Author Topic: Capping naps?  (Read 6754 times)

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: Capping naps?
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2016, 21:14:55 pm »
Hi!

Not read your full thread but just popping in to reply.  How old is your LO now? Could you post her "typical" day?

Short naps & waking miserable is often OT. Could be build up from the 1 nap days? Or something developmental? Or teething?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2016, 10:38:17 am »
She is now 11.5 months.

Her typical day...well...haha
Wake up 7:30, bottle.
Breakfast at 9am.
Nap at 11:00 or 11:30...(often only 40 minutes- yesterday it was 20 minutes- I did try doing it earlier for about 1 week to do a short am, long pm but she started refusing that nap at that time.)
Lunch after nap. 
Bottle at 2-2:30 pm.
Nap at 2:30/3 pm depending on when she woke from first nap. (Again, often only 40 minutes)
Dinner 5-530.
Bottle at 7.
Bath then bed between 7:30-8pm

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2016, 19:43:51 pm »
You might have already thought of this, but could she be waking from hunger? With an 11.30ish nap, if I was hoping for along one, I would try giving breakfast a little earlier maybe around 8/8.30 & a big snack or half lunch before the nap say 10.45/11ish & the rest after nap.

Alternatively Is there anything that could be causing her to wake early from her first nap? Teeth? Working on new skills?

If not to the above, I wonder whether you could be getting some UT/OT? I.e. UT for first nap but then OT for next nap? Some LOs go to 1 nap around 12mo (my DD did). Is it worth trying an earlier lunch (11/11.30) and a 12.00 nap?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2016, 03:07:04 am »
I originally thought it was hunger, so I tried feeding her prior, and it made no difference.
Today, I put her down for a nap at 11:30- she woke at 40 minutes and by the time I went to get her, it was silent again (only took 30 seconds lol).  She ended up sleeping until 1:30 (had to wake her).  I put her down for her next nap at 3:45, and woke 40 minutes in, but was able to put herself back to sleep and she slept until 5:15 (again, had to wake her).

I just found a tooth just popped through and she is talking up a storm as of today.  So maybe it was teething or developmental.

I think I will have to start limiting her naps now.  I was trying to let her catch up on missed sleep.  We put her to bed at 7:30 and she didn't fall asleep til 8:15 (babbling to herself). 

I think I'll have to go back to the morning catnap and the long pm nap.

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2016, 20:05:18 pm »
Pesky teeth!

Hope you get a good night and better naps continue xxx
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2016, 18:03:23 pm »
i think things are slowly getting better.  She is wide awake if I try to put her down early for a short am nap and it takes her a while to sleep.

On the days we have playgroup, I put her down at 11:15, and I wake her around 12:45.  She sleeps again around 3:30-5.  (This is 2 days per week)

On the days where we don't have playgroup, I put her down around 11:30 and sometimes she'll sleep until 1:30-2.  I've been doing a short nap in the pm, from about 4-5, just because, but really, she doesn't act like she needs it.   

Shes going to bed between 7:30-8 now and is Sttn until 7:15am.

My question is, for the days without playgroup, should I try to delay her nap until 12pm, then 12:30 or 1pm, and attempt one nap dats again?

What's considered a good nap length for 1 nap days, where she shouldn't require a cat nap?

Thanks!

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2016, 20:56:30 pm »
If you're getting a good nap at 11.30 and managing g a PM CN too and a good night afterwards, I'd stick with it, sounds ideal!

General advice is to hang on to 2 naps for as long as possible (ie until they cause disruption to nights- either not going to sleep at BT, NW or EW,  or are refused totally) to avoid OT creeping in. 

« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 21:07:49 pm by Scottishmummy »
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2016, 21:00:56 pm »
Perfect, thank you!

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2016, 20:32:01 pm »
I'm back looking for your opinion again :) 

The last few days she has only slept for an hour for her morning nap.  Not bad, but not great either...
Last night she woke up at 11:45 pm, and thought it was time to party until 1:30 am...which is not like her at all.  She has STTN unless she was sick, and even then, it was easy to get her back down, unlike last night. 

Her pm nap today...well....we're going on 30 minutes and she still isn't asleep.  Playing, fussing....everything but sleeping. 

Do I continue with this routine for a few more days and pray she sttn or do I make the plunge and go to one nap?

Thanks!

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2016, 00:22:10 am »
I don't know that I have much advice hun, we are in the same boat.  My DD will often do a mega morning nap, but then will refuse a late afternoon CN and it ends up being a 1 nap day.  When I cap her morning nap however (45mins), she only naps an hour in the afternoon, so either nap is not overly restorative and she ends up being a mess by the end of the day.

Last night she woke up at 11:45 pm, and thought it was time to party until 1:30 am...which is not like her at all.
If it was just a 1-off I wouldn't overthink it too much, might just be a fluke ya know.  See what happens tonight :)

It is very much back and forth, I try for 2 naps every day but I would say that probably 4 out of 7 days are 1 nap days, but I know we are not ready for 1 nap every day.  How much A time are you giving between her morning nap and afternoon nap?

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2016, 04:42:22 am »
It's about a three hour A time right now between morning and afternoon nap.  I think any more and it'll start interfering with her bed time.  There needs to be a manual for this stuff 😉

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2016, 21:27:39 pm »
Sleeping through the night is much better now but she is still fighting her last nap and is soo miserable come bedtime.  I think our children are exactly the same lol

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2016, 14:13:05 pm »
It's a hard transition for sure!!  I am just trying to make it to when she goes to daycare full time because I know when that happens they will easily get her into a 1 nap routine. 

I actually started a thread too and the ladies there recommended to me to do a super short morning nap - max 30mins and then a long PM nap.  I think though that the long morning nap works better for us so I am just going to try to keep pushing it so it is mid-day.  I think if you can consistently get a long nap at 11:30am or later I would skip the second nap and do an EBT.

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2016, 17:58:51 pm »
Oh it's so hard!  I'm actually back to work, but working from home (luckily), but trying to plan my work into when she naps.  Which really, at this point, is difficult to do.  Haha. 

We had an appointment yesterday, during her nap time at 11:30, which I thought was unfortunate.  But she didn't appear tired at all until we got home.  Gave her lunch and put her down for a nap at 1:30 and she slept until 4:00 pm, and normal bedtime at 7:30. 

I was worried that OT would catch up to her, so I put her down for her normal nap at 11:30, and she only slept for an hour and 10 minutes.  I think we're closer to the 1 nap than we think.    :|

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2016, 19:27:54 pm »
It really does sound like she might be ready for you to take the plunge.  I know with DS once the naps hit 11:30/12 we just went for it and did EBT as necessary.