Author Topic: 6 months old furious when put down  (Read 3428 times)

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 17, 2016, 17:01:21 pm »
I mamas! I need help figuring out why my 6 months gets so mad when we put her down on her back or tummy. She will either roll to tummy or cry and scream until we pick her up. I try to calm her without picking her but she just gets more worked up. She also does this when I leave her "alone" in her exerciser or playmat.

She can sit unsupported and roll from back to tummy.She loves to be held and carried but I try not to. Im afraid she's not getting enough tummy time but no matter how HARD I try to entertain her she just screams like a pig. Not funny for anyone.

I can't manage to do anything in the house!! Today I ended up putting her in front of the tv in order to vacuum and clean the floor. That's when I realized : hey! We've got a problem!!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: 6 months old furious when put down
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 02:19:56 am »
Is she happy to sit and watch or does she really just want to be held all day?  Is there anything she will do?  Mine would like to look out the windows.  If you engage with her while you're not holding her, is she happy or does she just cry if you're not holding her no matter what?

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 23:42:07 pm »
If I put her down in a sitting position with toys she's usually fine. But if it's on her back or tummy, watch out! I'm worried about leaving her sitting all the time (she loves it and can sit unsupported since at least 2 weeks) because she's not rolling both ways yet and my ped seemed to be a bit concerned (and so am I).

I try not to worry too much as she's a heavy baby and she's pretty strong but rolling from tummy to back seems to be an unachievable goal.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 01:26:31 am »
She sounds so much like my first and third kiddos.  I had to force tummy time with both of them as they were so much happier to sit and look at the world around them instead of being on their tummies or backs.  If she's happy to sit, then I'd leave her sitting there while you do other things so you're not constantly entertaining her -- but it does sound like you probably need to force the tummy time issue -- not that it seem like there's a problem, but just because if you don't, there may eventually be one, if that makes sense.  So, while she's on her tummy/back, I would probably stay close by and entertain her - get down on the floor and play with her so she has the increased tummy time.  If she hates it that much, you could always do it in smaller bits a bunch of times a day.  I'm sure that once she figures out she can get places and reach things while she's on her tummy, she'll be happier with it. 

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 14:47:26 pm »
I found a link on a physio website that talked about doing tummy time on a yoga ball, if baby hates it on the floor.

Otherwise, being in a carrier develops the same trunk control as tummy time. Maybe that's a good option for her?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 00:07:16 am »
really?? Does the moby wrap counts as the carrier? Yes when she's sitting up she's happy. (at least!!)
She also cut her first two teeth this morning so maybe her extra clinginess is due to that  ::)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 07:20:53 am »
Yes, the wrap will count. Teeth would explain the clinginess, too!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015