Author Topic: Oh help - don't remember it being so hard  (Read 10092 times)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Re: Oh help - don't remember it being so hard
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2016, 20:21:20 pm »
Dropping off some hugs xxx

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2016, 04:08:35 am »
Oh thanks, hugs greatfully recieved. We are definitily getting there and heading in the right direction. Nights are better as getting two chunks of sleep at the beginning of the night where he will sleep in the Moses so that is great. He can be pretty restless from 4/5am onwards and I find it hard to get him back into basket. He still is not great at latching on and this is a bit tricky as it can cause lots of fuss during night feeds. We went for a day out today which was really lovely for the other two and LO was very good although the BF in public quite tricky when he's not great at latching. I have to say I'm not find BF s pleasurable experience as I did with DD as she was so good at latching it was really quite s nice experience. I am very sore now and I'm not sure how long I will be able to BF but will feel terrible if I stop too soon!! Hope all is well with you and family x

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2016, 05:11:53 am »
Quick question as I'm up feeding. LO has a feed at 4am, really good feed from both sides. By the time I made sure she was really asleep it was 5am so put him in basket and all was fine. He then wakes at 545am seems really windy as squirming a lot and lots of farting!! I did try and settle by laying him on my chest to wind and even tried paci to settle. Eventually offered BF which he is taking but not sure it was s true hunger thing or he's just doing it to try and go back to sleep although he is definitely feeding. Do you think waking after 45mins could have really been hunger? I suppose it was nearly two hours from the start of the last feed. He is always unsettled at this time!??

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2016, 10:49:50 am »
Wow a day trip!! You are awesome. Don't under estimate how awesome that is when you're BFing. We had the same latch issues and I didn't attempt feeding in public for ages!! Honestly I remember thinking oh this is not easy or enjoyable and then just one day it felt amazing again and how I remembered it with the other two. Is he smaller than your DD?  My DD3 was a full pound lighter than the others and had a wee tiny mouth and just found latching difficult until she was a little bigger. I did use nipple shields for a while to help as my nipples were very cut and I had thrush and mastitis which was awful.

Super you're getting two good stretches at night now. I'd say in those early hours he may well just be hungry after going longer between feeds and I do think gas is at play. I know even at 4 months we get that 5/5.30 unsettled was due to wind. It's really annoying!

Hugs and love. You are doing so well xxx

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2016, 11:15:00 am »
Yes I felt a such of accomplishment getting out for the day. Maybe I should preserve longer with the BF. My main concern is doing it in public as I have activities nearly every day after school for the kids and often have to sit in a small waiting room whilst entertaining the other child so adding a BF to this feels me with dread. Do you think I could successfully do one or two bottles of formula a day then BF for the rest and at night? Maybe you are right about the 5am thing and maybe he just wants a bit of cluster feeding as he slept two long stretches so I will continue to offer BF at these times. He was virtually same weight as dd but as he had the tongue tie he really didn't feed much at all for 48 hours and just slept, he therefore lost more weight 9.8%. He's now putting it back on but not yet back to birth weight. Sounds like you did really well to persevere through mastitis.

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2016, 12:44:05 pm »
You will be so fed up with my constant questions and can't believe I'm being so anxious about it all!! Just one quick question, when should I start thinking about EASY? I'm assuming to early at 9 days as I am really not watching the clock or his A time or anything, often he feeds to sleep and other times ms tats awake. I'm hoping this is ok at this stage and don't need to be waking or anything?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2016, 14:12:35 pm »
It took three weeks to get back to birth weight here and my lovely MWs werent concerned so don't worry too much about that.

Honestly I did a mix of bottles of expressed milk initially and I just got fed up with the faff of bottles that I just fed myself as soon as I able.  I get what you're saying about activities etc and I guess only you know what will work for you guys. We've been on summer holidays and start back next wednesday to school and activities. UGH.

What I did in May/June was feed a bit early sometimes if we were going to an activity. I tended to read to my DD2 while we were waiting or do her homework. My DD3 has been a fairly efficient feeder so finishes
Eating pretty quickly. I say see how you go hun. Don't rule anything out but see how you go. I always found things settled at 3/4 weeks and thjngs just got easier all round.

