Author Topic: EWs and first nap question?  (Read 4347 times)

Offline FPT23

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
Re: EWs and first nap question?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 03:39:14 am »
Hmm true. Noted! Thank you :) I appreciate the help! Positive vibes on these earlier wakes. It's catching up to this mama ::) ;)

Ok well, it would depend his WU time and first nap length.... But he would either be able to nap about 45-1hr before I have to wake him.... OR his A time would prb be pushed 1 hour till we got home around 3. Just depends the morning nap. But what if he CNs on the way if I push A? How would you handle this situation? :)

Another question again w that first nap, I remember awhile back with DS1 someone told me their first nap can be like, a continuation of the night sleep if you PD to early and without knowing causing EWs... Well, I was also told that if you let them nap too long in the morning, that is also another sign of them continuing the night sleep and it could be capped to 1.5 at least. Not go on for 2hrs.

What's y'alls take on that?

I think he might be ready for a A push anyway... His first nap (now that he caught up) is getting shorter. Not hitting 1.5 but he's waking very happy. Usually that kind of nap is OT but he wakes happy, not fussy or grumpy... He always shows me he needs a push w his first nap. It's the first one he starts to shorten.

:)
Fabi

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2016, 00:24:30 am »
For the school run, I'd rather an UT nap and then less A time to the next nap then an OT baby due to pushing the A time. Just MHO.

As for the Ew's early naps. Yes if your nap is too early it can cause a lo to use that first nap as a continuation of the night sleep and that's what my son did when he was younger until someone mentioned that to me as well. However I never capped his naps until he was much older (around 3) because he never slept over 2hrs or so. I guess it just depends on your lo. I would look at overall amount of day sleep rather than one naps being 1.5 or 2hrs.

Glad he gives you signs when he needs an A push. :)
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline FPT23

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2016, 01:43:15 am »
How can I get an UT nap? He prb won't take it...? Or how does that work haha sorry... Well the next "nap" would be a CN or SUPER early BT.

I'm going to attempt keeping that CN too. Thanks for the advice! :D I guess it will just mean a little less Y time for this mama ;) ....on that note, what if I do a CN but he thinks it's BT- because he will, he's done it and I've always had to wake him. Sometimes he stays moody about it and others he's ok. So for this CN, do I just make sure to wake at the 20/30 min mark? Just to make sure it stays a CN? And around how much A until BT would work more or less?

Yes he does. Today he short napped me at 45 mins this morning. I think he's ready for a push now coming in at 7mths.. He's just been a bit OT from the EWs but he's been going back to 6:30-7am. He's catching up but needs the push :( ...on the topic, What's your best suggestion for A time pushes? So when I extend the first, the rest should remain the same? And then how do I push the rest of the A? I've always been thrown. I normally suggest one A time at a time for a few weeks.. What's your take? :)

Ty <3
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 13:03:35 pm by FPT23 »
Fabi

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 01:37:08 am »
I am so sorry for the delay I had a whole reply typed out and I don't know why it didn't post I should have double checked.. To answer your question. Some lo's won't take an UT nap but normally it would be apop'd like in the car or something of that sort. If that won't work I"m not sure
what if I do a CN but he thinks it's BT- because he will, he's done it and I've always had to wake him. Sometimes he stays moody about it and others he's ok.
My son always hated to be woken up from his naps, so what I did was turned the light on and just made some noise so that he woke up but on his own and just let him chill out until he seemed ready. Basically wasn't all in his face trying to me bright and sunny. lol.

o for this CN, do I just make sure to wake at the 20/30 min mark? Just to make sure it stays a CN? And around how much A until BT would work more or less?

I hate saying it but it honestly depends. Some lo's need an almost full A time after a CN, some don't. It also depends on what type of A time you are looking for after that nap. If you do a 20min nap the A time I would think to fend off OT would have to be shorter so I would keep it closer to 35min so one full sleep cycle but not a transition back into deep sleep.
What's your best suggestion for A time pushes? So when I extend the first, the rest should remain the same? And then how do I push the rest of the A? I've always been thrown. I normally suggest one A time at a time for a few weeks.. What's your take?

