Author Topic: Almost 6 weeks old shush pat keep waking  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Avenir_ls

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 11, 2016, 20:22:54 pm »
Hi,
My almost 6wo (will be 6 weeks tomorrow) has been having trouble staying asleep unless being held. She moves a lot during light sleep and keeps waking herself up. I have just started shush patting her for naps but end up doing shush pat for the entire nap (also she only sleeps 45 min and can't pat her back to sleep again!!). I have to hold her after the 45 min (when shush pat fails) to extend the nap...

I am wondering if it's a developmental thing that she keeps waking herself and maybe it's still early to start using shush-pat. I worked on this for almost a week and don't see any improvements, i.e. taking 20 min to get her to sleep but waking several times until the 45 min mark and starts fighting with her entire body and hardly going back to sleep unless I hold her. I have been almost patting every time she wakes & cry.

She's on EASY but since her nap is not too long, we don't really have a schedule. I usually keep the wake time within 1hr 15min. She's swaddled and room is really dark. We shut the curtain, turn on white noise and sit for a bit before go to bed.

Please anyone can advise if it's feasible to address the waking up because I am about to give up and go back to holding her for nap.

Thanks a lot!!!

Offline lolsyb1982

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
Re: Almost 6 weeks old shush pat keep waking
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 10:05:00 am »
Hi there!

Waking at the 45 min mark is definitely developmental and at this age they just can't transition between sleep cycles themselves and need lots of help.

At such a young age you could try shush pat for maybe one nap a day just to start some good habits but I would just do what's necessary for the rest so that she's well rested and doesn't get OT.
A sling is great if you have one. Babies love to be worn and gives you free hands to get on with things then.
Make the most of those early weeks and baby cuddles  :)
Lauren

Offline Avenir_ls

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 11:08:37 am »
Hi lolsyb1982,

Thanks a lot for your advice! It's great to know it's common at this age and I am not doing anything wrong with LO. I will keep doing shush-pat at the beginning of the nap (s) and will do whatever works to extend nap and avoid OT.

When would be a good time to fully implement shush-pat for all naps and bedtime? She's still nursing or holding to sleep at bedtime because she couldn't put herself to sleep when we tried and ended up fussing forever and being OT... lol

Offline lolsyb1982

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 17:47:16 pm »
Sorry for my late reply!

I would say at about 10+ weeks they usually start to do well with shh pat.

I will warn you that the waking at 45 mins can go on for sometime (around 6mo for some) so be prepared for a lot of shh pat!
Lauren

Offline Avenir_ls

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 17:16:27 pm »
Ughhh... that can be frustrating... lol

If shush-pat doesn't work for nap extension, can I hold her to get more sleep? Would that ruin the training? I can't imagine how to get through the day with only 45 min naps...

Thanks again!

Offline lolsyb1982

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 17:43:25 pm »
Yes it can take up an awful lot of time which is why I think for now and the age she is it wouldn't cause any problems as bad habits aren't formed until the 3/4 month mark.

Once you start working properly on independent sleep and being consistent so that LO knows what to expect you would use shh pat for all naps and BT, including re-settling.

Lauren