With EASY I think it's still early days. I fed to sleep a lot in those early weeks and tried to get one nap where she'd go to sleep without it. I'll be honest and say I've found it really impossible to get a predictable EASY going with the bigger ones being off school as they wake her being noisy or we have been out so we do deal with a lot of OT in the evenings here. I've found it hard balancing everyone's needs YK?

You can never ask too many questions. Support is so important in these early weeks. I've two lovely BW friends and weve a what's app group and they seriously kept me sane listening to me saying I couldn't see a way through and them encouraging. So I'm happy to support you xxxx

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2016, 17:48:30 pm »
Thank you so much. I will not worry too much about routine at the moment and will focus on taking each day at a time. I won't rule anything out as maybe the BF will get easier and I find I can fit in around kids activities. I just feel do daft as I just don't feel myself, feel almost panicky all the time I find it hard to even eat sometimes. I just want to feel my normal self and start enjoying my gorgeous family.

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2016, 18:46:42 pm »
I would absolutely feed on demand in this early age, this will help to establish a good supply too. have you seen a Lactation consultant at all? these latch issues and pulling off the breast could be due to tongue tie, worse checking it out I think. hope things will get better soon! its so hard...xx
Franziska

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2016, 23:03:25 pm »
Sounds like you're feeling a bit overwhelmed lovely and mAybe a bit anxious?  I was definitely not myself the first few weeks after having DD3 and it took a while to find a new normal. I was so worried about DH going back to work and me having to do school runs and I normally take everything like that in my stride. I do think the lack of sleep made me feel bad as well as the hormones settling and there is a big pressure on yourself when you're BFing. I do think it's normal xxx

Just try and get chunks of sleep when you can. Mine are back to school next week and I have great plans to nap with the baby when they are!

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2016, 04:35:08 am »
Yes you are right that I am feeling slightly overwhelmed and anxious and hopefully this will pass soon. My two go back to school next Thursday so I need to make the most of nap times too. X

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2016, 07:55:41 am »
Hugs and love xxx

Mine were off on Easter holidays when DD3 was born and the first week was a bit mental. Oncr back at school it was easier to rest and concentrate on the baby. Give yourself permission to do bare minimum which for us mummies is still a lot!

How'd your lovely baby boy do last night? Xx

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2016, 18:04:16 pm »
I feel like a bit of a black cloud has lifted today. Feel in much better spirits and not that anxious feeling. He had a great night. He was really unsettled from about 9pm to 1130pm but my OH was dealing with him as he had expressed bottle on hand. He had the bottle at 1130pm but not much of it but slept until 530am, couldn't believe it. He then fed every hour as he must have been very hungry. Today he seems to be feeding constantly, every 1-2 hours which is fine if it stocks him up for bed. I think that I have started to relax and not worry about timings and have just gone with his hunger cues even if it's every hour. I did wander if it was a comfort feed but I can see him gulping each time and he seems to have a good feed each time. I'm hoping that I can start slump thinking about a bedtime routine when kids go back to school as I'm going to have to get a feed in before school each morning. I'm sure I will need some guidance to help get into a bedtime routine. At the moment after he's has a feed around 630pm he stays downstairs in basket until OH brings him up after a late feed. So I guess eventually we would out him upstairs at 630pm and then treat anything else as a night feed?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2016, 21:41:41 pm »
I'm delighted for you xxxx

I've been keeping DD3 down until DF for a good while and only just started putting her up a while back at normal bedtime.

What time do you need to be up at to get ready for school? 

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2016, 01:44:12 am »
Usually I have to get the kids out of bed by 730am at the latest. We will need to leave the house at 815am so really need kids up by 7am so need to work around that really and obviously need to get a feed in whilst kids get dressed or eat breakfast?

Tonight so far. LO went to sleep after a feed at 630pm, slept until 11pm, had bottle from OH and he woke at 2am so I'm feeding him now. Fingers crossed for the rest of this night!!!