Author Topic: What would you tackle first? 4mo  (Read 1242 times)

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
What would you tackle first? 4mo
« on: August 08, 2016, 22:31:36 pm »
Hi there

My 4mo DS has had a pattern of waking for a feed usually around 2/2.30 am; and then again at 4.30 am (sometimes 5 am).    He is dreamfed at 9.45pm.   He is exclusively formula fed.

I decided to wait to tackle his night waking until he was over 4 months old (which is now is).  He has always had a high bottle consumption and is a big baby, and thanks to advice I'd gotten from some of the mamas on this board I have accepted his need for additional night feeding.

However the later feed (the 4.30 am ish one) he doesn't drink much at all.  My husband does this feed and doesn't always read the signs about whether or not to resettle and because he's been genuinely hungry with this feed up until a week or two ago, he just goes and makes up a bottle and feeds him like he's on autopilot.

Anyway I am steeling myself up for a hearty dose of PU/PD when my DS is over his current cold.  I believe the 4.30 am feed is definitely a habit and I could work to resettle him.  But I'd also like him to ease off that 2 am feed as well if we can, now we are moving to a 4 hour EASY during the day with bigger consumption for each bottle. 

So would you approach the night wakings either one by one (just focus on the 4.30 am one?) or would you try to PU/PD for both, in the hope that he would stretch that longest sleep stretch to over 6 hours (if you take into account the DF, it is only 4 hours at present).  eg: maybe if I did PU/PD for the 2 am one, he might keep sleeping a little later, eventually pushing out that 4.30 am wake up to his "wake up for the day" time of around 6.30 am,  and then the 2 am gets eliminated at the same time?  Does this even make sense? ;)

Would love your suggestions and ideas please :D

Mum to DD born April 2014 and DS born April 2016.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: What would you tackle first? 4mo
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 23:01:50 pm »
You could try and resettle the 230 waking and if he falls back asleep but wakes shortly after then you'll know he's hungry. But if he's already draining that bottle he may need it at that time. What time is his bed time? 930 isn't really a dream feed if he's going to bed  at say 730, so you could push that later too.  If he needs that 230 I would say definitely try to resettle the 430 instead. There isn't any pain or discomfort going on? Early mornings can be primetime for gas etc. from middle of the night feedings.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 23:44:15 pm »
Bedtime is 6.30pm... dream feed is usually around 9.45/10 pm, not 9.30.

Not in any pain or discomfort. 

Thanks!
Mum to DD born April 2014 and DS born April 2016.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 23:50:37 pm »
Then you can always try and resettle the 230 and see what happens.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**