Author Topic: 8mo - can I start to get ready for 2 to 1 transition?  (Read 5279 times)

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: 8mo - can I start to get ready for 2 to 1 transition?
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2016, 13:07:20 pm »
There is a developmental leap and sleep regression at 9 mo that can cause crying at BT and naps and NWs..but yes shouting/crying when UT but not settling can then lead to OT. Is he working on any new skills?

I'd agree that your naps yesterday look UT..1hr15 is usually slightly UT for us.  If you get a later Wu again, I'd try to keep around 3hr30 first A time at least..if you want to keep doing long am/short pm.

I feel your pain with the EWs,.got same issue here!  For us chronic EWs have usually been resolved by one of the following:

Managing to resettle and push whole day forward (usually possible if EW is from OT)
Increasing A times somewhere in the day - so either first nap or BT is later
Increasing A times by cutting the CN shorter.

It sounds like it's not possible to resettle from EW and cutting the CN shorter than 45 mins gave you OT, I think?

Here are my thoughts...but again I'm struggling to see patterns as the A times vary so widely
If you want to stick with long am:
From you last few days it looks like around 3.5-4hrs A time gives you a good first nap but the 3.5 gave EW the next day...maybe choose a first A time and stick to it for the next few days & see how the days pan out?

Other option if you're getting OT at BT after an afternoon CN, would be to try short am/long pm...maybe try the 45 min nap in the morning (maybe around 11.30ish?), and try for a long nap around 3-3.5hrs after that and that would give you a longer sleep to get to BT?  So possibly:
Wu: 8
A: 3hr-3hr30
S: 11.30-12.15 (or 11.15-12)
A: 3hrs-3hr30
S: 3.15/30-5.15/30 (or 3-5)
A:3hr30 (or 4hrs if can do long A time after long nap)
BT: 9?

Around this age/stage my DD was doing something similar (but with an earlier start to the day)
Wu: 6.30
A: 3hrs-ish
Nap 9.15/9.30-10
A:3.5hrs
Nap :1.30-3.30
A:4hrs
BT: 7.30
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 13:22:25 pm by Scottishmummy »
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline N_Mom_S

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2016, 19:01:59 pm »
Hi!! Those are really good ideas, thank you! Although today's EASY is probably going to throw you off! It totally threw me off:

WU 8:40   
E 9:05   
A 2h 50m   (he was tired)
S 11:30-13:25   /1h 55m   
E 13:30   
A 3h 10m   (a bit UT so it took a while, but he didn't cry)
S 16:35- 17:15   /0h 40m   
E 18:00, 20:00    
A 3h 25m   
BT 20:40 (OT, cried 12min... getting better...)

I imagine soon he'll have an OT waking. In general it was a really good day, with really short A times for what he's used to, I guess he's still catching up from the trip. BT's A time has to be shorter, definitely. I wonder if we'll have EW tomorrow...

So it seems we're back to long am nap (but after really short A time, confusing). But if/when EW continue I'll probably have to follow your short am/long pm nap advice  :-\ I'll try to resettle EW in any way possible, although I'm not very confident in that one, usually he doesn't even go back to sleep after nursing.

Offline N_Mom_S

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2016, 09:37:58 am »
Hi! I wanted to share good news  ;D Last night he only woke up at 23:00 and then he ate at 1:15, and that was it! Until 7:45 this morning  :) We'll keep EBT and probably fixed nap times, especially the first one: both yesterday and today 11:30 perfectly with very different WU times. We started giving him more solids yesterday and I eliminated one BF, that has probably helped too.
The 1 minute night weaning for the first feed is working so far, we're down to 10 min. Did you go all the way down to 1 minute or did you eliminate it earlier than that?

Let's hope we have a good period without EW, also with your LO!

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2016, 10:25:08 am »
Great news! So pleased this has worked out for you. The night weaning too..I found that at around 2-3mins DS stopped waking or would settle without feeding.