I hate pushing by 5 or 10min it takes too much mental math. :) so I push by 15min increments. I always push on the Long A time nap. So for example my son needed a super long A time in the AM to get a good nap and a short PM A time before bed so I always pushed that First A time once I got a good nap then I stretched the next one etc.  My daughter is the opposite. She needs a shorter A time in the AM for a good nap and a much longer A time before bed (even on a cn) or we get a but of fussing about at BT.

**Siobhan**

Offline FPT23

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 01:25:30 am »
Hi! Haha no worries it's ok! Thanks for responding to my 101 questions ;)

Well, tmw will be day one of this second nap, school pick up dilemma. I'm thinking I may cap the first nap slightly... see if that leaves me some room to have a good pm nap. None the less, he will be needing a CN. He needs to wake closer to 4pm to reach a decent BT (6:30/7pm) ...I don't know how it will work haha honestly. Not looking fwd to it but sometimes there is just nothing that can be done ::)

Yk, DS1 hated being woke up from naps... DS2 is better about it. He's a super happy little bean haha ;) !! Very charismatic ...anyways, that's a good suggestion on nap wakes. I haaaaaate waking them at all in general. Only bc I know it's annoying haha and I'm a grouch when anyone wakes me up ;) ...! Haha! I will go ahead and try for the 35 min nap instead and see what happens. I'm not a fan of super late BTs but we'll have to make do. Until we extend A times, I guess I'm stuck with this... I'm going to be looking at at 8/9pm BT with the CN :(

DS2 prefers longer mornings and DS1 didn't! So cute how they differ so much! I also push in the morning or as u said, the longer A time. How and when do you go about pushing the rest later? I assume not all of them will be the same A.. how do you suggest pushing the other A times and how long after you've pushed say, his morning A?

Xo! :) :) :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:27:43 am by FPT23 »
Fabi

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 11:17:51 am »
How and when do you go about pushing the rest later? I assume not all of them will be the same A..

Once you aregetting a good nap on the first pushed A time then you push the next one and so on.

You want to give the first push a few days yo a week to make sure it sticks and you don't get an OT baby.

**Siobhan**

Offline FPT23

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 03:45:07 am »
Ok gotcha! That's how I've continued.

I have something else to ask that has come up actuall ;)

Sooooo, since I've now began the school pick ups, he's been having to CN for sure as it would be way too early for BT without it. I'm ending up with 8-9pm BT ...BUT UT EWs as well at 5am.... I think bc he's getting good day naps plus a CN.

The A time after the CN to BT... the best and happiest rested baby ever haha. So, now I'm left with having to cap his day naps. He's such a good napper but he woke up extremely rested today for example, and even pushed his A time this morning on his own. Even after 5am WU. Happy baby.

What do you suggest? I hate capping naps.... :( I hate bothering his sleep.

Also, I do normally have to wake from the CN because he will think it's BT and stay asleep all night. So I should also continue to keep it short, right?

:) xo

Thanks for everything
Fabi

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2016, 23:45:39 pm »
Capping naps stinks I alwasy hated it but with my lo's had to do it or they would sleep forever in naps and then wake up at 430.. What's your current easy look like with the school run?

**Siobhan**

Offline FPT23

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2016, 04:37:43 am »
Looks like we have similar LOs! I haaaaave to cap naps. He can nap... ::) ;) hehehe!

...but ready to boogy super  early if I do...::) ;D

Pick up time is at 2:45pm M-F

Uhm, our easy isn't the best ATM with the school runs but more or less like this (give or take 30mins):

6-6:30am WU (on a good day haha!)

E
A
S 9/9:30-10-11am (this nap changes...but usually 1.5-2hrs)

E
A
S (where it gets tricky) TRY to PD around 1:30pm ish for at least about 45-1hr nap OR go for a ride early in the car from 2-2:30pm for a CN... EITHER WAY the nap will not go beyond 2:30 pm

E
A
S 5:30-6 (the capped CN or he sleeps like it's already BT)

BT 8:30/9pm and WU time the next day is yet to be passed the 6-6:30am despite later BT.

The thing is, no matter the arrangement... a nap will not go beyond 2:30pm which forces me to do a CN. I will not do a 5:30pm BT... yk? I have to basically wake from 2 naps. How will we ever move to two naps this way? We had already mostly been on 2 naps... it's changing now and this will be the routine everyday until Christmas break :(

I was considering a short morning nap... something like 1hr (9:30-10:30) or even 45 mins, drop next A time to asleep by 2:50 ish... but that will also give me a short capped nap. I feel anyway I go, naps will be short all around unless I leave the morning nap alone, but if I do, it messes up with school runs.

Hope this makes sense. I feel lost writing and explains it haha :)

Thanks so much again :)
Fabi

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2016, 15:29:03 pm »
Have you ever tried putting him down at 6:30pm? My lo around this age starting taking on lost day sleep. So if he went to bed at 6:30 would he sleep till 6? Just curious, we did this for my son until we coudl drop to 1 nap at a year. If he's pulling a really good morning nap my personal opinion is don't mess with it. I have a 5month old and I hold dear to at least one good nap. Her best nap is in the morning. It's 11:30 and she's still out, my son will have to deal with it. We'll do all our fun in the afternoon. :) Because she sleep poorly in the afternoon I have the opinion that as long as she gets on good nap at home I'm ok with what happens after. You have to remember this won't last forever. Soon he'll be needing longer A times and it will end up working out that he sleeps when you get home from the school run.

Best advice I can give is quite trying to "tweak" it so much and just go with what you've got. Look at how much sleep he's getting over a 24hr period of time. You could try putting him to bed earlier than 830 and see what happens but that's up to you.

**Siobhan**

Offline FPT23

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2016, 16:30:09 pm »
Hi thanks for the advice as usual :) I guess I was just trying to do what was best for him BUT, it's funny you say that because he has been doing 12 hour nights because of the crazy afternoon. "Taking on lost day sleep" as you mentioned. Oddly though, he seems to be more OT in the morning and more "moody" than usual. However, your right and I've been doing the dreaded early BT when he has the sloppy afternoon nap and he is going all the way through. Yesterday, oddest thing (a bit off topic haha!) but he pushed his own BT hanging out in his crib babbling, pushed his A time to close to the 4hr mark :o ....slept 7:00-7:15am. It was cool ;)

Now, when you say BT at 6:30, do you mean skipping the CN all together instead and push to be asleep BY 6:30? I ask because since he has to be up by 2:30 for sure... he will need the CN or BT for what he can handle as far as A times, or BT would be 5:30pm, kwim?

I won't mess with his first morning nap, attempt for a shorter next A and attempt a UT nap... the rest of the day i just don't know how to figure it out- to do the CN or not.... yes he will extend his A times eventually :) soon it seems like. He's always been on the higher end of A times it seems :) ...if I end up with the CN, I'll also attempt the earlier than 8:30/9pm BT.

Do you know overall sleep at this age? ...before I had mentioned he was a 10-11hr night baby. Lately that's changed clearly! Due to the school run :)

Your help is much appreciated thank you Skadiver! (Random question, how's NY right now. I was there last year around this time. Perfect weather!)
Fabi

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2016, 00:46:22 am »
Do you know overall sleep at this age? ...before I had mentioned he was a 10-11hr night baby. Lately that's changed clearly! Due to the school run 

From what I remember it's Total sleep time required over a 24-hour period

Newborn.......16-17 hours
1-6 months....15-16 hours
6-12 months...14 hours
1-2 years.....13-14 hours

But as long as he got good naps my son was a 10.5hr a night no matter what. :) Once he went to one set nap it was about 11hrs and then no nap about 11.5/12.

NY has been so warm we haven't had any fall weather until this week. I'm waiting for the leaves to change. :)

**Siobhan**

Offline FPT23

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2016, 00:14:24 am »
Oh ok thanks a lot! He's been averaging about that much! I'all stick with that ;) thanks! He's also more of a 10.5-11hr nights too and it's... challenging ;) hehe! I appreciate the help!

Warm really!? No leaves changing yet? I figured it would be cooler by now. We went twds the end of aug and it was perfection. Not hot nor too cold. I'm from Texas though so what I found perfect weather was probably hot for y'all? Haha!

It's a dream to visit NYC during the Christmas holidays! But prices skyrocket haha ::)
Fabi

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2016, 13:45:03 pm »
Groupon and Airbnb are your friend .:)

**Siobhan**

Offline FPT23