Author Topic: 14 month old - sep anxiety at night?  (Read 1136 times)

Offline haleytreat

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 11, 2016, 18:22:39 pm »
my 14 month old all of a sudden needs to see me in order to fall asleep at night. We are going on 3 weeks now. This week being the worse. It started after we got back from a 3 week vacation at my parents house. She slept like her normal self on vacation.... I rock her or stand at crib and then I would leave the room and she would sleep her 12 hours.

Now she is waking every 20 - 30 minutes after I leave the room. She will lay down and go to sleep as long as she can see me. I stay in there for another 20 minutes until i know She is sound asleep. But then 30 minutes later she wakes up and cries when she notices I am not there. Last night this lasted until 1230 in the morning! I am wore out and frustrated. How do i fix this?

last night, I did try to lay her down and immediately leave the room but she cries in a panic RIGHT away.

Also, she takes good naps and will play in crib in morning until i come get her. So the anxiety is just at night. I have a low lamp on in room too.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 18:24:41 pm by haleytreat »

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 14 month old - sep anxiety at night?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 20:00:37 pm »
Hi there, it may just be that she's realised she is alone etc and she just needs you, I think I'd probably try sticking to some GW if she's never fallen asleep independently. As it is she falls asleep in your arms and wakes up and your gone so she doesn't know how to get back to sleep if that makes sense!?

Toddler Specific Sleep Training Advice This link has some useful tips!

What does her day look like EAS wise?
Zoe

Offline haleytreat

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 20:14:34 pm »
What is GW?

She was falling asleep on own. I would rock till almost asleep and then put her down and she would wake a little and roll over and fall asleep and stay asleep. Or i would stand at crib till fell she started closing eyes and then leave and she would fall asleep and stay asleep.

but now she just keeps waking up and won't fall asleep on own. I don't know if its sep anxiety or what.

EASY is kind of all over the place these past 3 weeks. She started not taking her normal 2/2.5 hr naps so i figured she need an A time increase. Did that and some days the naps are 2 hours and others 1 hour. She is teething right now too. Plus since she isn't getting her normal 12 hours at night I have felt she was tired faster to would lessen the A time, which hasn't worked in my favor yet. It seems if I lower A time or extend it to normal the naps are not consistent. When she naps only an hour i will then do another cat nap. Im just at a loss at what to do with her! :P

yesterday:
(finally fell asleep at 1030 night before)
wu -730
S - 1130 - 1230 (had symptoms of a cold so put down early) - no symptoms today so guessing it was teeth
CN - 4 - 445
bedtime - fell asleep at 8 - up every 20-30 min till 1230

today
Wu- 8
S - 1210 - 145

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 18:26:11 pm »
Sorry gradual withdrawal there is info on it in the link I added and other sleep training methods.

I think you maybe need to progress to putting her down awake and no rocking etc so she knows she is going to bed without you.

It could just be teeth playing havoc or is she on the verge of a new skill, developmental leap!? Are you medicating?

Zoe

Offline haleytreat

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 18:44:22 pm »
I went ahead with alittle gw and wiwo methods last night. I rocked her for a bit and read books and then I am putting her to bed. I went back in every few minutes and kissed her and layed her back down. It took a couple hours but she went to sleep and slept all night 😊

I have medicated but I don't think it's her teeth. I think she for some reason all of a sudden wants me to sleep by her  ???

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 18:55:42 pm »
Wow that's great  :)

It may just be developmental....these leaps always throw off sleep for us, just found had to ride it out and stick to routine and be consistent x
Zoe

Offline haleytreat

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 19:10:26 pm »
I checked and not in leap. So I think she just needed help falling asleep on own 😌  I know it needed to be done but man I do not like her to cry 😞

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 19:49:01 pm »
As long as your with her then she won't be damaged by the crying, she can see you so it's reassuring. Any change comes some crying but as long as cry it out isn't used she will still have trust in you Hun x
Zoe

Offline haleytreat

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 20:00:06 pm »
I know. But thank you for reassurance. Nap only had 20 minutes of crying so yah!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 20:09:56 pm »
She will learn that your still there for her but it's sleep time. Well done for being strong and being there for her  :)
Zoe

Offline haleytreat

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 20:13:28 pm »
Thank you so much!!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 20:27:41 pm »
Your welcome, keep us posted xx
Zoe