Author Topic: 10 Month Old with Terrible Sleep Habits  (Read 864 times)

Offline cgf

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 08, 2016, 14:11:32 pm »
Hi all, I'm posting on behalf of my sister who is at her whits end with her 10 month old baby!

My niece is a very feisty and energetic baby. She usually wakes up at about 7:30, and isn't ready for a nap until 11. She generally takes one big nap till about 2, and refuses any attempts at a second nap even when she seems tired later on in the afternoon. Her parents try to put her down for the night at about 7/730 but she generally refuses until 9 pm. SHe also needs to be rocked to sleep for about an hour for both nap and bedtime.

So she definitely needs to learn to self soothe, would you generally recommend PD or PU/PD at this age? And where can i find the  page with very specific instructions on how to go about doing it? And generally, is there any way to know how long and how many nights the training would take?

As far as naps, to me it seems like she might be OT but I dont know enough to advise what they should do. Can a 10 month old handle a one nap schedule?

Eagerly awaiting your advice. TY so much!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 10 Month Old with Terrible Sleep Habits
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 17:00:25 pm »
Hi,

Sorry your post has been missed. I shall bump it for you now  :)

I have never tried PU/PD so cannot comment on that but I would suggest that some kind of sleep training would be very beneficial now! 1 hour to get her to sleep is too long at that age really and shortening this down would help them all get in a good route.

I think at 10 months some LSN Los can be ready for one nap, others are heading there already with a CN at the start or end of the day.

I am sure others will be along soon with more advice x

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: 10 Month Old with Terrible Sleep Habits
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 20:13:37 pm »
Hi

Here's the link on PU/PD: Pick Up/Put Down (PU/PD) - Everything you ever needed to know!
This one here also includes adaptations for older babies, which might help your sister with sleep training her LO How to PU/PD (inc age adaptations)

10 mo is young for 1 nap, but possible,,is she doing a 3 hr nap 11-2, or is it 1 hr to settle and a 2 hr nap 12-2?
I just ask as she might need an earlier BT with just one nap at this age (especially if it's a 2 hr nap) and the long time to settle could be overtired.

HTH
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD