Author Topic: 13 week old 20-40 min naps making EASY difficult  (Read 5130 times)

Offline FPT23

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
Re: 13 week old 20-40 min naps making EASY difficult
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 02:40:42 am »
Hello! Thought I'd jump on here and add some extra help and support! :)

For starters I think your doing a pretty good job. Sounds like your quote knowledgable of your LOs needs and are trying your best to get her well rested and happy.

I just recently went through those first few months and quite honestly, no two days were the same. I started to accept short naps as part of it. It really can just be developmental. As A time increases, she will tire more and along come the long naps. I accepted that longer naps come closer and more consistently around the start of 5 months and as early as the end of the 4mths. Plus, come her 4mth regression and all this will be out the window again once she starts napping long, kwim? ;)

I have to agree with Lindsay on the A times... But sometimes they are so hard to crack ::) ....!! I know your first was possibly doing longer naps but remember, no two babies are the same ;) ...DS1 didn't take long naps until 6 mths and sleep all night until 8-9 mths! ...DS2 sleeps long naps since the 4mth mark (once the regression subsided...but it was quite a bit of stress HAHA!) and all night since maybe 5 months... And even then he still wakes sometimes... And once in awhile hits me with he short naps.

As Lindsey said above, if you got a long nap off of 1.20 A time, I would certainly consider sticking with that for now. Your on top of it though really! i hope your able to get some good naps soon! Looks like your getting there little by little! I know how rough those first few weeks can be ESPECIALLY with another toddler around. I was there just a few weeks ago and now, I can't remember them anymore! Time flies!

Many hugs and I would continue tweaking those A times until you nail it... Before it changed again ;)

Xo!!!
Fabi

Offline Clairehv

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mum to 2 girls. DD1 Sept 2012, DD2 May 2016
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 07:39:36 am »
Thanks both, yes I certainly remember the pain of establishing the naps with DD1.

I am grateful that DD2 is so settled at night as we have total regression with dd1 but that is another post!

Am going to stick with the 1.20-1.30 A time and first nap of day in the cot for the next two days when I only have her at home and see how it goes

Oh I must have blanked the 4 month regression out of my mind. What tends to happen?
X
Claire

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 10:58:37 am »
Sounds great!  I agree try to stick with 1.20-1.5hr as it seems to be getting the best results.

4 month regression mainly affected our nights, naps were either the same or improved.  It's basically just a huge developmental leap and their sleep goes wonky.  I think it maybe lasted around 2 weeks for us.  It is also about the time when you are moving to 4hr EASY so things just tend to be a mess all around.  We'll save that for another day though! One thing at a time lol :).

Offline FPT23

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 15:32:00 pm »
Hehe it's a ways away but as Libdsay said, one thing at a time ;)

With us, it was probably the same thing as Lindsay said. Our naps got a bit weird ONLY because he was ready to be unswaddled and that was a challenge for us haha! But it lasted a good two weeks as well-- more or less. Naps improved at 4mths for us too twds the end. His night sleep changed as he began to wake again around midnight/1am and 4/5am. Before he had only been waking one time around 3/4am... But I treated it as a NF since there's a growth spurt anyway around that time... And it went away on its own with no help on my end. My biggest issue was the swaddle haha! And paci back then too! Lol ;)

What happens is their sleep changes. It's developmental. They also begin the rolling phase which can disturb sleep as well. It goes by so quickly and for many moms, it's not bad at all.

Sounds like a good plan with those A times. You know, I always tried my best to get the morning nap in his crib. For suuuure. The first nap is restorative and I felt it set the stage for the naps to follow. Def try that and be consistent! Let us know how it goes!

Hang in there mama your doing great :) naps are always a pain! I never thought of say this but, I can't wait till my LO is at one nap! Haha ;)
Fabi

Offline Clairehv

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 01:52:32 am »
Hi
So A will be 15 weeks on Monday, we are seeing no improvement in the naps, just cannot get her over the 40 min cycle and the OT now seems to be impacting her but am just trying to enforce longer naps when I can get out with pram,
In the pram she will wake after 40 mins then be awake for 20-30mins before going back to sleep for a while. Wakes up even if prAm moving and always within minutes if prAm stopped

In cot, wakes up after 40 mins or eArlier, can take up to 30 mins to resettle if I have the time to do that (i.e. no dd1) but then may only do another 10-20 mins.

Not sure how I will stretch the a time and E time to 4 hours.

X
Claire

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 07:20:41 am »
Oh I must have blanked the 4 month regression out of my mind. What tends to happen?
Often during the 4 month regression people see short naps even when LO has previously taken good long naps.  Mine was an independent sleeper with long naps but at 3.5 months the regression hit, I knew nothing about it back then of course so the whole thing was a crazy exhausting time with 4 or 5 naps per day of 40 min length.  The regression is often around 2 months with naps improving at 6 months old.  For us it was 5.5 months when the nap improved again.

One thing I felt towards the end of our regression and have since felt whilst supporting on the boards is that if the A time is too short there is not much chance of getting the longer nap.  If I had my time again I'd increase the A earlier, LO appears tired but with short A times and short naps they continue to be tired, with a longer A there is more chance of a better nap (easier to resettle if you do still need to) and the longer nap helps overall - meaning they actually get better sleep due to longer A time.  Many of us (me included) delay on increasing the A time for fear of OT but the result is UT naps and LO still gets OT across the day anyway.

