Author Topic: Is my newborn eating enough?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline KingCabbage

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 06, 2016, 14:32:56 pm »
Hi all! I am brand new to the forum and am starting on implementing EASY with my month-old. I definitely have some questions about that but am going to wait til I have a full day written down in case that helps elucidate me going forward.

For now, I've been concerned because my lo eats for about 5-10 minutes on one side then is done. Some friends on FB said that this is normal for some babies, that their babies did it and it might just mean she is an efficient feeder or my ducts let lots of milk through or something.  She has had some longer naps sometimes up to 3-4 hours.

I think am producing plenty, the last time I pumped after a full night it was 4.5 oz from both sides. (My husband and I take 2 nights off and 2 nights on so on the nights he is bottle feeding her I can pump a lot next morning).

She's gained weight this week at her doctor's checkup, not a ton, but the doctor wasn't worried and said she was still in the normal range. And she is producing plenty of wet and soiled diapers.

Anything I should worry about though? I know my doctor keeps saying she should be eating 15 minutes from each side at least. Sometimes she only eats 5 minutes from one side before stopping though. It's not usually because she falls asleep either, she'll be awake, just not interested (she clamps her lips shut when I try to feed her).

Also, she is colicky, if that sheds any light on it.

Thanks guys!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 15:19:34 pm »
She sounds like my DD3. She is 4 months now. She sounds like she is doing brilliantly. Putting on weight and plenty of wet/soiled nappies and content between feeds are the things that all indicate she's getting enough. You may find in a growth spurt taking two nights off may affect your supply being built up as they do tend to feed round the clock for a few days.

Sounds like your LO is doing wonderfully!  Welcome here too xx

Offline KingCabbage

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 17:18:30 pm »
Thanks! Sounds good then, I am just paranoid about every little thing - new mom! And with the colic it's making everything that much more confusing ;)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 20:48:56 pm »
You're both doing great. Hope you are enjoying lots of newborn snuggles. It goes so fast xx