Author Topic: Early Wakings causing OT cycle - suggestions please (5 month)  (Read 1820 times)

Offline melmor

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Early Wakings causing OT cycle - suggestions please (5 month)
« on: September 08, 2016, 14:00:49 pm »
Hi, any advice with this would be greatly appreciated. My son has created a habit of getting up at 5 am every morning, at times i can get him to go back to sleep for 40-60 mins or so but i am really struggling to get him to 7 - which is ideally where i would like him to be waking. The only reason i really would like the 7 am waking is that i have 2 other daughters that need to be walked to school so by the time we do that and i return home to put his down for his nap its 930 am he has been awake for 3 hours, which i assume is too long for a 5 month old (he also doesn't nap in the stroller, too much going on to do that)

A little about him and our day - we follow EASY throughout the day usually doing the 4 hr EASY:

He is 5 months old, 17 lbs (big boy!). He has been strictly formula fed since 1 month, we had a rough start with feeding for both me and him. We follow the same sleep routine for bed, cereal, bath, bottle, swaddle and I rock him to sleep. My husband dream feeds him around 10-11pm and he sleeps quietly until around 3am (usually without his soother, as it falls out 30 mins after he is asleep). From 3-5 am he wakes a few times for a soother or to be reswaddled (he still gets swaddled at night and for naps), but goes right back to sleep. He usually goes to bed between 7-745, so hes getting about 9-10 hrs when he wakes up at 5.

Around 5 am –  like clockwork – he wakes and starts “talking” to himself, if we leave him it turns into a cry – we try to limit that as we don’t need the other 2 girls awake as well. Ill go into his room, reswaddle him if needed, change his wet bum, tell him night night, and rock him back to sleep - i keep it dark and don't talk too much. This is where my frustration starts to grow. Some times he sleeps for 50mins wakes, we repeat until 7am when I finally get him up and feed him. Some times he's up every 20-25 mins, sometimes he’ll sleep 60 mins, I have no idea what helps or doesn’t help with this. My husband has suggested feeding him at 5 am, but I am not sure if I want him getting into that habit at 5 am, I want to teach him to sleep thru not wake up for food – but maybe I'm wrong here?

Food – he gets about 28-30 oz of formula per day, usually 4-6oz bottles and 4 oz at dream feed (he has recently decreased this amount (dropping about 4-5 oz) because he is napping a bit longer and staying awake more. He also gets a few tablespoons of cereal before bed. Should I be increasing the amount of formula during the day? Is he waking at 5 am
because he is hungry?

Naps – he usually has 3 naps a day (morning, afternoon and evening) I will usually get 1 good nap / day where he will sleep 90mins-2 hr on his own straight. The other naps he will wake around 30-40 mins mark, I will go back rock him back to sleep and he will sleep another 40-60mins chunk. He is getting about 3-3.5 hrs in naps / day.

When rocking him to sleep he generally is good, and quick. I am usually good at catching his sleep cues, in the past month he has increased his awake times to 2 hrs.

Any suggestions on how to help him sleep longer in the morning so we don't start an OT cycle would be so helpful. If anyone needs any additional info id be happy to provide it.

Offline Reethepea

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Early Wakings causing OT cycle - suggestions please (5 month)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 14:14:51 pm »
Hi, I'm no baby whisperer expert but also have a 5 month old. My dd often wakes at 5. Sometimes I can resettle with the dummy, sometimes not. If I can't resettle with 30 mins I offer a feed. 9 times out of 10 she will take a full feed and then resettle till 7. I think at this age it's quite common to still have a night feed and if the dream feed was between 10-11pm it's likely hunger that's waking him. The main thing I do is to try other methods first and only when they don't work do I offer a feed so that she doesn't associate being awake with always getting a bottle IYSWIM
DD 1- Spirited- July 2012

DD 2- Angel/Touchy April 2016

Offline melmor

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 14:22:48 pm »
Thanks for the reply, do you normally offer a full bottle at that early morning feed? or a smaller one? and then do you feed again 4 hours later or when she wakes at 7? He's already 17 lbs, my chunky big boy, and eating what i have been "told" is the top end of oz / day, but maybe he just needs more food?

