Author Topic: Tips to avoid car nap please??  (Read 1326 times)

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 29, 2016, 12:50:28 pm »
Hi everyone! I'd like to hear your tips to keep your baby awake during car rides. I know the best tip is to avoid them near nap time but sometimes it's impossible to do so.

This week-end we had to deal with an overtired baby who slept 10-15 min in the car and refused to continue napping in the crib! I realized I should have let her sleep in the carseat to avoid this! what's your tips? I'm not used to this as my son was ''humming'' himself to fight sleep. he's 20 months old and just started sleeping in the car lol

I'm not sure if the thread is in the right section or if there's already another like this. thanks!!  ;D

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: Tips to avoid car nap please??
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 13:22:33 pm »
LOL I'll be interested to hear other people's suggestions as we are soon going to have same problem with the nursery pick up..

Things I try are:

Chatting to DD and saying her name repeatedly
Singing her favourite songs to her
Playing lively music

With varying success..I can usually keep her awake if it's only a 10-15 min journey but much more than that, I don't have a hope!

"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 18:18:33 pm »
Honestly if mine was in the car longer than 20 mins regardless of how close to nap time he was a asleep. My best success at keeping awake was snacks but otherwise I tried to avoid going out unless it was a nap time.

Zoe

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 19:24:04 pm »
Food ;D  We used to take DS a packed lunch with us if there was any danger of being in the car within an hour (or two!) of his nap time.  And then eek it out to last the journey!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 07:01:41 am »
I think OP is talking about a 7 month old ??? No way I would give snacks in the car to my 7 month old and he was pretty skilled in eating even at that age. Too much of a chock hazard for a LO that young IMO for snacks when mum is driving and can't supervise, and the car seats are usually still reclined at that age aren't they (well ours was) whichi s a dangerous position to eat in.

I don't really have any suggestions though. I couldn't sing or put music on as that led him off to dream land even quicker.

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 07:05:19 am »
My apologies, I thought we were talking about the 20 month old.  Agreed snacks unsupervised not appropriate for the 7 month old. To be honest at that age I tried to avoid nap time, and if it wasn't possible then tried to deliberately time journey so LO could sleep in the car.  I assume you still have 2 naps so if 1 is a mess then hopefully LO will cope as long as they get chance to make it up in the other and/or an early bedtime x

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 07:36:45 am »
Sorry I thought it was the 20 month old too. Yes my 7 month old is way too young for car snacks, I just time naps with car journeys x
Zoe