Author Topic: Update: HELP please :( Gradual Withdrawal. A Few Questions  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Lpat1711

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Update: HELP please :( Gradual Withdrawal. A Few Questions
« on: September 03, 2016, 07:28:54 am »
Hi, I started gradual withdrawal with my almost 1 year old last night and I'm pleased to say it was a success, she went to sleep without holding my hand last night which hasn't happened in a long time, I stayed right by the cot and there wasn't even any crying  :) however she did wake around 1.30am which is unusual as she sleeps through the night 9 times out of 10, I was wondering, as it took double the time for her to fall asleep last night should I take her through to bed a bit earlier to compensate for this? i.e. to allow her a bit longer to fall asleep? As I wondered was she OT causing the wake up at 1.30am? But She did only have two 30 minute naps yesterday  :o

Also I want to take it nice and slow as she is a spirited baby who gets very upset/ easily frustrated so how many nights should I stay in the same position before moving back a bit? I've introduced a lovey so hoping this will help a bit with the process.

Thank you x
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 08:18:03 am by Lpat1711 »

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Gradual Withdrawal. A Few Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 12:56:06 pm »
Sounds like probably an OT wake-up.  You could try a touch earlier to begin settling her but if she is spirited I wouldn't try too early as if she is UT you may face a massive battle!

I would move reasonably quickly with the stages of GW, actually.  You don't want her to get too comfortable at any one stage, otherwise it's like starting again if you see what I mean?  If she does a day or two happy to fall asleep with you sitting next to her, I would move a step further towards the door.

Keep us posted :)

Offline Lpat1711

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 17:24:30 pm »
Thank you! I have done lots of reading up on GW but couldn't find a definitive answer of how long to take with each step but what you are saying makes total sense  :) as I said she was really calm (surprisingly) last night so I may try a bit further back tonight and see how it goes! Will keep you updated.

Offline Lpat1711

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 18:12:54 pm »
Quick update: I moved back about 2ft from the cot and she went to sleep in half the time it took last night with no crying  ;D Happy mummy! Although she tried every trick in the book to make me laugh haha definitely making progress, here's hoping it continues!

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 18:40:19 pm »
That's fab :D  Keep going, fingers crossed for you x

Offline Lpat1711

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 13:24:01 pm »
We're progressing great, even managing naps in the cot which hasn't happened for at least 7 months  ::) I'm over the moon this is working I'm almost at the door already but the closer I get I'm panicking a bit as I'm sure she'll cry when I get to out the door  :'( if this happens do I go back in & comfort her then go back to my spot behind the door or just reassure her with my voice? Thanks so much for your help and encouragement!

Ps my wee one is Jessica too, always have loved the name even before we thought about having babies  :)

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 16:52:01 pm »
:D yay name twins!  You are doing so well, that's brilliant!  Yes once you get to outside the door it basically becomes walk in, walk out if she needs you, but if you can reassure with voice alone that would be even better.  She's done so well, I hope she keeps surprising you and doesn't even notice ;)

Offline Lpat1711

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Update: HELP please :( Gradual Withdrawal. A Few Questions
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 08:23:50 am »
Things were going sooo well, we had 4 days and nights of going to sleep on her own in the cot for naps and bedtime, no crying and sleeping within minutes, but now things are worse than they were before I started GW :( she has suddenly started screaming when I put her in the cot, real tears, getting herself really worked up, won't even settle if I stand right next to the cot  :o Don't know if it coincidence but I had some friends over who she isn't familiar with when she woke up from her nap the other day and she cried pretty much the whole time they were here then that night was when the problems started. I am at a complete loss as what to do, it's breaking my heart having her so upset, I really don't know what to do next, any advice would be much appreciated, Tia x

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 13:03:22 pm »
Oh no!  :(  That sounds rough - ((hugs)).  What happened when your friends were round?  Did they come with you to pick her up from her nap or was it literally just they were in the house?  Wondering if somehow it has triggered a bit of anxiety/she wasn't expecting it and freaked out a bit?  But equally it could be total coincidence - it is not uncommon to get a regression around 5 days into sleep training.  I assume no illness/teeth etc?  I would offer a little more reassurance, maybe go back a step or two from where you were and just hold tight until she is finding it easier to settle down again, then move back to where you were.  She's done it and will do again :) xx

Offline Lpat1711

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 11:45:03 am »
Hi thanks for replying! With regards to my friends, they were literally just in the sitting room when I brought her through from her room, the male friend, obviously unintentionally ,frightened her by bending down to speak to her straight away without giving her a bit of time to warm up first and she freaked out, cried the whole time they were here, even if he wasn't looking at her :'( she had went down for both naps that day before they arrived without any issues but that night was a totally different story! It's almost as if she's got a fright when she got up and they were there and now thinks the same is going to happen again every time she goes into the cot. We have been teething for sometime now but seems to be under control with paracetamol/ teething powders and she's happy as Larry any other time.

I've tried going right back and sitting beside the cot, even offering my hand but she won't take it, she's just crying really really hard. I think the problem lies with the cot, as she'll happily drift of to sleep in the bouncer on her own, no hand holding, even snoozes happily if I'm in the kitchen next door. And obviously sleeps in the pram no problem if we're out and about. I somehow need to get her un-scared again lol any suggestions would be much appreciated x

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 12:53:27 pm »
Oh bless her, sounds like she just got a bit spooked doesn't it?  I would deliberately spend some time in her room just to play, get in the cot with toys, get in with her (if you can!), read stories, climb all over it, make it a fun place :D  Hopefully that will reassure her that the cot is ok and she will be fine and safe there xx