Author Topic: How to night wean 14month old, and what about teething?  (Read 1650 times)

Offline salsa

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to night wean 14month old, and what about teething?
« on: September 08, 2016, 03:14:17 am »
After 14 months I really need to get more sleep!
DS self settles at bedtime (7) but wakes 1-4 times a night and feeds back to sleep. If its before about 12 (very rare) he's tired enough to go back to sleep with just a cuddle but later than that demands milk. On a good night it's just once at maybe 3 or 4 am but illness/teething/OT causes multiple wakings which can go on for weeks.
All the methods I've seen seem to concentrate on bedtime but bedtime is not a problem and I feel too exhausted to figure out another way.
I was happy with giving one feed during the night but when he's teething he really suffers and nursing seems to be the only thing that will comfort him. I guess I'm worried that if I totally night wean I won't be able to offer him this form of comfort when he's teething....

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: How to night wean 14month old, and what about teething?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 18:30:41 pm »
Hi

I weaned both of mine off night feeds a little younger- about 9-10mo & used different approaches with both.

My DD actually dropped some feeds herself and then I just held out on feeding until the last feeds pushed later and later and finally became morning feeds.

My DS refused to go back to sleep without the feed so with him I timed how long the feed took and gradually reduced how long I fed him for by a minute every 2-3 nights. I weaned one feed at a time until he was going without.

I have seen others with older LOs (over 12mo) just going "cold turkey" though and only offering water but no BF.

Sending your OH in for the NWs (if that's possible) can also work if you want to go "cold turkey"

With teething...I think once you drop NFs, it is confusing to restart and can re--establish them, and then you have to go through weaning off again. At least by 14mo, you probavky only have one or 2 more sets of teething to go (1&2yo molars) so hopefully could medicate and cuddle through when it happens?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 19:04:32 pm »
we did the "send the DH method to settle" at around 11 months and it worked very well. my DD would have slept through occasionally before that too but very inconsistent. so, for a few nights DH was with DD all night and settled by patting back etc. hope you will be getting some more sleep soon!
Franziska

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 22:01:21 pm »
I went cold turkey with all of mine between 12.5-16.5mo. I just told them boobies were sleeping and helped them resettle without a feed. You can still cuddle, stroke and talk softly to soothe LO during illness or teething. They also take a cup of water to bed to drink by themselves.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline salsa

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 03:15:22 am »
Thanks for your responses, sounds like cold turkey might be the best option at this age/stage. Unfortunately he has only cut 5 teeth so far and each one caused weeks of upset :-[ so we have a long way to go...
I don't think the gradual reduction in nursing time will work as he's super efficient and can drain a boob in about 2-3mins (I only offer 1 side at night feeds)! If I stopped at 2 mins prob end up with milk all over the walls ha ha
Will wait till this round of teething appears to be over before trying the cold turkey approach, if I can muster the courage

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 11:54:30 am »
I think that's a good plan.  Feel free to post again once you start if you'd like guidance or hand holding ☺
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011