Author Topic: Experiences with short-long-short routine please  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Experiences with short-long-short routine please
« on: August 05, 2016, 12:40:53 pm »
Hi all,

My ds2 is 11 weeks and currently takes four naps- two in the Moses basket and two in the sling. It's gettin more and more difficult to resettle him in the sling however and the only Moses basket nap I can resettle is the one over lunchtime as that is when ds1 is napping. This has got me thinking about going down the short-long-short route rather than the usual route. What age has this worked for your lo's and what a time were they doing? And how did the routine change as they got older? Did the last nap just get capped shorter and shorter until it disappeared and then the same for the first?

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: Experiences with short-long-short routine please
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 14:00:23 pm »
Can you post what your routine looks like now hun?  Doing a short-long-short wouldn't be unreasonable, however it might work better once A times are a bit longer so you don't get an OT buildup.

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 17:09:46 pm »
I'm not thinking of doing it right now as I know his a times are too short- he is only doing 1 hr 30 after a good nap ( I know this is high for his age but it seems to be right for him). I'm guessing he needs to be doing atleast 2.5 hours a time for it to work?

I just think it would be easier to achieve whilst ensuring I meet ds1's needs (he is only 21 months and so can't be left for long periods whilst I try and resettle)

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 18:57:46 pm »
Yes absolutely, there is another mod here who did the short-long-short routine and it worked very well for her.  I'll have her pop on, but I believe her A times were around what you suggested and she did the long nap mid-day which would likely coincide with your DS's nap.

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 13:08:27 pm »
Hi

Yes, I did short-long-short with my DS, but out of necessity rather than choice as he would only ever do a short first nap, and not until he was 5 or 6mo and managing 2.5-3hr A times.  Like you, the only one I could easily resettle was the lunchtime one. From memory our day was roughly:

Wu: 6.30 ish
A- 2.5hrs
Nap 1- 9 ish for 30-40 mins (depending on how long he slept)
A 2.5hrs
Nap 2: 12/12.30 for 1.5-2hrs
A: 2.5hrs ish
Nap 3: 4-4.30 PM
A:2.5hr
BT: 7pm

I seem to remember that he gradually increased his first and second A times so naps 1 & 2 got later but for a while he would always be ready for a CN at 4, even if he'd only woken at 3! Gradually that got later and shorter too & also harder to get him to settle for it until I couldn't even AP it and he went on to a short am/long pm routine.

On other hand DD started the same- only easily resettling lunchtime nap, but as her A times increased she started doing a long morning & afternoon nap herself.  This was also around 5-6 mo.  Around 8mo I started capping the am nap as the pm one was getting later and later and harder for us to ever get out the house as DS' rest time was her main middle of the day awake time!

With your own DS2,  I think Lindsay is right that it feels too early to start capping naps.  Around the same ages as your LOs, I think I just ran with the naps we got, some short, some long.  As she says, do you want to post your current EASY to chat it through?

"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD