Author Topic: 2.5 year old, new baby, new sleep issues  (Read 909 times)

Offline Mel_bhs2010

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: September 03, 2016, 05:35:43 am »
I came here a year ago when I was transferring my then 18 month old to his need in his room and came back when that didn't write and we found a new sleep routine that worked. Well that's not working anymore!

He was sleeping in his bed attached to our bed in our room. Then he was only waking once, maybe twice, during the night.

Now he's 2.5 years, 30 months old, and its newly a big brother. We expected some regression but this is getting ridiculous!

He completely dropped his daytime nap, he was taking a two hour nap during the day and he just refuses now, no shortening or anything..It's just gone. Because of this hes going to bed earlier. He sleeps about 8pm-9pm to 9am-10am. That's actually great..no complaints.

The complaints are with the night wakings.. he wakes up 8-10 times a night and all he needs is to be cuddled for a few minutes. My husband mostly takes care of it, but he's getting exhausted! 

We were just gonna give it time, but it's been 6 long weeks and the infant is sleeping more and more and the toddler is consistently waking up almost every hour. I probably won't do anything drastic got another 6 weeks because becoming a big brother is a huge change, but is there any tips anyone can offer so we can all get more sleep?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 2.5 year old, new baby, new sleep issues
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 19:58:25 pm »
Ah Hun big hugs it hard when number 2 comes along. Best way someone described it to me is your first child is feeling a bit like you did when you lost your first love.

My DS1 was great initially when DS2 came along but then regressed...wanting to be in our room because baby got to sleep in the there so he should too etc.

Basically we just did a lot of cuddling, extra stories, did sleep odd night with him and spent special mummy or daddy and him time doing fun stuff. DS1 said to me after a couple of months "mummy I love the baby but he's a pain and cries and we don't get to go to the park so much. Can he go back in your tummy for bit"

Really all I'd say is lots of reassurance, cuddles, special time for him and be consistent with sleep if you can. Also they do have developmental stuff funnies around half birthdays so it could be to do with this too.

Do you think he's OT?
Zoe

Offline Mel_bhs2010

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 20:28:43 pm »
No, he doesn't act tired until we start his nightly routine.

I think in a few months were gonna move the baby in his room (baby has started sleeping through in his own bed) and then transition ds1

I love co sleeping and having a family bed but ds2 sleeps better without it and I think ds1 will do better without it now that he's older.

Offline Mel_bhs2010

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 02:48:48 am »
Ok I think I've made a plan, I want to see how it's sounds to singe experts.

The baby has been consistently sleeping through already and going to bed awake and putting himself to sleep. This is nothing I did, he's just awesome. So I was thinking when he's 3-4 months old I start putting him down in the playpen in the living room (planning on them sharing a room) and then putting my oldest to bed in his room using the gradual withdrawal method..Then once he's going to sleep in his bed put the baby in there, too.

My thinking is if I do them both at the same time it will be too distracting for my oldest, or my oldest will disturb my youngest. I'm all for the no cry method but when we tried this last time there was always crying anyway, whether I was there to love on him or not he cried, so realistically I know that's gonna happen.

Should I do that, or go ahead and move them both in the room at the same time?  The baby usually sleeps through his cries (and vise versa, they don't really disturb each other) I just don't know. My oldest will be 3 in February.

Sorry it this is all over the place, I'm exhausted.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 06:24:47 am »
It's great to hear the baby is sleeping through.

I probably would work on toddler sleeping in own room and keep baby with you as SIDS guideline say baby with mum until 6 months as I'm sure you know. The baby is still young enough as you say to sleep in playpen so should give you some time to work on GW.

I'll see if I can some more eyes from someone with bedroom sharing experience as my 2 have separate rooms.

x
Zoe