Author Topic: Banana allergy???  (Read 4940 times)

Offline mirakim715

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 20, 2016, 22:04:29 pm »
It's been 2weeks since I introduce solids to my lo..
Normally I make baby food unless I don't have time or I forgot to make one... I gave him Garber banana puree and he got rash on his face... his skin is sensitive and got rash before due to unknown cause... but I believe that he got skin rash from eating banana this time... when he finished 20ml of it I noticed rash on his face..
After one hour rash is almost gone and he doesn't have any other signs or symptoms. I'm FTM. Do I continue with other solids? Should I give him banana to see if he gets reaction again?
I give him one solid food once a day for 2-3days before introducing new one.

Offline Hedgehog17

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 71
Re: Banana allergy???
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 07:16:03 am »
We have a lot of allergies in my family, so I was very careful introducing foods to DS.

DH and I both react to bananas so I didn't give any to DS until he was over 12mo!

If baby has a skin reaction I'd avoid giving that food again until after 12mo, because repeated exposure will just increase his reaction  :( He will likely tolerate it better after he's a year old. We also introduced foods carefully and slowly and so far DS has not reacted to anything other than cows milk protein (which he has been intolerant to from birth). I deliberately avoided any of the known family allergens until post 12mo, and I still haven't given him peanuts, as my Mum reacts badly to those!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 08:16:54 am »
My LO had a few skin reactions to certain foods, I would not class it as an allergy as allergy makes a person very poorly very quickly.  My DS's skin sensitivity/reaction did not cause any other illness or symptoms.  It happened with a few things but mainly tomatoes, I just made sure he didn't smear tomato all over his face or would wash him mid-meal if it did (rather than wait until he'd finished eating), I could often see a skin reaction not just on his face but also on his hands, wrists and up his arm where food smeared as he self fed where it rubbed against his high chair tray.
I didn't totally avoid giving the food again with my DS but if you are concerned I'd ask your doctor about it.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 10:49:50 am »
It may not be an allergy, but it's a reaction & it's best to hold off on a food that gives a reaction. I'd stop Banana  for a while & re introduce further down the track.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline mirakim715

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 16:12:06 pm »
Thank you! I won't give him banana for awhile and reintroduce him later to see how he reacts.. I hate not giving him though he sure did love the taste of banana lol