Author Topic: 16 month old- 2/1 transition help....  (Read 844 times)

Offline eogan0622

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 17, 2016, 14:18:43 pm »
Hi BW Moms and Moderators,

Posting here for the first time in awhile as we've had a good run with sleep etc for the past 6 months or so!  My LO is 16 months old and has been sleeping well and pretty consistently (occasional NW but very very infrequent) for about 6 months- it's been great.  I know age wise, we're getting ready for that 2/1 nap transition and we have slowly slowly been transitioning for about 4 months - gradually cutting back that first nap so that she will take the 2nd nap- and this has seemed to be working for some time.  In general, her schedule is:

630/7: WU
10-1030: 1st nap (I know it's a little early in terms of A time but she goes down easy and I cap it at 30-40 mins)
230-4: 2nd nap (usually she wakes up on her own for this, but otherwise I wake her by 4)
730/745: BT (start BT routine around 7 includes bath, bottle, etc)

We have tried a couple days of 1 nap here and there- on days when she has woken up a little later, like 730 or beyond...and she did OK on these days- napped 1130-130 and BT of 630...but seemed to need quite a bit of time to "catch up" from 1 nap days...

Recently, she has been waking up earlier than usual, around 6/615 after a 745 bedtime...so she isn't even getting 11 hrs at night...which makes the idea of 1 nap so much more of a stretch seeing how tired she is by 9/930!  I'm wondering how to handle these EW....I wouldn't mind if she woke up this time (as I usually am up anyways) if she slept 11-12 hrs at night...

She is an independent sleeper for naps and BT.  She is mostly always a happy girl when she's awake and gives very few signs when she is OT.  Definitely more of a "by the clock" routine for us, since she acts like she could power through even when she's super tired!

Any tips?  Should I just keep going as we're going?  Nervous to mess with something if it isn't broken but wondering if she's getting enough sleep overall?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Re: 16 month old- 2/1 transition help....
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 15:41:23 pm »
Have you seen our FAQ re nap transition?
From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

In general with two full naps, I would try either to push the first one later and cap the second one so not to mess with BT. Or you can start capping first nap so second one will be earlier and she will be able to catch up sleep at night.
~Marta