Author Topic: 10 month old napping less than 30 min.  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Clare Austin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 19, 2016, 22:26:14 pm »
My lo can't seem to nap longer than 30 min and our schedule is really thrown off by it. Here's what a typical day looks like:
6:30 wake, nurse
7:30 breakfast
10:30 nap
11 wake
12 lunch
2:30 nap
3 wake
3:30 snack
5 nurse, often falls asleep at breast for 15 min 🙁
6:30 dinner
7:30-8 bed

She started waking once during the night hungry. I was thinking it may be a growth spurt and am considering bringing back the DF.
Any advice is much appreciated.

Offline N_Mom_S

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 10 month old napping less than 30 min.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 09:05:36 am »
It does look bad... hang in there!!

While you wait for advice from the experts here, could he/she be overtired? I remember reading here that 30min naps are OT and 40-45 UT. Has he/she always been OK with 10 1/2 hours of night sleep?

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 12:25:49 pm »
I agree that there is probably some OT there...2 half hour naps and a 10.5 hr night isn't a lot of sleep for a 10 mo.

Has she always been a short napper?

If not what was her routine like before the short naps started and did anything change which seemed to start the shorter naps?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Clare Austin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 22:35:42 pm »
She has always slept about 2 hours less than the average baby at her age. We recently returned from a 2 month long trip overseas. Before that she was taking 3 45min naps during the day and sleeping the same amount at night. While overseas she would take 2 1-1.5 hour naps during the day, go to bed around 8, and wake up around 7. Since we got back she's been on the 30min nap routine. We are about to move her crib into her own room, which is darker. We're hoping that will help.

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 04:45:58 am »
The routine when you were overseas sounds more typical for her age, I wonder what was different there?...did you put her down for naps at the same times?

Both of my kids have been lower sleep needs (LSN) & needed less sleep than average but at this age, both still had around 2 hrs day sleep - usually as 1 short nap and 1 long one- and an 11hr night.

I'd play around with the timing of the first nap to try for a longer nap then..maybe try it at 10?
Or...If you can only get a 30 min morning nap 10.30-11, I'd maybe try starting 2nd  nap around 2 & see if you get a longer one.

She shouldn't need that CN when having her evening feed at this age,& it might be contributing to her going to bed later and sleeping a shorter night.  It suggests to me that she needs at least one longer nap in her day.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 04:48:53 am by Scottishmummy »
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Clare Austin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 03:54:01 am »
I think we were putting her down closer to 9 for her am nap, and closer to 2 for the pm. She was also sleeping in a really dark room. Today I tried putting her down at 9:30 and 1:30 and she slept for 45 min each nap. Thank you for the advice. I'll try putting her down earlier and see if that works.