I sometimes wonder whether EW and fighting BT might be developmental..my DD seems to be working in pulling up & cruising and now she's starting to get it we got a later wu this morning..will see if it lasts!

Good luck to you too, hope the long lies continue  :)
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline N_Mom_S

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2016, 07:35:38 am »
Hello again!!!

I have a question re: the 2/1 transition. Yesterday he did this because we were away and he refused to take his afternoon nap in the stroller:

WU 7:30
A4h10
S 11:40-13:45 (2h05)
A6h40
BT 20:25

And today (after 2 night feeds) he woke up at 8:25am  ;D He was tired in the evening and fussied a little but not terribly, and putting him down at bedtime was easy. Does this mean he's ready for the transition? Should I start pushing the am A time?

Offline N_Mom_S

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2016, 09:13:29 am »
Or capping the am short?  That's what's suggested in the FAQ, I guess it applies to our situation?
Do you think I should go for it? He's 9.5mo but he's always been early for everything (growth spurts, some of the milestones, teething...)

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2016, 09:52:56 am »
I would be cautious to just jump to 1 nap straight away. Whilst he handled it for one day whilst you were out and about the chances are after a few days of 1 nap he would probably be pretty OT.

It's up to you which nap you start to cap when going through the 2-1. If the afternoon nap becomes a struggle then it's a good idea to do short am long pm. That also usually stops any EW. If it's BT that becomes a struggle then usually long am and short pm works better.

My DD is a similar age and we're in the thick of the 2-1 too! She is lsn and at the moment her day looks like this

Wu 6
Nap 10.30-12
Nap 4-4.15 (this is usually in the car as she won't go down otherwise)
BT 7 (asleep by 7.15)

HTH X
Lauren

Offline N_Mom_S

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2016, 19:44:06 pm »
Thank you Lauren! Our LOs were born almost on the same day! haha
Good to know it's possible then, I was worried it was too early to start but I think he's ready.
Are you cutting the am short or the pm one? Today he refused both 2nd nap (after only 1h20 am nap) and BT, so I don't know what to do! I think the 2nd nap was worse though. I'll keep an eye on both but I'll start cutting the am one short.
Should I keep posting in the 2-1 transition post instead of here?

Offline lolsyb1982

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2016, 20:24:42 pm »
Oh really haha!

They're in a development leap at the moment according to my app so that could be contributing to some of the refusals.
At the moment we're cutting the pm nap short but this will have to be switched around in 2 weeks when I'm back to work and she's with a childminder.

You can post here and if you like join the chat on the 2-1 nap thread for moral support  ;)
Lauren

Offline N_Mom_S

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2016, 11:29:23 am »
Hello again! We've had a couple of irregular days and I'd like to ask for advice about what to do next. Yesterday and today I've had to be out and about in the mornings and he hasn't taken naps in the stroller, so I've put him down after getting home. He was OT but he didn't cry much going down.

Our last 2 days + today: 

WU 8:25
A 3h25
S 11:50-13:15 (1H25)
A 4H35
S 17:50-18:25 (35M)
A 3H5
BT 21:30  (great night after that, only 1 NW)

WU 8:50
A 4H20
S 13:10-15:40 (2H30)
A 5H45
BT 21:25 (more or less good night)

WU 9:20
A 3H40
S 13:00-.... I imagine he'll take a long nap and we'll do something similar to yesterday

Should I go back to what we had on the first day? WU time is getting later (I'm not complaining! haha) so I don't know if I'll be able to make him nap at his usual morning nap time...

Offline lolsyb1982

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2016, 12:10:31 pm »
I would say go back to your original A times on the first day. Whilst he handled the longer A's for a couple of days they might not be sustainable long term.

If your first nap is starting to shorten or he's sleeping longer at night you could probably give him a nudge on A times by 15 mins or so.
Lauren

Offline N_Mom_S

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2016, 12:34:46 pm »
OK thank you, we'll see how it goes!!  :)