Author Topic: Pu/pd questions  (Read 3869 times)

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: Pu/pd questions
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2016, 00:56:56 am »
so I altered it slightly so I was there to comfort him and not leave him to cry but didn't pick him up as I found this disturbed him trying to settle

This is exactly what we did too.
Hope I didn't screw anything up by not doing them together.

No you didn't but once he goes to sleep consistently at night I would tackle naps.

Should I aim for 2h and do my version of pu/pd for naps? 
If he's going to sleep by himself at night then yes. Just read his cues the best you can. Maybt at 1hr30min turn off all tv's etc . Go upstairs start your wind-down low key etc give him time to relax.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Gummi_bear63

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2016, 23:57:05 pm »
I'm on day 9 of my pu\pd hybrid and we seem to have hit a wall. He had a regression around day 6 with it taking an hour to get to sleep and since then has been 40 minutes and doesn't seem to be getting better. Least it's ever taken was 30 really. I'm not sure how we will get to him going to sleep on his own.  It's getting pretty exhausting. It's worthwhile for nights-I haven't gone to him since day 2 in the night. If he does wake up he puts himself back to sleep. But getting to bed is pretty awful. Any idea what might help??  Could it be because he's still getting held for naps?

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2016, 12:30:12 pm »
Please could you post the routine you are aiming for and/or a couple of days EAS with when you started trying for sleep and when he went off?  This suggests to me that he may need some routine tweaks, perhaps some longer awake times...

Offline Gummi_bear63

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2016, 15:06:16 pm »
I decided to go ahead with naps thinking this might be the problem.  It has been helping but still needs some work.  I'm also stepping out of the room more if he's not super upset but just fussing as I felt I was getting in his way.  If he gets upset I go back in.  I'm posting day 2 and 3 of nap training as well so maybe this is still too early in the process for timing advise but I thought I would see what you had to say.

7:37 awake

9:33 in crib.  Went to sleep 9:39(no intervention).  Woke 10:29.

12:44 in crib.  Went to sleep at 12:58(had to go in).  Woke 1:27

3:35 in crib.  Went to sleep at 3:49(had to go in)  Woke 4:24

6:24 in crib.  Asleep 6:27(miracle yet to be repeated!)

*Woke many times between now an 10.  Put himself back to sleep but constantly waking.  After 10pm didn't stir.  Wondering if he's hearing my husband and I?  We went to bed around then.

Woke 6:50.

9:04 in crib.  9:11 asleep(no intervention).  Woke 9:45  **was trying a slightly longer time here because I felt like I've been seeing no tired signs and thought maybe I was going to early....but nap length suggests this was wrong...

11:53 in bed.  12:13 asleep(had to go in).  Woke 12:42

In bed 2:42.  3:00 asleep(had to go in).  Woke 3:27

In bed 5:54(later than I intended due to a few issues  Perhaps the problem).  Seemed like he was putting himself right to sleep but after 4 minutes started to cry.  He kept almost falling asleep and then waking up.  Had to go in.  Didn't sleep until 6:27.  Worse night in a few days, since I've been doing naps. Woke every hour and usually put himself back to sleep for the next few hours.  Around 9:30 had to go in.  Quiet after 10 again until he woke at 5:30. 

Any thoughts?? I was trying to experiment with times a bit.  Just had a first nap where he fell asleep almost exactly 2 hours after waking(was acting tired so I put him in a bit early and he took him about 14 minutes to fall asleep, and then he only slept 19 minutes :(

Won't post the whole first day with naps because it sucked but for reference sake, the first nap was amazing(yet to be repeated)  Woke around 7:25.  In crib 9:20.  Fell asleep in 4.5m without intervention(9:25).  Woke 10:35.   

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2016, 12:07:03 pm »
The first day you posted I'd say probably a bit UT for first nap (i.e. too short A time hence nap in the 50-80 mins range) which then set you up for an OT cycle, as he couldn't handle a full A time after that short first nap.  And therefore you got a lot of early evening NWs.  I don't think you were wrong to try a longer A time the second day, I'd have done the same I think.  But it may be you need to push even longer - I found sometimes if the A time was still a bit on the short side you'd get a short nap from (accumulated) OT but couldn't resettle as the actual A time on the day was short.  Does that kind of make sense?  Perhaps shoot for in the crib for first nap 2h after waking for a few days, and then if the nap is good (an hour or more) try around 2h15 for next A time, and maybe pull back slightly to 1h45 after a short nap?

All that said - I think you are doing brilliantly :D  It's rough changing habits (on both of you) but you are definitely making progress with it even if it doesn't feel like it x