Author Topic: Activity Time Ideas for 5 Month Old  (Read 6599 times)

Offline Meggyfunk

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: August 16, 2016, 19:44:15 pm »
Hi,

First time and stay-at-home mom here! I would love your ideas for indoor and outdoor activities appropriate for an (almost) 5 month old. The Wonder Weeks app and Google have been somewhat helpful. We do tummy time, grasp for toys with different textures and sounds, play with his IKEA baby gym, practice trying to sit up, read books, sing songs and most recently I've introduced him to our pool. It's a bit humid outside for walks and we can't wait for cooler weather to enjoy being outdoors more! Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. His "A" time is always the same and predictable, I'd love to give him some new play activities to enjoy.

Thanks!  :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Activity Time Ideas for 5 Month Old
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 22:08:53 pm »
Sounds like you do a lot already :)
One of the things my DS loved was flash cards - they have a bit of a bad reputation in my opinion because of the idea of "flashing" them at LO with the aim of forcing loads of information into them, BUT I did not "flash" them at all. Instead we used them like a loose leaf book, just looking at pictures and talking about what was there, he loved an animal set we had with the adult animal one side and the baby on the other, and loved me telling him the names and the sounds they made.  We also had various other sets, colours, shapes, sports and hobby pictures, anything really. He loved books too but the cards had another quality, and the ability to lay them out on the floor or pass them hand to hand or reach for them as they are lighter than a book.

Another thing mine loved was busy boxes. Your LO is perhaps just a touch on the young side yet, but as soon as he's sitting he would likely enjoy exploring a few item in a box/basket. There are lots of on-line ideas about what to put in a busy box but it can be as simple as a wooden spoon, sieve and a couple of other safe items from your own kitchen.

Once we introduced solids that took up just about all our A time and I felt we didn't have time for anything else.  You have another month to wait yet but going out and about for a 'picnic' (not that they eat much at that age) is nice, just playing around on a blanket, rolling a ball, looking at the scenery and talking about everything.
Lots of talking about everything and anything whether indoors or outdoors :)

Offline Meggyfunk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 00:49:53 am »
Thank you so much for these great ideas. I have a feeling our little one would love flash cards and I truly hadn't even tought of that before! I finally got a postiive reaction to his baby bjorn carrier today (Hallelujah!!), as he's cried in it every week I've tried to convince him how fun it could be before now. Can't wait until the weather is nicer for outdoor picnics and strolls, there's so much to see outside and mommy would enjoy the fresh air also  ;)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Activity Time Ideas for 5 Month Old
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 19:02:06 pm »
Sounds like you're feeling a bit cooped up stuck indoors too long.

Have you seen this link with some ideas?
Toy, Activity, and Book Ideas for Babies and Toddlers

Offline Meggyfunk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 17:30:57 pm »
Thanks, again!!  :)