Author Topic: How do I handle jet lag???  (Read 1144 times)

Offline SaraMamma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 06, 2016, 06:23:23 am »
Hello everyone!

I am leaving tomorrow for Italy, which is -8h from Melbourne where I leave...

I have a 6wo son (7wo on Sunday) and I am wondering how to change his day-night cycle around for the time we'll be there (4 weeks).

Currently, his EASY routine is this:

E- 7am - wake up and feed (he's generally a fast feeder, done and dusted in approximately 25mins, although over the last few days he’s started feeding from both sides, 25’ on one + at least 5' on the other… yesterday he went for 40mins, first time ever!! GROWTH SPURT???)

A- 7:30-8:10 Activity involves burping, nappy change and staring/singing/playmat/…

S- 8:10-10:05 (although he lately tends to wake up at 9:30am...  :-\ )
Y- as long as he sleeps...

E- 10:15 (I wake him up -if not awake yet- a bit before feeding him to do some tummy time, as after eating is not possible due to throwing up...)
A- 10:40-11:10 (I wish he could stay up a bit longer... )
S- 11:15/20 - 1:25PM (although he tends to wake up around 12:20/30 and then it’s hard to settle him down again)
Y…

E- 4:45pm (again, if he doesn’t wake up at 3:30pm, which is when he tends to wake up… of so, I’ll stretch it as much as I can)
A-5:15-6pm or so, burping then at this time we always (weather allowing) go for a walk, so he can have a catnap in the pram if needed…
S- as said, he generally has a 15-20mins catnap in the pram during our afternoon walk

E- 6/6:15PM I top him up before night time…
A-burping, bath, change into his PJs, book if he’s not overtired (rarely)
S- 7pm generally

E-he tends to wake up once at night for feeding, at around 2:30am
E- 7am we start the day again...

I am thinking to try and follow the Italian time when we are already on the plane, but what if it does not work? What can I do to help him settle there? And especially, what can I do to settle him back on Melbourne time when we are back here in October??  ???

I'd appreciate any advice!

Thank you!

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: How do I handle jet lag???
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 06:32:46 am »
My Sister travelled UK to Aus when her DS was 3mo & then moved back to Aus when her DD was 1month old... with both children she had almost no issue, just made sure they got plenty of day light when it was day & treated night like it was night. It took her much longer to adjust than it did the babies.

Much as I'd do with travel just work with the clock of the time zone you are in. My Dad who travelled loads for work used to say it took 1 day for every hour time difference to adjust & my sister found it kind of took 1 nap for every hour time difference
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 06:46:27 am »
At that age honestly I'd just go with the flow, especially on the flight.  Believe me there is no point in trying to 'force' a routine in that environment!!  It seems the younger they are, the more naps they have, the quicker they adapt.  Just go back to newborn mentality, EAS cycles (don't worry about strict timings) and keep things light and bright in the day, dark and calm at night even if LO awake.  It will be fine :D

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 08:23:34 am »
I agree. We have done it a few times with our kids and honestly the younger they are the quicker they adapt. My (then) 18 month old adjusted almost straight away, my 3 and 5 year old took a few days. Took me about a week!

Offline SaraMamma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 22:30:57 pm »
Thank you ladies!

I'll try not to stress as much then and enjoy the trip  :)

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 22:54:17 pm »
Yes Stress is a killer for a parent, if I could go back in time to when I had a small baby the one thing I'd say to myself is to spend much more time relaxing & enjoying stop sweating the small stuff... the routine isn't important... it will change 100 or more times before they get to teenage years, but boy do I wish I'd spent more time holding my baby, rather than worrying about sleep... can't get that time back for me, but maybe I can help others learn from that.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05