Author Topic: Help with 3-2 transition, 6 month old  (Read 5308 times)

Offline Tabathagucci

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Help with 3-2 transition, 6 month old
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2016, 13:35:48 pm »
Yes you're right!  I just hate 3 nap days! LOL Will see how it goes today!

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2016, 22:10:12 pm »
Ok, same awake time, nap during window she seems to like.  40 minutes, no extension. I looked back through her nap history on our tracker and she's done 3h20m and even 2h30m before but the 2h30 seemed long at that time and I had a hard time trying to resettle her.  Maybe she's ready for a little more by now though.

Ok update, I managed to get her back to sleep but took 15 minuntes.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 22:25:29 pm by Tabathagucci »

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2016, 22:10:13 pm »
Ok I still haven't had the guts to put her down at the exact same time every day (for some reason I'm scared I'll get short naps but I get short naps anyway a sometimes)!  we've been going down around the same time most days though.  However, I'm traveling to Texas in a week (2 hours ahead) and not sure how to handle getting her adjusted to the time change.  Any tips?  Or is there an existing post on this maybe?  I'll only be there for 6 days.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2016, 22:48:55 pm »
I guess I still need advice on getting her on a scheduled nap too.  Do I just start putting her down at the same exact time every day no matter what time she wakes up?  And how many days do I do this before it either works or I give up?  I'm so worried she'll be overtired or undertired that I haven't done it yet!

Sorry if these seem like ridiculous questions... But thank you in advance for the help!

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2016, 17:13:42 pm »
Well, I did a set first nap but tbh DD was appearing tired around the same time each morning so it was led by her. Lots if LOs don't do set naps until 1yo. If your LO prefers A times stick with that..following tired cues is often the easiest way to go. If you really want a set nap then yes put LO down at same time every day..I'd give it at least a week, but it sounds like your gut feeling is that it's not for you at the moment

Re travel..no personal experience, sorry..maybe try a a separate thread in General Sleep as I've seen people asking about adjusting for travel there.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2016, 17:42:22 pm »
Thank you!

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2016, 17:10:56 pm »
I'm back!  LO is 8 months now.  Things have been fairly smooth but wondering if we need to tweak things a little with bed time.  Would like a slightly later bed time and wake up in the am, especially as weak have daylight savings time change coming up next month.  Here is our EASY, which can shift 1/2 hour either way depending on wake up:
Wake 6:30
E 6:45
A
S 9:45-11 (sometimes 11:15)
E 11:15
A
S 2:25-3:55 (sometimes she sleeps longer, but I usually wake her by 4)
E 4
A
S 7 (wakes between 2-4 am for nursing and back to sleep)

In the last week I've put her down later at bed time because of family activities and she seems to have slept better (sometimes she wakes and need paci replugged but these two nights she slept right through) and woken for her night nursing later but wakes about the same time in the am.  She's very dependent on routine and tends to get OT if she's put down past a certain time for her nap so I've had to use a combo of A times and actual time for her naps.  Wondering if she's just used to going to bed between 6:30 and 7 so she's acting tired but really needs to be put down later and if I do put her down later consistently every night if she'll adjust her wake up after a few days?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 17:12:48 pm by Tabathagucci »

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2016, 14:51:06 pm »
That looks like a good routine for an 8mo. I know a later Wu would be nice but a BT around 7 & Wu around 6-7amis actually really typical & trying to change it when LO isn't ready can cause problems with worse night sleep rather than better.

There's a link here on daylight savings if you're worried about that:
How to Adjust to Daylight Savings

"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2016, 18:40:34 pm »
Ok thank you!   One more question, if I put her down  after 3 PM she just doesn't nap on the matter what. Is it weird to wake her up by  certain time during sure she has a good afternoon nap?

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2016, 18:44:03 pm »
Ok thank you!   One more question, if I put her down  after 3 PM she just doesn't nap on the matter what. Is it weird to wake her up by  certain time during sure she has a good afternoon nap?

No, not weird at all. Lots of people cap the first nap to maintain the second one. It's often the start of the 2-1.... In which case it might be time to start a new thread!
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2016, 23:01:31 pm »
Oh my!  She's only 8 months but I seem to remember having to do the same with my son 4 years ago.  I just had to tweak A times by a few minutes to get longer naps but hoping we'll stay put for a little while now! 
Thank you!

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2016, 14:04:35 pm »
WRT daylight savings, if I put my daughter down for her first nap anytime after 10:10, second nap 3 and bed time 7, she sleeps 35 mins for her nap and wakes up before 6 in the am.  So daylight savings is making me nervous!  In this situation, do you have an opinion as to whether it's best just to get it all over with and out her to bed an hour later or try to adjust slowly?

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2016, 19:37:38 pm »
Different people do different things. I've always just done it all at once as I've never been organised enough to do it gradually. I find it's a long day the first day with EW & tired grumpy baby (& parents) but because you shift everything they quite quickly adapt.

I try to keep in a dark room until "normal" wake time & get meals, naps and BT as close as possible to new normal time. It sometimes means doing stuff a little early and some grumpiness but I found it settled after a day or 2.

I'm dreading it too as my DD likes a 5am wake up, the thought of 4am is not nice!
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2016, 00:19:30 am »
4 AM does not sound fun! Hopefully it will be a fairly easy transition for both of us!

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2016, 22:07:14 pm »
Ok I'm hoping this is just developmental because according to the wonder weeks app, we're right in the middle of a leap, but naps have completely fallen apart.  I lengthened both A times by 5 mins and started getting better naps but now that's not working anymore and she's waking up at odd times. Used to be if she needed more A time she would wake at 40 mins.  Now she's waking at 45, 32, 30, 37, 50... And she's waking more at night as well.  She might be teething but I can see anything coming through.  Do they usually have sleep issues with every leap???