Author Topic: Need some help with 8 week old and 30 min naps!!! Feel lost!!!  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Laineybobs

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Need some help with 8 week old and 30 min naps!!! Feel lost!!!
« on: September 17, 2016, 15:56:30 pm »
Need some help with getting my 9 week old back on easy!! We had him
In quite a good routine since about 4 weeks - following his queues and he fed about every 2.5 hours and was doing good long sleeps! Had got into a routine of waking once a night. Then he had his 8 week vaccinations and it's all gone to pot! He is doing 30 min naps, and I can't get him back when he wakes no matter what! He is an EBF baby, and at 9 weeks weighs over 13lb so a good size! His routine is out of the window though and we are battling some days when we have 530 wake ups when he wont go back so rest of day goes to pot!

His easy on some days is:
E 715
A
S 845/9
Y

E 930/945
A
S 1115
Y

E 1130
A
S 1330

E 1400
A
S 1515
Y

E 1600
A
S 1730
Y

E 1800
A
S 1930/2000
Y

Then dream feed at 1030ish and he will wake then at 2 and 430/5pm. My main problems are:
I can't seem to stretch him fully to 3 hour feeds but some feeds he does take at they 2.5hr mark he barely takes anything so then is looking for more an hour later when he is due to sleep- so sometimes that leads to feeding to sleep;
He likes to be held to sleep - never needed this before hut the night he got his injections he was up all crying and wanting held and its escalate from there;
His awake time seems all over the place - I had always watched for cues which seemed to come at the 1.5 hr mark and we were getting bling sleeps at this pre the injections. But now we are getting 30 min naps at the 1.5 mark? I tried last few days winding down earlier and trying for th3 1hr 15 awake mark and got 45 min naps? So I don't know what to aim for? He hates shhh pat, gets him totally wound up and then it takes me ages to get him back calm!! 

The other issue I have is that I have a 2.5 year old so can't go on spending the 40 odd mins it takes to settle baby for his nap sometimes! Or spend ages trying to get him back if he does wake!!! I feel lost!!

Offline Laineybobs

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Need some help with 8 week old and 30 min naps!!! Feel lost!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 08:09:29 am »
An update - yesterday I had to go out for some time and it was 4 hours between his feeds - he lasted 230-630pm! He had a feed at 630, changed for bed and then other side at 740 and went to bed at 8pm. Tried Df at 1030 but he wasn't interested but he slept right through til 4am not looking for a feed til then which is almost 8 hours? He did take a while to settle at 4 after his feed. Any thoughts? We have still had a 30 min nap today after waking at 7 for the day?

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 11:57:26 am »
Hi hun and welcome to your newest addition!  30min naps tend to be OT related and his A times do seem to be slightly in the high side, so I wonder if you scale them back a little bit and hold for a few days if that would make a difference.  I know you said you did this and got a 45min nap - this can be UT but is also very common for babies to wake at this point because they are learning to transition between sleep cycles. 

2 NF at this age is perfectly normal even with a DF.  I never DF either of my LOs because I found it didn't actually push the NFs out and later and I also found it just disrupted sleep, so didn't end up doing a DF and just fed when they naturally woke.  That was just personal preference for me though.

Offline Laineybobs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 15:36:43 pm »
Another update to see if anyone can help? I took him to doc today as he's been so unsettled and she thinks poss reflux! She gave me infant gaviacon to try so gave that to him before his lunchtime nap and got 2 hours out of him! Don't know if coincidence or that I just got timings right today? Posting our easy so far today below for any thoughts:

E 730
A
S 910
A 940

E 1030
A
S 1120 (15 mins in car)

E 1150
A - first dose of gaviscon and top up feed
S 1250
Y

E 1500