Author Topic: 18 month sleep regression or adjust bed time at night  (Read 720 times)

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
18 month sleep regression or adjust bed time at night
« on: August 02, 2016, 18:36:38 pm »
My DD is on 1 nap and it's been going fine, but she began resisting going to sleep at night. Our routines are strict so it's not a matter of sleep training. She would usually go to bed at 7 but for a couple of weeks she is up until 8, a little upset.
Will this pass after 18 mo sleep regression or is her bedtime in need of shift? what is the experience on this forum please?
Our routine is:
6-6:30 up
12-2:30 nap (30 min +/-)
7 bed
Thank you

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Re: 18 month sleep regression or adjust bed time at night
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 07:15:08 am »
From my experience this regression is huge. I waited 3 weeks and capped nap from 2h to 1.5h which helped immediately. But it's worth mentioning that after probably 6-8weeks I could stop capping and let him sleep even more than 1.5h as he needed less sleep but only during this regression. My this is my experience:).

What I would do is waiting for a bit up to 10-14 days at least with any changes. As you are around 18mo it definitely can be just a regression. Check if capping works (for us it was a big cap from 2 to 1.5h, 1.75 was still too much). If BT and nights are better go with it and after 2-3 weeks stop capping and see if it is ok. If capping doesn't work - I would just try to ride it out.

Oh and I wouldn't push bedtime as you already have almost 13h day.
~Marta

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 16:28:48 pm »
Thank you very much! I read some place babies need to go to sleep later and that threw me off balance.  I will ride it out, will try without changes to nap first, if I can preserve sanity between 7-8.
I think/wonder it's not a good idea to introduce father's help at this stage? probably not a good timing?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 17:10:47 pm »
I guess that pushing to 8pm would be fine with a toddler who gets up around 7am. But with a 6am WU I would say 7pm is a decent BT and pushing it may take more sleep from your baby than just capping a nap.
~Marta

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 17:13:45 pm »
yes I will do that.