Author Topic: Oh help - don't remember it being so hard  (Read 10089 times)

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: Oh help - don't remember it being so hard
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2016, 05:10:47 am »
Rest of the night a disaster! I guess he doesn't yet know that most of his sleep needs to be done at night? I thought he sided the night and day thing but maybe he's only settled into having one king chunk at night? So he did 630- 11pm which is good but wish it had been later like the other night. Should I have woken him at sat 730pm to encourage the longer sleep later? I've always not wanted to wake s sleeping baby and think they find a way of settling into s routine but wander if I should be making his bedtime much later at the moment? So he woke at 11pm had bottle went to sleep until 2am. I then fed him
at 2am and then all went horribly wrong. He fed for almost an hour which I thought some was comfort but could still hear some gulps. I tried to put down but seemed awake and not happy to be put down. So offered other side in desperate attempt to get him to sleep. Again he seemed awake. After I thought he'd finished i tried to out down. Eventually settled him in arms with paci which fell out after a few mins and eventually got him back into basket. By now it was 445am so nearly 3 hours feeding and setting. I then went to sleep and bingo 545am he's awake again so I've just fed him a shirt feed. What do you think is causing him to not really settle after he's had a big sleep? What else could I try? It's hard not sleeping after 2am!!!!

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2016, 07:42:36 am »
So it's 845 now and I've been awake since 2am feeding and settling. Im feeding him again just to get him to sleep as not content with paci. I'm getting into so bad habits with feeding to sleep but really don't know what else to do. I really thought I was getting there!!!!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2016, 08:09:58 am »
Feeding to sleep at night is not an issue at all. At a week old it's not a huge deal for during the day either. I always did as A time is so short. 

With bedtimes I tended to cluster feed 7-9.30/10 and then went to bed and DH did the next feed and resettling so I could get a good chunk of sleep.

He's doing a great big stretch but I'd prefer it later too. But I found when I woke DD3 was just too sleepy to feed.

Hang in there. It's always one step forward two back in these first weeks. In a couple of weeks you'll be able to feed lying down and that makes a huge difference!

Hugs xxx

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2016, 03:05:05 am »
Hi. Just thought I'd give you quick update and to see if there's anything else I could be doing. He seems to be more awake in the day which is great and not sleeping much over 2 hours at a time during the day so I did think maybe he is sorting his day and night. The last two nights he's gone to sleep at 7ish and then has either woken or OH does a DF at 1130pm. After that he still only manages every 1 sometimes 2 hours throughout the night. I suspect it's because he doesn't have big feeds each time. I don't want to walk him by changing nappy in night (unless dirty of course) as I really don't want him screaming and waking the other children. I also have to wait until he's absolutely zonked in my arms before laying him in Moses. Is there anymore I can do at this stage to get him to go longer at night or do you think it's just where's he's still young? He's nearly back up to birth weight of 8lb. When the kids are back to school I will try and work on him being able to self settle to sleep for his naps to try and get away from holding or feeding to sleep.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2016, 08:46:34 am »
I was just thinking of you as I fed in the school car park 😜

In terms of nights I think hes doing his big stretch from 7-11.30 which is awesome but onviozik u be better from 1-5/6!!! Would you be better cluster feeding in the early evening and getting DH to do the bottle a bit later? And then hopefully he'll be filled up to do that longer stretch at the middle of the night? it is normsl though but it would be better to get him sleeping In middle of the night. It's hard with other kids though.

Do you think the bottle is making him more windy?

Hugs xxx yay on the weight gain 😘😘

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2016, 11:12:08 am »
Yes I'd love that long stretch to be later, it just seems quite hard to wake him around that time. Do you think I should wake him after say a 2 hour nap after 6pm? Also I have tested out his cot today for a nap which he loves, he's been in there nearly 2 hours. What's the longest nap I should let him have in the day?

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2016, 17:17:31 pm »
Today he's been feeding every 2 hours. His last feed was 430pm so should I cluster feed every hour and when should I stop to let him sleep? X

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2016, 18:59:23 pm »
I'd probably aim for bed bed at 8.30/9 and hopefully that feeding will help him go for longer after his dream feed??

