Author Topic: Wind tired or hungry only 4 days old.  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Wind tired or hungry only 4 days old.
« on: August 21, 2016, 23:48:19 pm »
I'm finding it hard to settle LO so each time he wakes sometimes every 1-2 hours at night at seems really unsettled between 1 and 4am I fed him but really not sure whether I should or not. I guess at this age it's ok to constantly be feeding but I don't know whether just tired and wants comfort. Confused as really struggle getting him to sleep in Moses basket at night

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Wind tired or hungry only 4 days old.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 01:21:06 am »
I think you might want to make sure you're burping him well after each feed to make sure that it's not part of the issue.  I found it really hard to get proper burps out of mine when they were that tiny - required lots of lots of patting and rubbing, but they would settle so much better once they got the air out.  It seemed for your other post that he seems to have his days and nights a bit mixed up - is he awake and unhappy, or just awake?  My third was like that -- he would sleep peacefully during the day but once night rolled around he just wanted to be up and awake. 

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 01:57:15 am »
Yes I think that wind is probably an issue and where I'm so desperate to sleep I'm putting him down when he falls asleep feeding so not getting the wind up. When he wakes I think he's in pain but burping him doesn't do much so I resort to feeding probably making the situation ten times worse. Should I take the swaddle off to wind him?

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 03:38:54 am »
Well tonight is so bad, please help!! He has been awake every half hour. I've fed him every half hour too as it's the only thing to really settle him back to sleep and he seems to root around. At first I try burping him when he wakes in case it's trapped wind but nothing do when he's screaming the house down I nurse again which he seems to take and is having a good 10 min feed each time. Surely this is too much for him? He falls asleep nursing so I pop him back down but then half an hour later he's up again. Any advice seriously appreciated.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 22:07:12 pm »
Have you considered reflux, intolerance or tongue tie? How is his growth?

Can you get to a lactation consultant IRL?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 22:40:04 pm »
He's only  4 days old & it is reasonable at that age (milk probably won't be completely in either) for them to feed 12 times in 24hours, so there will be times where they want to feed every 1-2 hours

Essentially in the first 2 weeks you can't feed too often, but you can feed too little. their stomach is only the size of their fist & the amount of milk you produce may not even be that much, so the early days it's about your body producing milk

is having a good 10 min feed each time. Surely this is too much for him?

that's pretty short, when I had DS2 I was told that the fact he fed for 10mins was really short (& compared to DS1 it was - DS1 would feed for at least 20mins every 2 hours in the first few weeks)

this is a good link http://kellymom.com/hot-topics/newborn-nursing/

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 04:11:55 am »
Thanks that's a really useful link on BF

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 18:50:19 pm »
I replied on your other thread there. def feed on demand and get a LC to check for tongue tie. 10mins feeds is very short for that age. also, the first few weeks both of mine only slept on me or very close to me in my bed. I rolled with it.you can sleep train later, it won't be too late in a few months time. but when they are so young they just want so much skin contact and to be held. its very natural and I wouldn't worry about getting him into his moses basket.
Franziska