Author Topic: HELP - 7m/o suddenly stopped self soothing and napping  (Read 24251 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: HELP - 7m/o suddenly stopped self soothing and napping
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2016, 10:42:56 am »
Some of the resistance at nap time may be OT or it may be UT - just be aware that UT can be very hard to get LO down for incase you haven't experienced this with your other LOs.

Here's the link to Pantely's Gentle Removal Plan in case you couldn't find it
Gentle Removal Plan
It's a starting point really, and use whichever parts you feel are appropriate for you and LO.  The only way to break a habit is to creak it, you can go slowly or you can go quickly but movement forward needs to be there or it won't go.
I can't suggest anything based on my own experience as I didn't BF, co-sleep or have any props, but I'm happy to stop by to support!

Offline sueyloo

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2016, 04:27:54 am »
Thanks creations
It's not going well 😕
While yesterday wasn't a total failure, it wasn't a success either. I'm really struggling.
She was tired after only a 2.5hr A time. I couldn't put her down as I was getting set to take DC to school. In the end, she fell asleep on the way home but woke up as I was taking her out of her car seat. She resisted going down. I breastfed her and let her play for another 30 minutes. And this time she went down with minimal fussing.

I reluctantly woke her up after about 1.75hrs. Again she was tired before the 4hr mark but I couldn't put her down as I was doing school pick ups. When I finally did try she was OT and the resistance was strong! I tried for a repeat of the morning's success but no luck. She fell asleep crying in my arms.  Cue horrible guilty feelings.
BT was just as unsuccessful and stressful. Two NW and even managed to wake all the DC. Feeling like such a crap mom and so confused 😐

I want to nip this and get back to normalcy sooner rather than later so the gentle removal plan may not be ideal. I just don't think I can go another two weeks of this. I've spent the past hour reading about PU/PD. I will try using that today at nap time.
It's unbelievable how much a crying baby resisting sleep can affect one's mental wellbeing 😩😕

Offline creations

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2016, 19:54:31 pm »
Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear you've had such a bad day :(

Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
I'd suggest if you are going to move ot PUPD that you work out what routine you want to go for, write it down, and then do the PUPD at those times rather than winging it through the day. Many people are successful with getting LOs into a routine around school runs by being pretty strict on the routine times.

Would you also like to begin a PUPD thread for support with that? I have not used this method so whilst I can hand-hold you may prefer some BTDT experience from others in the community who have used the method.
What do you think?

Offline sueyloo

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2016, 05:38:49 am »
Hi Creations
I was actually thinking of doing that. I just had t figured out how to or where to post. Running on very little sleep and caffeine hasn't helped either 😳
Yesterday was a little bit better. After the crying math at 4am she stayed up until some time during school drop off. Woke up as she was being taken out of car seat but went down in her cot with only a little fuss. She had a good 2hour S. Then about 2.5hr A time. I think I was able to read her cues well this time so I let her have 30 minute S before school pick up. This time she went down without much fuss. I thought she could do with a cat nap before BT but she resisted so I let her stay up and have a cuddle with DH.
Did BT routine she went down quietly and I held my breath for half an hour. After which she started demanding her prop! I used PU/PD successfully I think. Took about 30 minutes or so before she went down. Had two or three NW and used PU/PD. Took about an hour or so each time. I almost wavered as I thought awww my poor baby. She's probably hungry plus my breasts were aching like never before. Oh but I didn't cave in. She managed to go back down and sleeep until I woke her up for a cheery morning smile cuddle and feed.

I'm hoping it gets better from now. I'll post on the PU/PD thread today if I run into any hitches. Or maybe just for some encouragement cuz I sure need it.

Offline sueyloo

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2016, 01:53:10 am »
Hi Creations
My EASY is not working 🙁😒I'm struggling to work around school times.
You had mentioned there are moms doing school runs with EASY routines that work. Please can you give me a run through? 

Yesterday this was her EASY
WU & E 6:25
A 6:45 - 7:45
E 7:45
A 8 - 9:15
S 9:15 - 9:35 (she fell asleep in the car) but resisted her nap when I tried transferring her to her cot
A 10:15 - 10:45
E 10:45
A 11
S 11:45 - 1:45(she was showing signs of tiredness)
E 1:50
A 1:50 - 4:50 (tried putting her down but resisted)
A 4:50 -6:30
E & BT routine 6:30
S 7
Not very good is it.
I've posted on the sleep board too…

Offline creations

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2016, 10:32:23 am »
You had mentioned there are moms doing school runs with EASY routines that work. Please can you give me a run through? 
Sorry not really no. As I only have one DS I have not experienced the joys of a baby and the school run.  The only thing I can really suggest (which I said in previous post) is to work out the routine you *can* do as best fit for LO and around school run and just stick to it to get her into a habit.
I did have some non-movable appointments twice per week with my DS so I made his routine based on A time for morning naps and then almost "set" naps for the rest of the day to work around our appointment time. I then kept all days as close to that as possible to maintain the habit and consistency.  It meant for us having a non-standard routine which fitted and worked well enough for us to get by. This is my suggestion for your routine.

I know there are a few people trying to fit in school runs around now and perhaps some other threads asking for support on this. Maybe you guys can support one another with ideas? I'm not sure. Thing is if there is someone experienced willing to "pay it forward" in the community then you could get help with a suitable thread title to attract the experienced eyes...otherwise you're kind of stuck with me who has no experience of either the school run with a baby in tow nor PUPD.

What I can say is that at 9 months the A time is likely closer to 3.5hrs now or even longer.  Waking her later or earlier in the morning might help to fit that A time in and avoid having her drop off in the car on the way.  But you might really need to push the routine to make it happen.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2016, 11:36:03 am »
Hi hun, can you do your easy with A being eyes open to eyes shut and sleep eyes shut to eyes open?

So
Wake/E 625
A:625-9:15
S 915-9:35
A:935-?? Thanks
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**