I haven't read through your whole thread, but this might be something you want to think about. Increasing the A.

Offline Clairehv

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2016, 08:55:25 am »
Hi
We are regularly on a 1.5 hr A time and maybe up to 1.45hr if she is then taking a while to settle.

So today (Saturday)
WU 7am
E 7.30
S into cot at 8.30am self settled literally within a minute , woke 9.25 crying unhappy. Tried shhh pat in cot then actually am doing shhh pat in arms so she is asleep 9.45-

Just wanted to try and get a bit more sleep to push her next nap start time to around 11.30am or our day just gets shorter and shorter

And she is my last baby so just enjoying my baby cuddle time (reframe reframe ) dd1 gone swimming with daddy.

So we have never had good naps so am dreading them being even worse through the regression.

Do you think I should push the A time to 1hr 40 mins regularly ? X
Claire

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2016, 11:08:01 am »
You could certainly try it, looks like that so was about 55mins, which honestly is a bit odd...I'm not quite sure what that means.  She woke crying/unhappy so I'm wondering if it is OT? How are her nights?  If she is self settling quickly and easily then I don't necessarily think the A time is wrong it may just take some time for her to sleep full 2 complete cycles.  It does sound like lots of improvements though even though the day is kind of pear shaped.

Offline Clairehv

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 05:26:47 am »
Hi
I am still concerned how to get over this 40 min nap cycle.
Dd2 is 15 weeks now and as we approach 4 months I know we look to move to 4 hourly feeds. In honesty she may be ready for 3.5 hrs as some feeds she only does 2oz.

Some of signs to increase the E time are short naps however I haven't yet managed to establish the 1.5-2hrs naps the book details.

The last few days as it has been the  bank holiday weekend we have been out and about but I have tried to keep to her routine and encourage longer naps
O k have to break off as she has woken again x
Claire

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2016, 11:54:26 am »
Do you think you may need a wee A push? This stage was sooo awkward for us, even 5mins made a difference, I really had to watch the clock.  You are probably right in that you are approaching at least a 3.5hr EASY, why don't you try a 1.40hr A time and see what happens? We didn't start getting past the 40min naps until we were consistently at a 2hr A time.

Offline Clairehv

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2016, 21:02:06 pm »
Hi,  ;)
Thanks Lindsay, I will push her first A time to 1hrs 40 and see how that goes.

We had our best nap in the cot ever this morning. A time was 1hr 35, settled quickly, on her back! No less. And we got a 1 hour 20 min nap, the rest of the day wasn't great however but I will take any small wins

Will see how the next couple of days go if I up the A time. X x
Claire

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016, 23:30:00 pm »
Ohhh fantastic!  Ya know, a 1.20hr nap is usually UT so I bet if you push to 1.40hr A time you may get a solid 1.5hr nap.  Once that first one is good and consistent the rest tend to follow...eventually!

Offline Clairehv

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 02:53:20 am »
Urgh! Crap nap day today.
Not sure why

WU 6.50am
E : 60ml ...... (think night bottle is affecting day milk now) (had 180ml at 3am)
S: 8.30am, resettle at 8.50am, s - 8.55-9.45am
E 10 am 120ml
S: 11.30am-12.10pm in pram. Kept walking until 12.50, did not drop off
E 1pm, 120ml
S: OT whinging at 1.40 s 2pm-2.30 in pram, kept walking fell back asleep 3.20-4pm
E 4.10 90ml

Did not have a catnap despite walking.
Bath 5.50pm
6.15 only 100ml asleep 6.30pm

Woke 10pm (has never woken at this time since wk2 150ml
Woke 3am tried to resettle with dummy for 10 mins then gave bottle. 140ml
(Has not had two night bottles since week 6/7)

Maybe a new post about nights as I am not sure if day naps are affecting the night's. Or if the night feed is now affecting the day milk

I am at loss on the naps really. If she won't sleep when I can get out with the pram then feel a bit hopeless about succeeding with her in the cot
She will be 16 weeks on Monday and I had thought I would/ be getting a longer nap to start to move to 3.5 hrs EASY

X
Claire

Offline needasleepingangel

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 04:17:59 am »
Hi Claire, wanted to post a reply earlier but life has been so hard. MY DD has had so many NW and I feel so exhausted. But we are doing better on naps. Why can't I have both??

What we do to get a long nap is to sleep nearby and pat immediately to prevent completely waking up. Her crib is next to my bed. I pat and shh her to sleep, with her side lying (I put my nursing pillow behind her back, when she is asleep, I take it away, and she will lie on her back then), and I also lie down with arms around her, and my leg gives some gentle pressure on her legs (so awkward to find a comfortable pose at the beginning). When she is asleep, I take my leg and arms back, and I just took a nap as well, as I am so sleep deprived at night. Then around 45min, at her first stir, I just go back immediately and pat+shh her. sometimes it was very smooth, but more often she would wake a few times before she is completely asleep again. From my observation, if she is asleep after the first 45min, she usually sleep longer than 45min.

Offline Clairehv

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 20:17:09 pm »
Hi
Yes it is definitely about getting over the 40mins, am sure it is developmental and will happen in time.
I will persevere x
Claire