's night time. So out of bed but not out of the bedroom, dim light, minimal talking, and something quick like a banana or sandwich. It's never lasted longer than 3 nights.
Emma