Author Topic: 4 weeks old trying to start routine  (Read 7631 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2016, 02:40:02 am »
Good to know thank you. Naps have been short lately even in the swing 40 mins today ugh. Naps are pretty non existent these days. Still can't figure out how a newborn can not nap?!!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 4 weeks old trying to start routine
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2016, 16:53:51 pm »
I don't want to focus too much on A times because I think at this young age it's pretty hard to get a steady routine anyway but what sort of time are you doing now and how old is LO now?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2016, 17:05:39 pm »
He's 6 weeks and you are right he's too young to have a steady routine. We were doing around 1.5 hours A time but sometimes he's not falling asleep until close to the next feed or he's falling asleep at 1 hour 15 mins but for 30 mins and he's tired by the next feed and not eating well. He really only naps in the swing and that used to be easier now it's even taking him longer to fall asleep there or he's in and out and not a steady good nap. He doesn't sleep in the car just cried the whole ride and the stroller doesn't work for us because we don't have sidewalks on a busy road. The baby sling works sonetimes if I don't need to shower or cook. And I find bedtime to be tough when it's a day where he didn't nap well. His first stretch of sleep at night has been good about 6 hours. But that's after s really cranky crying baby all afternoon up to then "his witching hour" I suppose because he's exhausted. I'm still tying for naps in his bassinet or crib but he will fall asleep or stay there for about get mins and wake crying. He seems to not like being left alone. Where as the swing if he wakes I'm there and he just falls back.

Offline creations

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2016, 18:20:09 pm »
Gosh, pretty long on the A times. Have you tried just getting him down for a nap at 1hr?

I wonder if you are able to bring a bassinet into the family room where you are likely to spend most of the nap time (even if you are a bit in and out)?  It is safer to have LO sleep in the same room you are in and I have read before that LO knows if you are there even if they are asleep, I read something about the breathing and heart rate being in tune with Mummy's, no idea if there is any factual evidence for this though.  I did experience a similar sort of thing with my DS, he was a few months older though but we were struggling with short naps and one of the things I did in the end was stay in the room with him (I actually left him to go to sleep as he self settled easily at that time but not with me in the room, so I left the room for a few mins then went back in and lay on a bed by his baby hammock), it marked the end of our short naps and we both slept 2hrs. I will never know if it was coincidence of course.
Could you try a bassinet in the family room?  You could shush/pat or rock slightly with a firm hand over the transition as needed perhaps?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2016, 00:33:12 am »
You know I did try that! I have an extra bassinet that I keep in the family room and I do stay right in that area but he does the same thing where he sleeps for ten mins then wakes. He's not responding to the shh pat yet but as soon as I pick him up he's out. I guess I can try to put him down earlier to see. He seems to sleep well by he third nap around 1-3 today then went down easy for nap at 5-6 I kind of stirred him as to protect bedtime. I'll see what tomorrow brings. Tonight at bedtime I fed him he fell asleep I put him down 5 mins later he was crying/whining went back up and did this 4 times before he finally passed out over an hour past when we started. I wonder if it's just the same thing knowing I'm not in the room.

Offline creations

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2016, 07:09:28 am »
He's not responding to the shh pat yet but as soon as I pick him up he's out.
When you do this, pick him up, do you elevate him to your shoulder or are you keeping him in a laying down position?  Is it the picking up or the body position that gets him back off?
I'm wondering if you can lift him only a little, few cm off the mattress, for a brief PU, then when you lower your hands initially keep them under him so he still feels you.  It might help towards learning to sleep on his mattress where he feels the weight of his own body.
also is the bassinet elevated at the head end to make him a little more upright in case he has any gas disturbance?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2016, 10:26:05 am »
 I have done that but I'll give it another try !

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2016, 12:51:04 pm »
This morning I did put him down in swing  after being awake for only one hour and he still asleep almost 2 hours later! Now my question is will he be ready for another nap one hour after he wakes such a long nap

Offline creations

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2016, 18:06:43 pm »
Well that was a nice morning nap :)
I hope you managed to at least get yourself a cuppa :)

What did you do the rest of the day? I would have gone for another nap 1hr later.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2016, 23:32:42 pm »
Well the next nap wasn't successful but he did sleep from 230-4 and then no nap again until bedtime. A newborn that does two naps a day?!

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2016, 00:47:54 am »
Another night of having to go back in to settle for 2 hours now. I can't figure this out. It's exhausting. His last nap was from like 2-4. Couldn't get a late afternoon nap as usual. Did feed a bit early at 630 and to bed. But it's not 845 and he's still calling me. Hell sleep for 10-20 mins and then is moving around a lot trying to get out of the swaddle. He's been up straight now for almost 5 hrs!!

Offline creations

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2016, 08:17:53 am »
Yes those evening naps are hard.  Are you trying to get him down at the 1hr mark for every nap?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2016, 10:34:35 am »
Is he just ot by "bedtime" is that why it's so difficult to get him to sleep? The 1 hr mark doesn't work out at times because if he only did a short nap and he's ready to eat again or I found after s good nap 1.5/2 hours he want going down easy after 1 hr

Offline creations

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2016, 18:27:53 pm »
Well if he is having such long A times before BT then I would be surprised if he is not OT but the only way to try to avoid that is to nap him earlier which you are trying to do.  It really seems he needs the shorter A times and gets a more restful nap from 1hr rather than letting it go over.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2016, 21:07:03 pm »
 So if he wakes in the morning at 6:30 and goes down for a nap at 7:30 until 830 he will eat again at 9:30  so by then he's already been up for one hour.   That's why I can't quite figure that out. 
 I guess I'll do bedtime tonight after his 6 o'clock feeding which is fine but that's his longest stretch of sleep so the later to bed the better