Sorry I'm a bit late so You've likely decided already what to do. Sometimes they are just so sleepy it's hard to make them Feed when we want them to 😜.

During the day I tended to not let mine go more than 3.5 hours between feeds although she was incredibly sleepy so even when I woke her it was near impossible to get a decent feed into her.

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2016, 19:38:40 pm »
He fed at 630 and then prob fell asleep about 7. I've just woken him for a feed and he's had a really good feed so just about to put him back down and then get OH to do a dream feed at 1030/11pm so fingers crossed it might help?? Will let you know. He's been feeding every 2 hourly like clock work today. When should I expect him to do 3 hourly and is that the point you would consider starting a EASY routine?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2016, 20:20:31 pm »
I'd maybe let OH do a feed when he next wakes??  Get you to bed!!!

Every two hours at this stage is fine. My friend bottle feeds and her 4 month old is still waking every 2 hours at night and the wee monkey goes 3/4 hours between feeds in the day. So allow BF babies do need fed more often I was reaSsured some babies just need to feed more often regardless of how they are fed.

You can start EaSY at any time but at this stage Id concentrate more on just following that flow as best you can through the day x

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2016, 10:43:35 am »
How was your night??xx

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2016, 20:39:59 pm »
After having a feed from OH at 1130pm he woke at 230pm and then pretty much 2 hourly through the night do by the time I'd fed really not much sleep. I'm not really sure why I bothered waking him at 830pm last night? Today he's been great having good naps and very content. He's been pretty much feeding 2 hourly around the clock and has been taking big feeds, think he must be having bit of growth spurt all of a sudden. Today he fed 7am, 9am, 1130am, 2pm, 430pm, 630,830pm sleep 9pm. Tonight we are just going to see when he wakes rather than wake him. I never woke my other two and they eventually established their own pattern so going to see? Will let you know how it goes. My OH is still on the sofa and o really want him to come back to bed so hoping nights get better soon. How's your LO doing? X

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2016, 06:09:39 am »
so last night after his feed at 9pm he woke at 1230am so OH fed. He the did to 330am which was nice but after that really hard to settle. After feeding at 3am got him back into basket at 4ish but after about half hour he was awake again. I settled him in my arms and he went back down at 5sm. Again didn't really settle so fed again. Eventually put back in St 6ish again didn't really settle. Fed at 7am again. Couple of questions 1) is it quite normal at his age yo be really unsettled the latter part of the night?
2) is there anything else I can try to settle him after 3am?
3) what time should I start his day again? 9am or 7am?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2016, 08:10:07 am »
That was super last night until 3.30!  Sounds like you are moving in the right directions starting to get slightly longer between feeds. The good full feeds through the day will likely help that.

With the latter part of the night....sounds like wind or some sort of discomfort?  Is his basket inclined slightly? I find Niamh is worse at nights as she's lying flatter for longer periods so less chance for wind to escape. We still struggle now with it although she doesn't wake nearly as much. Definitely no reflux?   I think it's normal to an extent and for you guys it definitely seems to be improving gradually. I do know there were a few nights I'd literally fed and done everything and kicked DH and he got up and took her down at 5am and let her get a rest (and me!).

I totally agree with you about letting them settle in to their own routine. Even if I woke N she didn't feed well until she was ready.

With starting the day in the early weeks we started the day usually about 8.30/9 and that lasted through the summer.  BT feed and settled to night sleep at about 9pm. Now we are back at school I'm starting the day at 7.30 boooooo!!!! At this age I wouldn't be too strict with when to start and judge it on your night. Is there a time you'll need him to be up for school runs?  What suits you best with the bigger kids?

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2016, 18:31:58 pm »
Thanks you are always really useful. I do think it is sometimes wind as he seems uncomfortable. I have put one end of the basket up already but may also try putting something small under the head of his mattress. I'd like to start the day at 7am to fit in with the school run but maybe at the moment will just see what happens with his bedtime as sometimes he goes down at 7am sometimes it's more 9pm. He's had a feed tonight at 630pm and getting tired now at 730pm so will put him down. He may or may not wake at 830/9pm so will see?