Author Topic: Sudden bathtime aversion  (Read 3849 times)

Offline Helentracey

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 03, 2016, 20:14:40 pm »
I have a 15 mo and he has always loved the bath, and water in general. I have taken him swimming from 3 weeks of age, and he has been regularly since. All of a sudden approximately 10 days ago he started to get upset when I put him in the bath. To start with, it was a few minutes into the bath but the last few days he has started screaming (not just crying) as soon as I lift him to put him into the bath. I understand children can just develop aversions for no real reason, however i wanted to ask whether there could be something else going on, and how best to manage this. I initially thought it was related to teething as he is teething +++ at the moment and as such he is sore down below (so i thought getting into the water might be irritating this), but now I'm not sure. Any advice welcomed!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Sudden bathtime aversion
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 00:14:11 am »
Usually something like that comes from w bad experience -- so maybe he was irritated and the bath made it worse.  Some moms have found it helpful to have their LOs play in an empty bath or have him go into the bath naked and just sponge bathe him.  Will he get in the bath with you?  Or maybe try a shower with him in it?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 10:14:14 am »
Try water play outside, and see how he responds. We had a similar thing at about that age, and finally we figured out that it was the transition (getting undressed) that was the problem.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 18:34:16 pm »
We had similar but someone where suggested we move bath time earlier and that helped lots. I hadn't thought my DS was too tired as his routine was relatively stable but making it a bit earlier he had more energy for it. You can also check if he is hungry, at 15 months maybe he doesn't have a BT milk now but if he does he might be trying to move the routine one in a hurry to get to it.
Those are things not related to teething and a sore bum, just some other ideas.