Offline lolsyb1982

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 14:31:09 pm »
Hi there and welcome!

Could you post a full day's schedule set out in the below format please as it makes it easier to spot areas which may need tweaking and contributing to his NW.

Wake 5
Eat 5
Sleep 7-9
Eat
Sleep
Etc
BT
Lauren

Offline melmor

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 14:58:28 pm »
thanks for looking at this, generally his day goes like this:

E:7 am
A:7- 9:15am
S:9:15-10:30am (straight thru)
E: 11 am
A: 10:30-12:30
S:12:45-2:30 (most if the time this nap is 2 - 40-50 mins where i have to rock him back to sleep in the middle, but sometimes he'll do 90-2 hr straight on his own)
E:3 pm
A: 2:30-4:30
S:4:30-5 / 5:15
E: 5:30 (bottle and cereal)
A: play, bath, bottle rocked to sleep
S: 7:15/ 7:45pm
E: dream feed 1030-11
he will sleep soundly until 3 ish and wake a few times for soother and goes right back to sleep
 he'll wake up 5 am and ill try to get him back to sleep but he usually only sleeps another 30-60mins max

Offline melmor

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 20:52:14 pm »
I forgot to mention that when he wakes at 5 he is taking to himself, and all smiles when I come in, I can get him to sleep again rather easily but when he wakes again 30-60 mins later he seems like he's ready to start the day.

Offline lolsyb1982

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 05:28:32 am »
Hi. I'll be back later to reply, just wanted you to know I haven't forgotten you!  :)
Lauren

Offline lolsyb1982

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 06:59:34 am »
There could be a couple of things here which are at play.

You may well be starting the 3-2 transition which happens around 5/6 months All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months I've attached the link for you to have a read through.

Also EW often signal a need for an A increase. I see he's sleeping for 1hr15 for that first nap which also can be slightly UT so I would give him a little push of maybe 10/15 minutes for that first A to see if it helps.

I've also attached the link for average A times which is really handy to save to your phone, I look at it all the time!

Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!
Lauren

Offline melmor

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 13:49:04 pm »
Thanks so much I will look at those links. Do you think in the meantime if he wakes talking and happy I should get him up and fees him? Or try to put him back to sleep? Or give him a quick feed and then try to go back to sleep ?
I just need some sort of plan in the meantime while we work on the other bigger issues and wait for hopefully some small changes to happen.  Thanks

Offline lolsyb1982

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 14:07:10 pm »
I think as you're having some success with resettling him at 5 I would definitely keep trying to do that. Even if he does only get another 30/60 minutes.
How are you getting him back off at the moment? Feeding? If so and he still takes the morning bottle when he gets up for the day then carry on.
Lauren

Offline melmor

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 14:27:29 pm »
When he wakes up at 5 initially I can just rock him back to sleep. However whenever he wakes up again he won't go back down so i feed him then, but not without trying to get him back down and he would have none of it. So it just makes us both frustrated and angry. 

This .morning was odd. He went to sleep early last night than normal and so his  initial wakeup was 4 am not 5 and so I got him back to sleep at 4 but he work up at 5 ready to go. So I got up and fed him, played and put him back to sleep for a nap before getting the big ones up. But that routine can't continue its adding another nap and bottle not starting to take it away. I hope maybe tonight hell go back to the other routine not waking at 4. It seems that when he hits about 10 hrs he doesn't want to sleep anymore at night. Is that possible ?

With some of the changes you suggested how long would it take until I would hope to see some changes with EW?

Offline lolsyb1982

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 17:37:18 pm »
Yes when they're in the transition of dropping a nap night sleep will often really drop.
I would say you should see some improvement within a few days of pushing that first A time.
Lauren